Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
Sassyinkpen
Sassyinkpen began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPod Touch
Can I get Calibre to use my file name as a title?

My question refers most specifically to files I save as "html only" from blogs and journals.

Most of what I read is stories posted online and often they are in parts, etc. I have developed a pretty solid method of naming the files as I save them so that parts of stories stay together and other series are identified. I also often put some initials in the file name to give me information on characters, etc.

When I uploaded a large batch of these files to Calibre, I see that it's gone into the files somewhere, or they have metadata I wasn't aware of, and taken the titles from within, rather than using my file name.

Is there a way to tell Calibre to use my file names as the title, rather than whatever mining it's doing for titles?

Alternatively - is there a way to add a column that has the file name rather than the title?
Sassyinkpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Preferences ==> Import/Export ==> Adding Books. Uncheck "Read metadata from file contents rather than file name".

You can configure the regex used for reading the metadata from the filename, on the bottom of the dialog.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Sassyinkpen
Sassyinkpen began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Preferences ==> Import/Export ==> Adding Books. Uncheck "Read metadata from file contents rather than file name".

You can configure the regex used for reading the metadata from the filename, on the bottom of the dialog.
Thank you!! I don't think I ever would have found that.

After a crash course in regex and some trial and error, I finally got it to do what I wanted it to do AND convert the htmls to epub while it was at it.

I certainly would not have known to learn how to edit the regex at the bottom without your help. You are greatly appreciated.
Sassyinkpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassyinkpen View Post
Thank you!! I don't think I ever would have found that.

After a crash course in regex and some trial and error, I finally got it to do what I wanted it to do AND convert the htmls to epub while it was at it.

I certainly would not have known to learn how to edit the regex at the bottom without your help. You are greatly appreciated.
Happy to help. Just passing on the love now that I have graduated.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adding books, file name