Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Slydini
Slydini began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
Review of Cybook Opus case on sale at Radio Shack!

I love my Cybook Opus but I'm saddened by its lack of third party accessories. Since the Sony Pocket Reader is barely larger than the Opus, I decided to buy 3 cases that were specifically designed for the PRS 300. This post will only review my favorite case which is currently on sale in select Radio Shack stores for only $19.99! Unfortunately, you need to act NOW (6/12) because the price goes back up to $24.99 after the sale. Sorry for the short notice, but I only stumbled across this today and I wanted to post this as quickly as possible – I hope that some of you are reading this in time for the sale! Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics – It looks better in person trust me.

Here's my quick review:

Merkury Innovations Explorer Pocket Case

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...L0606104199458

After close examination, I believe that this could be a rebranded version of the Executive Case sold by M-Edge – Not only do they look the same, but it also features the hidden slot to accommodate M-Edge's E-Luminator2 light, which is located below the top left corner of the device. The interior is a soft micro-suede and feels especially nice when folding the cover all the way back like a traditional paperback. Even though these types of cases expose three of the device's edges, I believe that the tradeoff far outweighs the hassle of taking it in and out of a slipcase. Maybe it's just me, but the process of sliding the strap and opening the case from right to left and bending it back makes it feel like you're reading a nicely bound book. Furthermore, the combined thickness of the Opus and the folded back case is only an inch, which adds just the right amount of heft when holding the device.

The material of the case is simulated leather and it looks much better than the leatherette that is used in the Bookeen slipcase. By comparison, the Merkury Innovations case has a slightly larger footprint than the included slipcase (see pics) so this means that it will still fit in a pair of cargo shorts/pants, a jacket pocket, or anywhere else that the slipcase would normally fit. When closed, the case is only slightly thicker than the slipcase.

The interior also features 4 pockets. The large pocket on the left side has 2 smaller pockets that are stitched on top – These are each capable of holding a vertically oriented standard business card. The larger pocket can fit a standard credit/ID card but it is NOT wide enough to accommodate 2 side-by-side credit cards without overlapping. The included pics detail this much better than I've described it. As I mentioned earlier, there is also a hidden pocket under the top left corner which can accommodate the M-Edge booklight.

So how well does the Opus fit in the case's 4 straps? LIKE A GLOVE – Everything is perfectly secure and you can read while laying on your back without fear of it slipping out and falling on your face (This is what happened to me when I tried the Case Logic hard case and M-Edge Latitude Case for the Sony Pocket Reader)! I don't think the pics do it justice because to my eyes, this case looks like it was specifically designed for the Opus – I especially like how each of the corner straps lay diagonally to meet the grey border of the Opus's screen. The power button is covered by the top left strap, but it's a simple matter to press on the strap to turn it off and on. The only slight annoyance is the closure strap which juts out between the page buttons. This doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would because the strap gently rests between the crook of your thumb and index finger while reading. If the length of the strap annoys you, you can fold it back under inbetween the case when folded back.

The only other detail I can think to mention is the embossed logos on the front and back. As you can see in the pics, it's very discrete so I don't think this is a big deal. The overall construction seems solid and well stitched, but if you're like me you might want to go to a select Radio Shack and check which one has the least amount of minor imperfections (Example: Crookedly placed logos, accidental scratches, etc.).

So that's it! Hopefully I've provided enough info – I look forward to hearing everyone's impressions. Even at the full price of $24.99, this case represents a much better value that the Noreve case – I actually think this one looks nicer because of the way the strap is designed – It looks more like a daily planner rather than an electronic gadget.

I'm also going to be reviewing how well the Case Logic and M-Edge Latitude Pocket Reader cases fit the Opus. For now, all you need to know is that the Merkury Innovations case at Radio Shack is your best bet. If you live in a rainy climate and need the best protection and a case that can be folded all the way back, then the Case Logic hard case for the Sony Pocket Reader may be a good choice. Don't even bother with the M-Edge Latitude case if you're hoping it'll fit the Opus – It slides out of the top left strap every time you open it so...

(I'll post these reviews later – JUST GET THE MERKURY INNOVATIONS CASE AT RADIO SHACK AND BE THANKFUL I TOLD YOU SO! )

P.S. If you're looking for a slipcase that fits the Opus, Radio Shack also has a Merkury Innovations Pocket slipcase that zips all the way around and has a small zipper compartment on the outside -- I saw it but i think its ugly so your mileage may vary. Its on sale today for only $14.95 (regularly $19.99)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0095.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	53285

Name:	IMAG0106.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	53286

Name:	IMAG0102.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	53287

Name:	IMAG0105.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	53288

Name:	IMAG0107.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	53289
Slydini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Slydini
Slydini began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
More pics!

So after a few days of breaking in the case I searched around for a booklight that could be attached to the hidden pocket below the top left corner of the device. First, I went to Best Buy to try out the M-Edge Eluminator2 light and fit perfectly in the pocket -- My main complaint with this light is that it doesn't travel well in a pocket and it cannot be stowed anywhere on the case when not in use. Worse yet, it sells for an overpriced $25

I went to my local Barnes and Noble and found this little gem -- The Mighty Bright UltraThin 2 LED Book Light

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Ultr...5009856/?itm=3

It's only $9.95 and it slides perfectly in the hidden pocket -- This avoids the potential of damaging the case when using a clip-on booklight. Once inserted, the light stays secured even when shifting positions while reading.

The 2 LED's are easily bright enough for the Opus and it can be folded up to a pocket friendly size; Alternatively, it can also be clipped onto the opening for the leather strap while closed (see pics).

Better news is that this case is still on sale for only $19.99 at Radio Shack until 6/19/10.

For those of you wondering about the security of the straps, I've actually tossed it up and down several times like a vertical frisbee and it hasn't shifted one bit! The design of the 4 bracket system also makes it really easy to remove whenever necessary. All in all, I am supremely confident that the Opus would stay in its case if I ever dropped it.

So for the combined cost of less than $30, I am extremely happy to have found a stylish, perfectly tailored case and an attachable portable booklight that can be easily carried wherever I go.

Feel free to ask me any questions...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0111.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	53436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0112.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	53437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0113.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	53438   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0114.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	53439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0115.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	53440  
Slydini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I wonder if the Cybook Opus would fit in an M-Edge Go Jacket for Sony Pocket Reader? It has corners too.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Do you think this case would work for a Pocketbook 360?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I doubt, they don't have the exact same size...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 02:04 AM   #6
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I just compared measurements of my cybook opus to a sony pocket reader: the sony is just 1/4" taller. Now I wonder if the dimensions of this cover is the same as the M-Edge dimensions of its covers for Sony Pocket. The Radio Shack website doesn't give its dimensions.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Thanks for the update on the book light. What do you mean by the m-edge light won't stay in the case? I had a Kindle m-edge executive case, and the case closed with the eLuminator 2 in the slot, but with the arm rotated down. Is the Sony version not the same? Or maybe the Best Buy version was too long? the eLuminator2 comes in a lot of different sizes to match the ebook devices.

I've got a Opus on the way, and a Sony 300, so I'm thinking about buying the m-edge Platform jacket for them to share until I figure out which one I like better.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I've got a Opus on the way, and a Sony 300, so I'm thinking about buying the m-edge Platform jacket for them to share until I figure out which one I like better.
Tell us when you receive your Opus because, although I have an Opus and I like it a lot, I'm always tempted by PRS-300 pink (only pink, I must confess).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Hey, this case is on sale again at 19.99 thru Saturday. I just got my Opus last week and while I don't mind the sleeve it came with, I'm used to my K1 type case where I just fold the front under it while I read, etc. and don't have to remember "where did I leave the case" because it is with the device. So, I just went to pick one of these up.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Tell us when you receive your Opus because, although I have an Opus and I like it a lot, I'm always tempted by PRS-300 pink (only pink, I must confess).
Well, I sold the 300 and kept the Opus. The deal breaker for me was the limited memory on the 300. The Collections feature was great, but the Opus has folders, so it was a draw.

I do miss the silence of the 300's buttons - the creaky plastic of the Opus drives me a little nuts, but it is outweighed by the light weight (bad pun intended).

Quote:
Hey, this case is on sale again at 19.99 thru Saturday. I just got my Opus last week and while I don't mind the sleeve it came with, I'm used to my K1 type case where I just fold the front under it while I read, etc. and don't have to remember "where did I leave the case" because it is with the device. So, I just went to pick one of these up.
Let us know how you like it. I'm thinking about the m-Edge Platform for the Opus - I like an easel case.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:53 AM   #11
MarlaChristy
MarlaChristy began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
Actually I really like the Opus case. Now we have the "instant on" button, I press it on and slide it out all in the same movement, with one hand. Because the case is so solid, I don't worry about the Opus getting broken.

I'd just like a different colour

I keep the Opus in my handbag, and if you saw how tiny my handbag was ...

Looooove the Opus.
MarlaChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I do miss the silence of the 300's buttons - the creaky plastic of the Opus drives me a little nuts, but it is outweighed by the light weight (bad pun intended).
Well, same for me but I think the same about the wieght

Quote:
Let us know how you like it. I'm thinking about the m-Edge Platform for the Opus - I like an easel case.
Are you talking about the case they make for the PRS-300?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #13
simplyparticular
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Are you talking about the case they make for the PRS-300?
Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. I figure if the straps on the Executive case work for the Opus, the Platform probably will, too. I may give it a try, anyway.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. I figure if the straps on the Executive case work for the Opus, the Platform probably will, too. I may give it a try, anyway.
Thank you very much, it's good to know they fit, I hadn't purchased it because I wasn't sure.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #15
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Well, actually, I think it is going to get returned.

What I like...nice exterior feel, very smooth. Good size, not too thick or thin. Straps do hold the Opus in place just fine...did not feel like it would fall out.

What I didn't like...I feel like the spine is not quite wide enough. When you close the case, the natural fall of the front flip ends up sitting more diagonally up than closing on the device. I'm used to a K1 case where the front cover does fall flat. Yes, you can press it down further and insert the belt to close it, but I just don't feel like it sits right. Maybe in part that is caused by the small pockets for business cards that are on the inside of the front cover too? I dunno. It is a nice little case, but I think I'm going to return it and stick with the original sleeve for now.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote