Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
wolfsbayne
wolfsbayne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wolfsbayne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wolfsbayne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Completely fed up

Got my kobo today, really feel like taking it back for a refund but can't as house rabbit managed to chew the cable :-(

Loaded about 400 books (epub) from calibre onto the kobo - only 16 are visible. They're in the root folder if I go into the device through my computer. Similarly, put about 100 books onto an SD card (had to drag directly into folder as calibre couldnt sync with kobo with the card in) - only 10 or so pdf are visible.

Tried ADE and it just keeps coming up with error #2038

Tried kobo desktop app (downloaded from the kobo website) and it says it cant sync with the device as it needs the latest version?! No update thing pops up, according to the website that is the latest version and I updated the kobo as soon as I received it!

Im seriously fed up and tearing my hair out here, thought it was going to be so much better than the kindle and so far its next to useless.

It's the kobo reader wifi btw - anyone got any bright ideas?
wolfsbayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Well... first of all Kobo Support...

By Email
Email us anytime, 24-hours a day at: help@kobobooks.com

By Phone
Kobo Help Line, United States and Canada:
1-866-204-4714
(8am - 12am EST)

or

http://getsatisfaction.com/kobo
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Try using a version older then 0.8.7 of calibre.

I have Kobo Touch and having all sots of problems transferring books to my sd card inside KT. There was a post about eject from calibre not working properly.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
sorry you are having such trouble. first question were this legally obtained epubs? If not the problem may lie with the files themselves as such things go...if they are legal than yes try kobo support.
remcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I think people sometimes forget that although Kobo staff are very often here on MR, it is not an official support site. Peter, you gave great info--k to you!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 05:06 AM   #6
wolfsbayne
wolfsbayne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wolfsbayne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wolfsbayne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks

Peter, im in the UK, I can't just ring you guys and the last two support messages I sent haven't been answered yet (one a week old) so sorry for trying to find a quicker/easier answer!

I managed to get ADE working last night and when I clicked on the device it showed the epubs i'd put on - so they are obviously there it's just that the kobo itself doesnt seem to want to play.

Anyway, have tried a factory reset and will have another go today and see what happens.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:28 AM   #7
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
Well, I bought a 16 (or 14 - I'm always mixed up) gig card and I had close to 700 comics to put on it.
I dragged them onto the card - and it told me something like "700 hours left" so, I went for a shower, did my things and withing less than 40 minutes or so, everything was on my gig card.
I don't use calibre unless I have to convert.
I don't use the eject function when I use the card.

Sorry you're having trouble but, I guess I'm one of the lucky people who's 100% (and more) satisfied...
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
wolfsbayne

I think it possibly is calibre, managed to get into ADE and put 8 books in and they've all shown up. So I think calibre to convert and then ADE to transfer - fingers crossed im right.

Not sure why dragging files onto my sd card didnt work - the pdfs did but not the epub. I know ive seen on a few forums that sometimes the kobo has difficulty with sd cards over 4gb so it might just be that. As long as I know the kobo itself is ok then im happy to keep trying different things to work it out.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsbayne View Post
Thanks

Peter, im in the UK, I can't just ring you guys and the last two support messages I sent haven't been answered yet (one a week old) so sorry for trying to find a quicker/easier answer!

I managed to get ADE working last night and when I clicked on the device it showed the epubs i'd put on - so they are obviously there it's just that the kobo itself doesnt seem to want to play.

Anyway, have tried a factory reset and will have another go today and see what happens.
Actually installing skype should allow you to call them for free if the support number is 1 800- 1-866 or 1-877

then you can talk to them for free also sleepless depeding on the time zone.

good luck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
wolfsbayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Actually installing skype should allow you to call them for free if the support number is 1 800- 1-866 or 1-877

then you can talk to them for free also sleepless depeding on the time zone.

good luck
Hadn't thought of that - thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

One (or more) of the epub files is likely corrupted or malformed. I don't know much about the KT myself, but saw this problem back when the KO first came out a bunch of times.

Try copying the books over in chunks until you find the group with the bad file, then repeat with that batch until you narrow it down.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
wolfsbayne

Thanks, had an email from kobo telling me to take the reader back and get a replacement as ive been having other problems (pages taking forever to turn) but im going to get a refund and go for a kindle instead I think. My Dad has a kindle, tried the same books on his and no problems whatsoever.