Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #46
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
I'm also finding that the sleep option on my glo doesn't work since updating. It turns off ok so there's no hardware fault.
Hi Simond

I had that (It was also running very slow).

Restore to factory defaults, then reinstall update cleared the problem for me.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #47
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Hi Simond

I had that (It was also running very slow).

Restore to factory defaults, then reinstall update cleared the problem for me.
As it happened after leaving it on for a while it then started working, I'd hazard a guess it was doing some sort of reindex, it's been working fine since then strangely enough
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #48
spud357c
Enthusiast
spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Glo and Nook Color
Just curious if anyone in Canada has received this new firmware, I have tried syncing several times but get a message that 2.1.5 is current.
spud357c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #49
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
I am in Canada and got the update on my mini last week but not on my glo yet.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #50
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud357c View Post
Just curious if anyone in Canada has received this new firmware, I have tried syncing several times but get a message that 2.1.5 is current.
Here in Woodstock, Ontario, I synced Friday 12/14 (WiFi) and it updated to 2.3.1. That was on the Kobo Glo. Haven't synced the Touch.

Last edited by Woodstonian; 12-17-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #51
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Toronto, got 2.3.1 on my Glo, but not Touch, yesterday. Not sure when it became available since it was the first time I synced in weeks.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #52
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Hmmmm,

Call me old fashioned, but I think it still comes down to a lot of paying attention to what you're doing as you go -and remembering to cross all the T's and dot all the I's. I think that becomes markedly more difficult when others are making changes that you end up being dependent on while in the middle of things -maybe I'm just not designed to play well with others...

I probably shouldn't say this, but every time I do a firmware update on the KT and flip through the settings pages I shudder when I hit the About page and there are two full pages of names... Too many cooks for my taste, even if only a fraction represent the coding team. Maybe I'm just used to doing more with less.
You haven't worked in a big project, have you? None of the projects I've worked could have been done only by a person. And crossing T's and dots as the only validation method is quite weak for me. As a developer and project manager, both. Maybe I'm spoiled because of the project size.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
You haven't worked in a big project, have you? None of the projects I've worked could have been done only by a person. And crossing T's and dots as the only validation method is quite weak for me. As a developer and project manager, both. Maybe I'm spoiled because of the project size.
Nor really on topic but your choice of name makes me wonder if you are a Stephen R. Donaldson fan?

During one spot of gainful employment, I spent most of my time on the hardware side but did, for my sins, manage a couple of software projects. The Peter principle at it's worst. I was a hardware guy not a cat herder so why put me in charge of a coding project?

Testing took more time than coding even when we tried to follow what were considered best practices at that time. One was a real time control project which led me to learn more than I ever wanted to know about race conditions -- I started to twitch when mutex, lock, critical section and a few other phrases came up in the conversation with the real programmers.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 12-17-2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Fat fingers cause typos...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #54
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Nor really on topic but your name makes me wonder if you are a Donaldson fan?
Mainly of the book with this character, yes Here I live in Madrid, in other forums I live "In the country of the bend mirrors" (I don't know the original expression, in Spanish: "En el país de los espejos curvos").
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #55
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
My Glo just got version 2.3.1 near Seattle. Haven't used it much yet, but I do like the way the sales and marketing material is segregated from the day-to-day reading controls on the home page now, but is still only one touch away. A nice compromise. I hope it stays.

They also fixed the bug that lost the black bar at the bottom when you put your Glo into sleep, my personal peeve. Now it comes back when you wake your Glo -- if it was already on when you slept your device, of course.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #56
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
My Glo just updated from 2.1.5 to 2.3.1 in New Zealand.

Two good things I have noticed: Device information page now shows space left on my micro SD card, and I can adjust the margins in some sideloaded .epubs that couldn't be adjusted in 2.1.5.

One very bad thing: After selecting a book that I am currently reading, the first page turn takes me to a random page instead of the next page :-( As long as I stay in the book everything works from there on, but if I leave the book and reenter again then the first page turn will again take me to a random page.

Two steps forward, one large step back.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #57
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
After selecting a book that I am currently reading, the first page turn takes me to a random page instead of the next page :-(
OK this is not as bad as I first thought, the problem seems only to affect the book that I was reading at the time the update to 2.3.1 took place.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #58
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
OK this is not as bad as I first thought, the problem seems only to affect the book that I was reading at the time the update to 2.3.1 took place.
Is this an epub or kepub? For an epub, 2.3.1 has a bug in how the reader keeps track of the current chapter. This also affects how it records the reading position for when you reopen the book. It is possible that the 2.3.1 is having a problem with the position stored by the previous firmware. Try opening the TOC, and selecting the current chapter. Then see if you can page forward to where you are up to. If that doesn't work, delete the book from the device and add it again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #59
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
Since the update, my Mini has been a little weird. I get the dead tap, turn 2 pages happening quite a bit and I've had some jerky page refreshes as well. I powered the unit off and then on but it hasn't made a difference. I'll soldier on for a little bit longer because I'm really not feeling a factory reset right now.

Anyone else having similar issues?
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #60
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Is this an epub or kepub? For an epub, 2.3.1 has a bug in how the reader keeps track of the current chapter. This also affects how it records the reading position for when you reopen the book. It is possible that the 2.3.1 is having a problem with the position stored by the previous firmware. Try opening the TOC, and selecting the current chapter. Then see if you can page forward to where you are up to. If that doesn't work, delete the book from the device and add it again.
The book is Blindsight by Peter Watts, a free epub from Feedbooks. Deleting and reloading the book didn't help. I leave the book on page 160 of 259, and when I reopen the book the page number shows 160, but upon closer inspection it is actually on page 155, so when I turn the page it correctly advances to the next page and the page number changes from 160 to 156.

So the problem is not that it turns to the wrong page, just that it is opening the book at the wrong page while displaying the number of the page that it should have opened at rather than the one it actually did open at.