Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-13-2016, 03:47 PM   #61
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm stunned, after reading through this entire thread, to see there's no love yet for Blood on the Tracks, his absolutely greatest album. I considered it such when it came out, and according to Rolling Stone, the consensus has come around to my opinion.

That said, I'll always have a weakness for Like a Rolling Stone, the second greatest rock song ever.
It's Highway 61 Revisited for me.....followed by Blonde on Blonde....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:53 PM   #62
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I agree with those who said, 'Great Lyrics." Too bad he can't sing. Heh-heh. Seriously, he has written some great stuff and I'm glad to see a musician win.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #63
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Ah, the favourite album game...

Bringing It All Back Home
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:58 PM   #64
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From Rolling Stone (who stole their name from Bob)

"...It's love, it's theft, it's the fire he built on Main Street and shot full of holes. He didn't win for Chronicles, the finest rock & roll memoir ever. He didn't win for Tarantula, his famously indecipherable blown-off novel. He didn't win for his lyric sheets, which remain full of errors he's never bothered to fix. (No, it's not "don't try No-Doz." It's "don't tie no bows.") He didn't win for making it through all of F. Scott Fitzgerald's books or inventing the word "if'n." Or his liner notes ("if you do not know where the Insanity Factory is located, you should hereby take two steps to the right, paint your teeth & go to sleep") or his jokes ("I ordered some suzette, I said could you please make that crepe"). He won for inventing ways to make songs do what they hadn't done before...."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...-prize-w444799
Old 10-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #65
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
My favorite Dylan album is Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits from 1967.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #66
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Hey, seems Bob was on fire last week at Oldchella:

If the Nobel Committee were thinking of these lyrics?

I got a cravin’ love for blazing speed
Got a hopped-up Mustang Ford
Jump into the wagon, baby, throw your panties overboard
I can write you poems, make a strong man lose his mind
Ain't no pig without a wig
I hope you treat me kind
Things are breakin’ up out there
High water everywhere

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 10-13-2016 at 04:43 PM.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #67
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
As of 2007, Dylan was also the most quoted songwriter in court filings and scholarly legal publications and I doubt that anyone's passed him. His lyrics were even quoted by Roberts and Scalia in Supreme Court decisions. He's probably a more influential poet than most people realize.

My favorite Dylan album is also Blood On The Tracks, but I consider a couple of the songs to be short stories rather than poems.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #68
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I like it. I know people won't be happy until the big boys like Roth and Murakami get their dues, but the Nobel committee is going to do its thing and I suspect they secretly enjoy defying expectations.

Among the winners, Dylan is probably one of the most widely read
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #69
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I like it. I know people won't be happy until the big boys like Roth and Murakami get their dues, but the Nobel committee is going to do its thing and I suspect they secretly enjoy defying expectations.

Among the winners, Dylan is probably one of the most widely read
You have a point about him being widely read!!
Old 10-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #70
kennyc

Particularly since many consider audiobooks to be reading.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #71
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Particularly since many consider audiobooks to be reading.
Nope! I consider audiobooks to be listening. But once I've listened to an audiobook, I count it as read. Tense matters.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Old Ralph Waldo knew whereof he wrote.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #72
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Nope! I consider audiobooks to be listening. But once I've listened to an audiobook, I count it as read. Tense matters.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Old Ralph Waldo knew whereof he wrote.

I kinda like Second Person Future Tense.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #73
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I think my earlier post made it.clear.that I stand with those who like Dylan best when somebody else is singing, but really that's quite common with good writers. Neil Young needs to not sing. And Joni Mitchell now that her voice is gone.

I think one of the better recent renditions of Bob Dylan was Frazey Ford's version of "One More Cup Of Coffee."

Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #74
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
If any American songwriter deserves a Nobel prize for literature, it should be Stephen Sondheim, who is a genius lyricist.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #75
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

I would have chosen Mark Knopfler for lyrics (he's not American, but I think his stories are awesome). But there is no denying Dylan wrote some great songs.