Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
Calibre and Nook Classic / STR

I had posted over in the Nook board, but it was suggested I move my query over here ...

I would like to purchase a Nook STR Glow, however, while the device functionality fits my needs, the library management on the STR is horrible (in my opinion). It sounds like using Calibre would be a better organizational tool.

I went to the Calibre website and viewed the demo videos. I see how Calibre works on the PC, but I'd like to know more about how it works on my device.

I currently own a Nook Classic. I thought I would download Calibre and "play" with it on my Classic.

Who will this look? I assume all of my books would show up under "My Documents", even the B&N books, if they are sideloaded. Will the Categories or Genres then show at headings, much like the Shelves do? Can I jump to a Category or Genre using Nook's "Go To" function? Can I move a book to a different Category or Genre on the Nook, or do I need to do that from within the software on my PC? (I move books to a "finished" shelf when I'm done reading them)

So, then will things work the same on the STR?

Currently, on my Nook Classic, I have Shelves like "Library Books"; "Mysteries"; "Reference"; "Historical"; "Kids"; and "Finished". Would I use Categories or Genres to organize my Calibre library in the same manner?

Thank you for all of your help and advice!

Susie
Kansas
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
MooseFam5
Enthusiast
MooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Nook STR, Nook Tablet
Unfortunately, while Calibre's library management on your PC can't be beat, Calibre can't really help on the Nook device itself. (That is a limitation of the Nook environment- not Calibre's.) Take a look at this FAQ: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....es-on-the-nook

The one piece of good news is that all books on the Nook STR show up under "Books" in the library. B&N purchased content and sideloaded books- all appear in the same place. The ugly part is the Nook's Shelves functionality. You have to individually add books to each created Shelf. You could certainly create a Shelf for "Mystery" but then would have to individually add each book to that Shelf from the library interface on the Nook. It is a slow, cumbersome process.

Definitely take a look at the Catalog functionality of Calibre. (http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/catalogs.html) This allows you to create a new ebook catalog of your library. This new book can be loaded onto your device and read there. You could have your Catalog cross-reference books based on genre. That is a decent workaround for the Nook's subpar method of grouping books on the device.

Good luck!

Last edited by MooseFam5; 01-10-2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Corrected a reference to "genre"
MooseFam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
I think I'm not asking the right question ... or maybe I am and I 'm not wrapping my brain around the answer.

On the STR ... using Calibre .... if I have created catalogs of my Library (or categories or genres ... still not quite clear on what the hierarchy would be) ... and I sideload that onto the STR ... will my books show up in some sort of sorted order .... all Mysteries together, all Library books together, all Reference Books together ... and then I can jump to or go to a specific level and choose a book?

It sounds like on the device itself, all functionality is lost ... so, if that's the case, why use the software? I don't need to organize my books on my computer, I need to organize them on my device.

I know I can use the native shelving system on the B&N Nook. The system on the Classic eInk reader I have is workable. The system on the STR is very cumbersome and would frustrate me in no time. The user should be able to pick a BOOK and choose what shelves to put it on, not pick a SHELF and choose the books (or at the very least, provide both options)

I'm looking for something to REPLACE the native shelving system on the Nook STR.

Thanks again for all your help!
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
MooseFam5
Enthusiast
MooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueMooseFam5 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Nook STR, Nook Tablet
Out of the box, Calibre will not provide the type of organization on the device that you are looking for. You can modify the default folder structure to store books. See this section (http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui.html#save-to-disk) and this section (http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/temp...atelangcalibre) of the manual. This would allow you to group them differently. That would really only help you if you were navigating through the "My Documents" area on the Nook, not in the broad "Books" section, though.

Frankly, the Shelves function is the worst part of the Nook environment. I'm amazed that Barnes & Noble seems not to care.
MooseFam5 is offline   Reply With Quote