Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Here are some of my favorites (not all available in region 1) -

The Big Sleep
Farewell, My Lovely (pan and scan only)
Carry On Up The Khyber (region 2 PAL only)
Young Lions
(a pair - watch in order)
Warlock (Western 1959)
My Name is Nobody
Original Ocean's 11
Original The Thomas Crown Affair
Father Goose
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #17
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh the ladykillers from 1955 is BRILLIANT !!! you should put that one at the top of the list !! which reminds me : Kind Hearts and Coronets (with Alec Guinness, Alec Guinness, Alec Guinness, Alec Guinness, Alec Guinness, Alec Guinness, and Alec Guinness. and i believe Alec Guinness and Alec Guinness also make cameo appearances) should also be at the top of the list.
I wouldn't be caught dead watching Kind Heart and Coronets....
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #18
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

And Zelda, I see your The Awful Truth and raise you with Libeled Lady! (Powell and Loy's finest)
Old 09-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #19
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well if you like old films (i do... you may have noticed)... Les Tontons Flingueurs is an absolute jewel of a gangster comedy. i'm not honestly sure how well it will work for non-francophones, because the dialogues were written by the all-time master of dialogue, Michel Audiard, and use lots of slang and idioms, but it's worth watching anyway. Another absolutely brilliant one is Drôle de Drame (i lent my dvd of that to someone over 2 years ago and haven't gotten it back yet ), that's a top of the list one as well. and one of my all-time favorites (not a comedy) is Jean Cocteau's Orphée (Orpheus). if you like suspense, Les Diaboliques, worthy of hitchcock. and if you want to see the heist turned into an art form don't miss Le Cercle Rouge which takes robbery to new heights of elegance (starring Alain Delon, by the way, France's major heartthrob actor from the 60's, and Yves Montand). you'll be cheering for the bad guys, seriously.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
The Big Sleep
Farewell, My Lovely (pan and scan only)
Carry On Up The Khyber (region 2 PAL only)
Young Lions
(a pair - watch in order)
Warlock (Western 1959)
My Name is Nobody
Original Ocean's 11
Original The Thomas Crown Affair
Father Goose
another of my all-time favorites !!! i won't even lend out that dvd. and the rest of that list wil be added to mine.
Quote:
I wouldn't be caught dead watching Kind Heart and Coronets....

Quote:
And Zelda, I see your The Awful Truth and raise you with Libeled Lady! (Powell and Loy's finest)
arg !! i'm still looking for that one !!!

i seem to recall that we've already decided that i want to borrow almost the entirety of your cinémathèque in a previous thread.
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #21
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
another of my all-time favorites !!! i won't even lend out that dvd. and the rest of that list wil be added to mine.

arg !! i'm still looking for that one !!!

i seem to recall that we've already decided that i want to borrow almost the entirety of your cinémathèque in a previous thread.
Well, Your Majesty, how do I delivery them?
Old 09-08-2008, 01:33 PM   #22
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Well, Your Majesty, how do I delivery them?
weren't the llamas supposed to take care of transporting things ? where are those slackers, anyway ??? haven't seen them in *days*.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #23
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Oh yesm the 2-headed llama in Dr Doolittle. What was its name? Push me-Pull me?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #24
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I look forward to the all-night Archer's-fest (Powell and Pressburger, for those not sure). Hopefully it will include I Know Where I'm Going, Battle of the River Plate (and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp and The Red Shoes for my other half) as well as the already suggested A Matter of Life and Death (which gets my vote for the best film ever).

I'd also like to see some of the early silents (like Metropolis, The Great Dicator, anything with Harold Lloyd): can we arrange a live musical accompanyment?

For more serious viewing, The Killing Fields, All quiet on the Western Front and Les Enfants du Paradis are a must (spot a theme, there?).

For the french speakers, how about the excellent Robert Le Page's Jesus of Montreal?

For a few more laughs, how about The Blues Brothers, Brazil, The Life of Brian and Shooting Fish.

I'll stop now; I spent too long involved with Film Societies at University....
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #25
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Oh yesm the 2-headed llama in Dr Doolittle. What was its name? Push me-Pull me?
Musicals!. Dammit Janet. I forgot musicals:
Singing in the Rain, My Fair Lady, Little Shop of Horrors...

Noo.. Stop it....

(Oh and The Philadelphia Story in the comedies, and <whack>....
Thank you...)
Old 09-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #26
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
I'd also like to see some of the early silents (like Metropolis, The Great Dicator, ....
Should have turned the volume up.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #27
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Perhaps The Wind and the Lion.... and, as a send-up on all those gangster films, Johnny Dangerously.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #28
LazyScot
DSil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Quote:
I'd also like to see some of the early silents (like Metropolis, The Great Dicator
Should have turned the volume up.

How about the original The Gold Rush -- which I've never seen. Or Battleship Potemkin that I only ever seem to catch a few bits of.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #29
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Got another musical for you, LazyScot Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
I think I was 9 or 10 when I saw it and kept worrying about someone getting hurt. It was an honest concern. They were dancing around with axes and my Daddy always taught me to be careful with an axe.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #30
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
Got another musical for you, LazyScot Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
I think I was 9 or 10 when I saw it and kept worrying about someone getting hurt. It was an honest concern. They were dancing around with axes and my Daddy always taught me to be careful with an axe.

Dreamer
teehee ! that's adorable.

Tags
movies, silliness, unutterable silliness