Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
myce
myce began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
"Send to Main Memory" greyed out after "Connect to folder"

I set "connect to folder" to a folder on my harddisk. I thought I could use "Send to Main Memory" or "Send and delete from Library>Main Memory" afterwards to copy (move) Books to that folder. But the options stayed greyed out. What am I missing here?
myce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by myce View Post
I set "connect to folder" to a folder on my harddisk. I thought I could use "Send to Main Memory" or "Send and delete from Library>Main Memory" afterwards to copy (move) Books to that folder. But the options stayed greyed out. What am I missing here?
Does the bottom (Status) line of Calibre say 'Connected to folder device' ?

Anything odd about that folder?
Non ASCII path?
You did say Hard disk. Not a network shared disk?
Do you have FULL (rwx) rights to the folder?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
myce

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Does the bottom (Status) line of Calibre say 'Connected to folder device' ?
No.

Quote:
Anything odd about that folder?
No.
Quote:
Non ASCII path?
No.
Quote:
You did say Hard disk. Not a network shared disk?
Harddisk. I created it freshly as "C:\ctest". My first attempt was a network drive, but then I thought this might be a problem, so I created it on drive C.
Quote:
Do you have FULL (rwx) rights to the folder?
Yes. This is even under Win XP, so no funky "drive C is not writeable"-business either.

Any logfile that could shed some light on my problem?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No.

No.

No.

Harddisk. I created it freshly as "C:\ctest". My first attempt was a network drive, but then I thought this might be a problem, so I created it on drive C.

Yes. This is even under Win XP, so no funky "drive C is not writeable"-business either.

Any logfile that could shed some light on my problem?
You did not successfully 'Connected To Folder', that is why the choice is grey.

Why did connect fail?
Was another device attached (on device column shows)? Only 1 (folder) device allowed at a time

Any error messages while connecting to folder?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats

The debug Log
Preferences Icon (the menu): Restart in debug mode
Or Ctrl-Shift+R (you should see notes about what/where is the Log)

Then do all steps of connect, send to device that you can. Then quit Grab (copy or Move) and save the Log
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 05:47 AM   #6
myce

This is my debug log:
Code:
calibre Debug log
calibre 1.18  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', 'XP', '5.1.2600')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('XP', '5.1.2600', 'SP3', 'Uniprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Exception in thread Thread-5:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "threading.py", line 808, in __bootstrap_inner
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 400, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 262, in detect_device
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\scanner.py", line 324, in scan
WindowsError: [Error 13] Die Daten sind unzulässig

Started up in 33.57 seconds with 10 books
I forgot to mention that the machine this is running on is a VirtualBox virtual machine.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

"The Data are Archived" ???
Is this destination a compressed folder?
Old 01-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
myce

Just checked it to be sure: No, no compressed folder.
"Die Daten sind unzulässig" means "Data is invalid" in English.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You have something in your OS that is preventing calibre from querying for removable drives. I have no idea what that might be.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Just checked it to be sure: No, no compressed folder.
"Die Daten sind unzulässig" means "Data is invalid" in English.
Google Translate did me in
Old 01-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #11
myce

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You have something in your OS that is preventing calibre from querying for removable drives. I have no idea what that might be.
It is a standard WinXP installation inside VirtualBox. There should be nothing explicitly preventing it. Maybe Calibre doesn't like Virtualbox? Is there any additional data I could provide to you?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, the only way I know of to debug this is to compile calibre from source and then figure out which windows api call is failing by putting in the appropriate debugging code, and then pray that somewhere, someone knows why that api call is failing on your particular install. All, in all, way too much work.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #13
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I am not familiar with VirtualBox (I have used others though), but if you are using a removable drive as mentioned and it is USB, then my first investigation would be checking VirtualBox's USB support. It may be just that it has to be enabled, or it has to be explicitly checked to see if it is still attached in each session, or there may be some trickery required according to what host OS you are using and which Oracle's VirtualBox technical support documentation may assist in.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #14
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Gotten curious I've been looking at the code of 1.9 if I could see why it might think the device is not connected but I don't see any .scan at that line number.

I did however notice a mention of 'blacklisted device' in the neighborhood of that line.

Having only used VPC in my time, I know that the virtual hd must also have a device id. Could it be that the device id that VBox has assigned to the virtual HD, happens to be, or conflicts with, a blacklisted one?
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:04 AM   #15
myce

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I am not familiar with VirtualBox (I have used others though), but if you are using a removable drive as mentioned and it is USB, then my first investigation would be checking VirtualBox's USB support. It may be just that it has to be enabled, or it has to be explicitly checked to see if it is still attached in each session, or there may be some trickery required according to what host OS you are using and which Oracle's VirtualBox technical support documentation may assist in.
The selected folder is a simple folder on the (virtual) C:-drive. No USB involved here.