Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
pufff
Enthusiast
pufff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Help please! New Kobo Mini - problem?

Bought a Kobo Mini from Argos this afternoon. Charged it for a while and transferred a couple of book to it. Battery indicator says 100%. When I unplugged it, it froze. Holding the slider did nothing. I plugged it back in and it reset and my 2 books have now gone!
Why did it freeze? Does a reset lose the books? Feel like taking it back to the shop right now!
pufff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pufff View Post
Bought a Kobo Mini from Argos this afternoon. Charged it for a while and transferred a couple of book to it. Battery indicator says 100%. When I unplugged it, it froze. Holding the slider did nothing. I plugged it back in and it reset and my 2 books have now gone!
Why did it freeze? Does a reset lose the books? Feel like taking it back to the shop right now!
did you do a factory reset? If so, yes it is quite normal for sideloaded books to be erased, as well as everything else (bookmarks etc), as the device is reset to factory status. You will probably have to do a sync to get the latest firmware version.

When unplugging, did you do so safely (i.e. "eject device")? This is quite important to avoid trouble.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
pufff
Enthusiast

When I ejected from the computer I did use "safely eject".
Old 06-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
pufff
Enthusiast

It doesn't do anything unless it's plugged in. When I plug it in it restarts. I always use "safely eject".
Old 06-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
pufff
Enthusiast

I should say that I was a bit worried when I took it out of the bag because it had been opened and there was an Argos sticker on it saying "checked and examined by XXX". Is that usual?
Advert
Old 06-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pufff View Post
I should say that I was a bit worried when I took it out of the bag because it had been opened and there was an Argos sticker on it saying "checked and examined by XXX". Is that usual?
Is it "usual"? Yeah, for something that had been returned to the store....
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
That sounds like it has a bad battery. I be exchanging it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
pufff
Enthusiast

Taken it back. Trying again. Fingers crossed!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Are you sure it wasn't doing a firmware update?? If it's the first time you plugged it in, it could very well have been updating. Most people say it has the appearance of freezing, but it just needs a bit more time to boot up (they ARE a bit slow).

Otherwise, try and charge it up/plug it in, do a factory reset and firmware update. If it is indeed the battery dying on you, I'd request an exchange.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote