Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Amazon Awarded Kindle Patent

Quote:
Amazon Awarded Kindle Patent

Posted by Alexander Wolfe, May 5, 2009 09:16 AM

In an unusual coincidence, one day before Amazon (NSDQ: AMZN).com is scheduled to unveil a new, widescreen Kindle aimed at newspaper readers, the e-commerce giant has been awarded what appears to be its first United States patent related to the device. The new patent, D591,741, is a design patent which protects the look and feel of the Kindle shell, not for fundamental technologies.
Full article here.

This patent is for the "design" of the Kindle only.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Full article here.

This patent is for the "design" of the Kindle only.
As if anybody wanted to copy that anyway....
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
As if anybody wanted to copy that anyway....
Do you have *one* positive thing to say about the Kindle?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I like the idea from Amazon: bring out lots of ebooks, add an ereader and spark some interrest for the whole concept of electronic books and e-ink!

I'm just dissatisfied with the way they did it: ugly reader, only available in one country, nobody else can buy those ebooks unless you have their reader...
Old 05-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I like the idea from Amazon: bring out lots of ebooks, add an ereader and spark some interrest for the whole concept of electronic books and e-ink!

I'm just dissatisfied with the way they did it: ugly reader, only available in one country, nobody else can buy those ebooks unless you have their reader...
Fair enough although I don't know that they are deliberately keeping the Kindle out of other countries. I believe they have some hurdles to overcome before they can release it outside of the U.S.
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Actually this is not true anymore - you can buy them if you have an IPhone/iTouch and those are millions around
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I didn't even know you could patent "ornamental designs". Interesting stuff.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Fair enough although I don't know that they are deliberately keeping the Kindle out of other countries. I believe they have some hurdles to overcome before they can release it outside of the U.S.
Yup, it's called WhisperNet. In their infinite wisdom, Amazon decided to partner with a cellular provider that is only available in the US.

From the Rumors I've heard, Verizon Wireless is in discussions with at least one other reader manufacturer. They are going down that same short sighted road!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Yup, it's called WhisperNet. In their infinite wisdom, Amazon decided to partner with a cellular provider that is only available in the US.

From the Rumors I've heard, Verizon Wireless is in discussions with at least one other reader manufacturer. They are going down that same short sighted road!
I don't think it's *just* Whispernet. Copyright issues vary by country and makes it difficult to serve content. You may have noticed the posts about BoB and Fictionwise asking what country the buyer lives in.

Whispernet is minor in comparison to having problems making content available. Even tough USB can get content onto the Kindle I do wish a Wi-Fi option was available.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
Actually this is not true anymore - you can buy them if you have an IPhone/iTouch and those are millions around
I never knew the Iphone and Itouch had an e-ink screen...

Oh, you mean the books? So, I should buy an Iphone (what's the Itouch, MP3 player?) I'd never use to get those books... And be stuck on a Tele2 (I believe it was) 2 year subscription while I already have a phone subscription... And I already have 3 MP3 players, don't need another one...

I only want an ebook-reader and a store where to buy my books...
Old 05-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post

Swapping out the radio for GSM would be fairly trivial. They could make an international version easily. If they wanted to provide the same level of service without any plan or charge for delivering purchased content, then they'd have to find partners in multiple areas. Yes, some US companies have roaming in other countries but that ain't cheap. Personally, I think they should make a model you could stick your own sim in if you like, but that still leaves the issue of ebook rights. My understanding is they're trying to build a catalog in other countries so they can sustain a release. Ebook rights aren't necessarily international.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
My understanding is they're trying to build a catalog in other countries so they can sustain a release. Ebook rights aren't necessarily international.
Yep, that's the reason Amazon has given for no Kindle in the UK and elsewhere. They've said they're waiting for the publishers in various countries to get enough titles out (they waited to launch K1 until they could offer 90,000 titles).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
My understanding is they're trying to build a catalog in other countries so they can sustain a release. Ebook rights aren't necessarily international.
Then why can I buy books at Fictionwise but not at Amazon?

Oh well, I'm not going to hold my breath on that one anyway... Right now, I'm more interrested what the largest Dutch web bookshop is going to do...
Old 05-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:

Oh well, I'm not going to hold my breath on that one anyway... Right now, I'm more interrested what the largest Dutch web bookshop is going to do...
Fictionwise is (or was) a smaller target and didn't check rigorously. Amazon has deep pockets. Now that Barnes and Noble owns them, we'll see how that goes.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Some folks have had to lie and say they are in the U.S. to get their books from BoB and Fictionwise.