Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 09-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Tey, Josephine: The Man in the Queue, v1, 29 September 2009.

Josephine Tey (1896–1952)
The Man in the Queue (1929)

A man is stabbed in a queue for the theatre. The corpse has no identification and is carrying a gun. Inspector Grant investigates …

The source was PG Australia. The file had a lot of errors. Please tell me if you find any that I’ve missed, so that I can correct them.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc The Man in the Queue.prc (322.9 KB, 899 views)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks again for all your hard work, Patricia.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I hope that you like it, Alex.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've just bought the commercial version of this book (since it's not in the public domain for me in the UK) and I was interested to see that the version on PG Australia, which Patricia uploaded here, appears to have been "sanitised" for the modern reader. Eg, chapter 6 of the book in Patricia's version is called "The Levantine", but the original version of the text has the chapter title "The Dago". Many terms which which were in common use in the 1920s, when the book was written, are deemed offensive today.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I don't think it's for the "modern" reader.

The paperback version I own is from 1965, and its Chapter 6 is "The Levantine"

Mine is from "Berkley Medallion". But in the cover page, it lists the first edition in 1962, but then a new edition in 1965 (as opposed to just another printing). So maybe '65 is when the sanitized version appeared?

edit:

Indeed, looking up my other Tey books, I have The Daughter of Time from the same publisher.

It lists all the printings of it back from '71 back to '59. But there was also a "New Edition" of it in 1970. So I guess it was sanitized as well (of what, I wish I knew).

Last edited by JeremyR; 09-14-2011 at 06:51 AM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
circumstantial evidence, crime, detective, murder, mystery