Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
kjturner71
kjturner71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Can't get the WiFi to connect

I am unable to get my Kobo to connect to my home Wi-Fi. It finds the network and the signal strength is strong, but after I enter my WEP security key (a 26-digit number -- yech! I really need to change that) it fails to connect. I've entered and re-entered the key a few times and double and triple checked that I'm putting in the correct key and still no connection.

Any suggestions?
kjturner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Any chance you have MAC address filtering turned on? If not, can you tell me what make your router is?
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Also, double check that you are using the correct router password. My LinkSys computer software uses Arial font in it's window to display the password alphanumerics. I lost half a day because I thought "l" was a capital "I" or a "1" and not a lower case "L". Also, watch "0" and "O".
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, kjturner71

when you've sorted out your problem, come along and introduce yourself.

Feel free to use the link below.

MobileRead has lots to offer, and much to learn from.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Diane Stanley
Diane Stanley began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I had this exact same problem with the first unit I had. Tried to connect it to my own network as well as my neighbours and the Starbucks at the store I bought the unit from. In the end I exchanged the unit and it worked right away. My unit just had to have a problem with it. Now the new unit connects in seconds.
Diane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
kjturner71

I have a 2Wire Modem/Router (model: 2701-HG-G) that Bell issues.

Mac filtering is off and I know I'm not mistyping the password.

I even tried temporarily turning off my Wi-Fi security completely and it wouldn't connect.

I will try it at a Starbucks tomorrow to see if I have success with someone else's Wi-Fi.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjturner71 View Post

I even tried temporarily turning off my Wi-Fi security completely and it wouldn't connect.

I will try it at a Starbucks tomorrow to see if I have success with someone else's Wi-Fi.
Thanks - let me know how it goes. The Starbucks should auto-connect.

You can also try doing a factory reset - your WiFi configuration on the device might be corrupted and that should fix it.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:28 AM   #8
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
I am unable to get my Kobo to connect to my home Wi-Fi. It finds the network and the signal strength is strong, but after I enter my WEP security key (a 26-digit number -- yech! I really need to change that) it fails to connect. I've entered and re-entered the key a few times and double and triple checked that I'm putting in the correct key and still no connection.
There is also another chance that kobo cannot connect if the router
uses mixed mode. I'm sure some devices fail for that reason. Do you
have success with "g" mode only?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
kjturner71

Update: I tried my Kobo wi-fi at a nearby Starbucks and it worked! So that is good news... now I just have to try to figure out why I can't connect to my home wi-fi. What I might do is disable the routing capabilities of the Bell modem/router I have at home and hook up my Linksys WI-Fi router and see if I have better luck with that.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
If it is the same piece of ... that Aliant (now Bell) offers in NB it is a minor miracle that you are able to get Internet access at all... I imaging that you will be fine with the Linksys
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I have the same modem/router and it works fine, so it shouldn't be a problem with that model.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:14 AM   #12
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/2701HG_user_guide.pdf
I assume there is some misconfiguration, since another poster have it
up and working. Just check all options and be sure there is no mac fil-
teriing or if you have it on, is the correct mac address added. Set it
to one protocol only, i.e. "g". I would use wpa2 aes with 26+ pass. Set
name servers correctly and be sure your reader gets IP address, static
or dynamic. My best bet is that your router does not give address as
it should. For that check dhcp section.
Best regards.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #13
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
To clarify what @zoran said, your chosen encryption method (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.) chosen for your reader must match what you have set in your router. Mine is WPA-Personal which is the same as WPA, not WPA2. It doesn't matter which but they must match.

Double check your MAC address if you are using the MAC filter for your router, or turn it completely off in your router software, save the new settings for the router and then try.

Make absolutely sure you are typing the router encryption key (password on the Kindle screen for WiFi info) properly. See my earlier post about mistaking letters/numbers because of ambiguous font displays for 1, I, l, 0 and O.

Last edited by mldavis2; 10-27-2010 at 07:06 AM.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Sad to say, but it could be down to the Kobo unit itself. We have Bell wireless and we had no problem setting up my husband's Kobo wifi. My unit, however, just won't connect to the network. I've been trying since I got it on Saturday. If I can't connect soon, I'll probably have to exchange the Kobo. (So much for my 4 kobo-no problems at all post!)

And I was the one who set up my husband's Kobo for him (I wanted to see if it was just my unit that had the problem) so I know it's not something I'm doing wrong. I've tried resetting it with the paperclip, but still no luck. (I think I almost have my 26 number pass code memorized!)
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #15
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Sao,
Please try a factory reset on your device before giving up. That has been helpful for other customers.

Tags
kobo, wifi