Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-17-2016, 01:43 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Yes, that is just on 3G models.

If you still, repeatedly, don't believe me... then just go right ahead and read Amazon's official help page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201974310
Oh then they have changed that in the last few years. I know I was charged about 36 cents when I sent some docs to my Fire (not 3g) about 3 years ago.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #17
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Because Amazon explicitly says they will charge you?

Don't ask me, ask Amazon.
I know that they *say* that...they also *say* that you only have 7 days to return ebooks. What I'm questioning is whether it is actually true.

As I said, I could be wrong and I have gotten charged when sending personal docs to my mom's kindle, but I don't remember ever seeing a charge.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2016, 02:01 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I know that they *say* that...they also *say* that you only have 7 days to return ebooks. What I'm questioning is whether it is actually true.

As I said, I could be wrong and I have gotten charged when sending personal docs to my mom's kindle, but I don't remember ever seeing a charge.

Shari
The last time I returned a book, the CS rep was trying not to laugh.
Reason for return was "the author wanted me to look at the sample and I clicked buy." The author gave me the book.
The rep not only refunded the book but sent the sample to my kindle.

You have 7 days to use the return function. After that you must call Amazon.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #19
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
The last time I returned a book, the CS rep was trying not to laugh.
Reason for return was "the author wanted me to look at the sample and I clicked buy." The author gave me the book.
The rep not only refunded the book but sent the sample to my kindle.

You have 7 days to use the return function. After that you must call Amazon.
Yes...but the "after that you must call Amazon" is not actually listed in the official policies anywhere that I can see. This is what they say on the website about returning Kindle books:
Quote:
Books purchased from the Kindle Store can be returned within seven days of purchase. Once a refund is issued, you'll no longer have access to the book. To request a refund and return content, visit Manage Your Content and Devices, select the Actions button next to the title you'd like to return, and select Return for Refund.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/cus...5DE422D94F3078

That's why I'm questioning the stated guidelines for personal documents vs the way it actually is. To my knowledge, I've never been charged for the delivery of a personal document, even if it was sent to a device that was only connected to a 3G network. I think that if I had emailed it directly to the 3G only device I might have been charged, but that's not what I do. Usually I email books to my wifi Kindle, and they are then stored in the cloud. My mother later connects using her 3G only Kindle and downloads the document.

Shari
Old 05-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Yes...but the "after that you must call Amazon" is not actually listed in the official policies anywhere that I can see. This is what they say on the website about returning Kindle books:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/cus...5DE422D94F3078

That's why I'm questioning the stated guidelines for personal documents vs the way it actually is. To my knowledge, I've never been charged for the delivery of a personal document, even if it was sent to a device that was only connected to a 3G network. I think that if I had emailed it directly to the 3G only device I might have been charged, but that's not what I do. Usually I email books to my wifi Kindle, and they are then stored in the cloud. My mother later connects using her 3G only Kindle and downloads the document.

Shari
Nope, using the send to kindle no charge.
Sometimes I do wonder about Amazon policies.
I think even though it isn't official if you discover you bought an unreadable book due to formatting issues, they refund anytime but you do have to call. If you just didn't like the book I don't think they refund after 7 days.
Basically defective ebooks only.
Advert
Old 05-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #21
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Oh that isn't just on 3g models.
IIRC: depending on the way you send to kindle there is a 5 or 10 cent fee for larger docs.
Well I've been emailing 30--40MiB of stuff to the Kindle (@free.kindle.com, wifi) every week for years. No charges, ever, though of late Amazon has started cutting me off because they're too impatient to allow SMTP over ADSL, so I'm having to forward it all via gmail, which is a bit annoying: but still, no charges.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:44 PM   #22
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Yes, that is just on 3G models.

If you still, repeatedly, don't believe me... then just go right ahead and read Amazon's official help page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201974310
Yes, but there is a way round that.

Once the item is in the archives/ cloud you don't have to pay to download it.

Thus if I send a doc to a Wi-Fi only Kindle I don't have to pay AND it's now in the cloud and can be downloaded to my 3G Kindle at no charge.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #23
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post

Thus if I send a doc to a Wi-Fi only Kindle I don't have to pay AND it's now in the cloud and can be downloaded to my 3G Kindle at no charge.
...which is kind of what I was saying...

Shari
Old 05-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post

I was wondering if that was the case.

Although what I told Cinisajoy is still true -- you certainly aren't charged when you email it to a WiFi-only Kindle to begin with.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #25
lairdb
dog ear
lairdb began at the beginning.

Device: lots
Quote:
Well, you are already having to download the book itself over WiFi, and the page number is comparatively less important. I dunno, I don't usually think about this anyway -- I sideload on my single ereading device.
I suppose my use model is different from most -- I use my iPad as my primary reader, but I am planning to get a Kindle to use as my "outdoors" reader.

In that use model, loading books can be done at pre planned times (i.e. over wifi) but progress sync is critical and time-sensitive: I'd like to be able to walk inside, set down the Kindle, pick up the iPad, and continue where I left off. (And vice versa.)
lairdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairdb View Post
I suppose my use model is different from most -- I use my iPad as my primary reader, but I am planning to get a Kindle to use as my "outdoors" reader.

In that use model, loading books can be done at pre planned times (i.e. over wifi) but progress sync is critical and time-sensitive: I'd like to be able to walk inside, set down the Kindle, pick up the iPad, and continue where I left off. (And vice versa.)
To sync, both devices have to have wifi on.
And you have to click sync. It is not automatic.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #27
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
To sync, both devices have to have wifi on.
And you have to click sync. It is not automatic.
Actually, if I am reading on one Kindle, and then go to another and open the same book, it will automatically pop up a message asking me if I want to sync to the furthest page read. I don't have click sync from the first Kindle, and from the second, I just have to acknowledge the message. I do have to have wifi active on both devices, though.

Shari
Old 05-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

So you do have to acknowledge the sync message. And make sure both wifis are on.
I know many people read with wifi off.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #29
lairdb
dog ear
lairdb began at the beginning.

Device: lots
Quote:
So you do have to acknowledge the sync message. And make sure both wifis are on.
I know many people read with wifi off.
Why? Does it have an appreciable effect on battery life? Fear of NSA/SVR?
lairdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #30
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Battery life.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebok, sideload