Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #91
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@aceflor: It's probably best to overwrite the diags partition and kernel using "known good" versions, but that's only the second step. As a first step, please do the following (again, from SSH):

Code:
tar czvf /mnt/us/aceflor-etc.tgz /etc/
then logout from SSH (Press Ctrl+D), disable usb network (";un"), unplug and replug the kindle, and upload the aceflor-etc.tgz somewhere (for instance on hotfile.com, or wherever you please). Then send me the link via PM (don't post it here).

I'm mostly interested to see why/how your machine is mounting the diags partition on boot, and those files will hopefully allow me to find that out.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #92
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Ok, but that will really have to be later tonight, I am in a rush right now, I have to pick up my kids. thanks for the time and..... CONGRATS on the well earned new "position"

Last edited by aceflor; 12-05-2012 at 09:20 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #93
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
... deleted. my command of past participles evades me...

Last edited by twobob; 12-05-2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Paratus' is the past participle of the Latin verb 'paro', which has the parts paro, parare, paravi, paratus. paro paras parat
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #94
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Maybe you could try using colors
Device jailbreak could be Red Jailbreak™ and Kindlet jailbreak could be ... Blue Jailbreak™.
And ixtab's real nick could be... Morpheus.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #95
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok, I received aceflor's files, and there's nothing obviously wrong, nothing weir in etc/upstart, and so on.

It still strikes me that the device automatically mounts the diags partition to /mnt/mmc. Anyway, here is the /etc/fstab:
Code:
/dev/mmcblk0p1    /             ext3   suid,exec,auto,nouser,async,rw,noatime,nodiratime 0      1
proc              /proc         proc   defaults                                          0      0
sysfs             /sys          sysfs  defaults                                          0      0
devpts            /dev/pts      devpts defaults,gid=5,mode=620                           0      0
usbfs             /proc/bus/usb usbfs  defaults                                          0      0
/dev/loop/0       /mnt/base-us  vfat   defaults,noatime,nodiratime,utf8,noexec,shortname=mixed              0      0
/dev/mmcblk1p1    /mnt/base-mmc vfat   defaults,noatime,nodiratime,utf8,noexec,shortname=mixed              0      0
fsp#/mnt/base-us  /mnt/us       fuse   rw,max_write=65536,max_readahead=65536,noatime,exec,nosuid,nodev,nonempty     0      0
fsp#/mnt/base-mmc /mnt/mmc      fuse   rw,max_write=65536,max_readahead=65536,noatime,exec,nosuid,nodev,nonempty     0      0
Can anybody enlighten me about what is really happening there? Like, what is mmcblk1p1, why is it vfat, and what are those weird fsp# format all about?

And of course: how can that explain that actually, /dev/mmcblk0p2 is mounted at /mnt/mmc after a normal boot? And that the diags partition is empty?

Oh aceflor, what on earth have you done to your poor device?

Last edited by ixtab; 12-05-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: /dev/mmcblk0p2! 2!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #96
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
And ixtab's real nick could be... Morpheus.

Well... since I'm already doing "gender obfuscation" (ixtab is a goddess after all), I'll stick with it and be Trinity.

Spoiler:

Last edited by ixtab; 12-06-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #97
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@all, concerning "Kindlet jailbreak": guess what, I'll just stay with "Kindlet jailbreak"
If people aren't able to read and understand the installation instructions posted in the thread, and again in the README files, and again on the screen - the exact message display is "This application requires the Kindlet Jailbreak to be installed. This is an additional jailbreak that must be installed on top of the Device Jailbreak, in order to allow Kindlets to get the required permissions. Please install the Kindlet Jailbreak before using this application." - then I guess that renaming it to ANYTHING doesn't help those people either.
No problem. Thanks for original warning message, I was lazy to look for it by myself.
Spoiler:
"This application requires the Sweet Puppies to be installed. These are an additional puppies that must be installed on top of the Itty Bitty Kitty Certificate, in order to allow Kindlets to get the required permissions. Please install the Sweet Puppies before using this application."

Maybe use it as easter egg, when it's April 1, according to Kindle time?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #98
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
... deleted. my command of past participles evades me...
you can try with just verbs, not conjugated, we will still understand you. Do try to do better than knc1 and just make sure you use the right pronoun
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #99
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
I could tell you, but I'd need to drop you and your cement shoes in the Med afterwards....

Seriously, I have no idea at all. I give it a good night kiss every evening, and I feed it good books, so it beats me.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #100
eureka

Quote:
ok, I received aceflor's files, and there's nothing obviously wrong, nothing weir in etc/upstart, and so on.

It still strikes me that the device automatically mounts the diags partition to /mnt/mmc. Anyway, here is the /etc/fstab:
Code:
/dev/mmcblk0p1    /             ext3   suid,exec,auto,nouser,async,rw,noatime,nodiratime 0      1
proc              /proc         proc   defaults                                          0      0
sysfs             /sys          sysfs  defaults                                          0      0
devpts            /dev/pts      devpts defaults,gid=5,mode=620                           0      0
usbfs             /proc/bus/usb usbfs  defaults                                          0      0
/dev/loop/0       /mnt/base-us  vfat   defaults,noatime,nodiratime,utf8,noexec,shortname=mixed              0      0
/dev/mmcblk1p1    /mnt/base-mmc vfat   defaults,noatime,nodiratime,utf8,noexec,shortname=mixed              0      0
fsp#/mnt/base-us  /mnt/us       fuse   rw,max_write=65536,max_readahead=65536,noatime,exec,nosuid,nodev,nonempty     0      0
fsp#/mnt/base-mmc /mnt/mmc      fuse   rw,max_write=65536,max_readahead=65536,noatime,exec,nosuid,nodev,nonempty     0      0
Can anybody enlighten me about what is really happening there? Like, what is mmcblk1p1, why is it vfat, and what are those weird fsp# format all about?

And of course: how can that explain that actually, /dev/mmcblk0p2 is mounted at /mnt/mmc after a normal boot? And that the diags partition is empty?

mmcblk1p1 most probably should be [micro]SD card. I know Kindle has no SD card slot. But maybe some development prototype has a SD card slot and this record in /etc/fstab was left by accident. Or maybe next customer-available Kindle (with next-next firmware 5.5.0) will have SD card slot and this possibility is tested with 5.3.0 on development prototypes.

fsp#<...> means mounting with the help of /sbin/fsp which stands for "Filesystem Proxy", uses FUSE and, I beleive, targets at pausing accidental file operations when userstore is accessible from computer (i.e. Kindle is connected to computer through USB).

So maybe /dev/mmcblok0p2 parition isn't diags parition anymore? Maybe it's empty parition and it was already intentionally empty right after producing the device (and before aceflor got it)?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #101
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@aceflor: Did your Kpw arrive with firmware 5.3.0 pre-installed?
If not, do you still have the 5.2 - 5.3 update.bin file that was used to update it?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #102
aceflor
Wizard

@eureka : but why only on mine ???
@knc1 : mine was one of the first US PW delivered, so it arrived with 5.2.0. I had Jailbroken it, to install kindlet (or puppies, or kitty, or whatever it is called now) and Collections Manager. It upgraded without my consent while i was downloading a book. After the JB Failer yesterday, I redid the update with the normal downloadable 5.3.0 bin available on the amazon.de site, which is where my Kindle is registered (because I thought it could help). The only file I have is this one, downloaded yesterday, but not the original 5.3.0 file that amazon used to upgrade my kindle from 5.2.0 to 5.3.0

Last edited by aceflor; 12-05-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #103
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I can answer that. After all my device had the unique diags /var/local wiper

It isn't only on yours, it's much more likely to be on a tiny subset (like b011 touch)of the PW's released and you are just the first to report it.

Heck you might be the only person to ever find it. This is the way of things.

I personally think that is really cool but for you it's probably an annoyance.

So yeah, My two cents?, You got part of a tiny crazy batch. for some obscure and most likely unknowable reason. Sweet!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #104
eureka

Quote:
Not only on yours. I didn't pay attention at it earlier, but my /etc/fstab is exactly the same (with /dev/mmcblk1p1 record). And I have Kindle Touch.

If /dev/mmcblk1p1 record isn't an unique, PW-specific thing, maybe my other speculations are wrong also... Maybe your diags was erased by some accidental user action (no offence assumed, it's still just a possibly wrong speculation).

EDIT: A bit of old meme: "I accidentaly diags. The whole thing."

Last edited by eureka; 12-05-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: I accidentaly diags...
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #105
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
@knc1 : mine was one of the first US PW delivered, so it arrived with 5.2.0. I had Jailbroken it, to install kindlet (or puppies, or kitty, or whatever it is called now) and Collections Manager. It upgraded without my consent while i was downloading a book. After the JB Failer yesterday, I redid the update with the normal downloadable 5.3.0 bin available on the amazon.de site, which is where my Kindle is registered (because I thought it could help). The only file I have is this one, downloaded yesterday, but not the original 5.3.0 file that amazon used to upgrade my kindle from 5.2.0 to 5.3.0
twobob probably described it better, but . . . .
Amazon was under a lot of pressure to ship the devices after such a marketing campaign - -
My guess is that they pulled back all units from the development teams and early evaluation programs -
Re-boxed them and shipped them as "new".

Which is why yours is "different" than the production runs - it isn't from a regular production run.

You have several choices - -

"Break" the firmware, call Amazon saying: "Its broke, exchange it please."

OR

Hang in here, there are at least 4 "known good" Kpw devices in developer's hands - they can send you files and directions on how to replace your firmware with "known good" firmware.

Using the PM system here to discuss either of the above choices is probably a good idea.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote