Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Drang
Drang began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600; Vizio Via Tablet
Audio Collections?

Is it possible to make a collection of .mp3/audio files? Or is that function limited to books?
Spent several days before leaving for vacation converting tunes to .mp3s and saving to an SD card, in subfolders by genre and/or artist, but when I look at audio files in the reader, they are listed by title OR author. I'd kind of like to be able to select, say, Frank Sinatra, or Mahler's 2nd, or The Pogues (why, yes, my tastes in music are somewhat eclectic), instead of "Play from the beginning through the end..."
Drang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
It just lumps all the mp3s in one long list, no matter what.

Where are you from? I'm a Pacific Northwest native, myself.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #3
Drang

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
It just lumps all the mp3s in one long list, no matter what.
Bummer. Dear Sony...

Quote:
Where are you from? I'm a Pacific Northwest native, myself.
Seattle, although, at the moment, Kailua-Kona...
Old 07-06-2010, 02:15 AM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drang View Post
Seattle, although, at the moment, Kailua-Kona...
Lucky you! I live in Japan. I'm from Bremerton but no one knows where that is so I usually just say Seattle.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:23 AM   #5
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Uhm, guys, does your battery last more than a couple of hours, when listening to the music?
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
banjobama
Busy Read'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Uhm, guys, does your battery last more than a couple of hours, when listening to the music?
The only time I used the mp3 player feature was to see if/how it worked, so I'm not sure. But undoubtedly it would make the battery drain faster.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
The only time I used the mp3 player feature was to see if/how it worked, so I'm not sure. But undoubtedly it would make the battery drain faster.
Based on my experience with the PRS-500, using the ebook reader as an MP3 player does significantly impact the battery life. In a relatively short time (compared to using it just as an ebook reader), the battery meter dropped by one bar in about an hour.

Rather than using my ebook reader as an audio player, I prefer to use a stand-alone audio player. Overall, it provides a better listening experience (such as a much-longer battery life and capacity [my current player has 8gb of storage], the ability to listen to my music the way that I want, and playlists) than my ebook reader does.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
Drang

Quote:
Couldn't organize the files, so didn't try it. I guess the question is, would it drain the battery so quickly that the device became unusable? I.e., would my device die halfway between Seattle and Hawai'i?
Maybe I should go ahead and invest in an mp3 player after all--if I flew, or rode the bus, or something--enough to make it worthwhile.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drang View Post
Couldn't organize the files, so didn't try it. I guess the question is, would it drain the battery so quickly that the device became unusable? I.e., would my device die halfway between Seattle and Hawai'i?
Maybe I should go ahead and invest in an mp3 player after all--if I flew, or rode the bus, or something--enough to make it worthwhile.
When I was travelling by plane (an 8-hour trip) I knew I would not have a way to charge my ebook reader and audio player during the trip. My ebook reader would have be plugged into a standard AC outlet, and my audio player would have to be connected to a computer. However, my audio player and my ebook reader (as long as I used it only as an ebook reader, see my previous post) had more than enough battery life for the trip.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
My PRS600 battery last about 3,5h. I bought it in December 2009
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:29 AM   #11
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
So, I guess, there next to no practical use for audio collections.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote