Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Kobo Arc?

So the vox is no longer supported? It's not even a year old?
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherslock View Post
So the vox is no longer supported? It's not even a year old?
Where has there been an announcement that support for the Vox is being withdrawn?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Support will continue for the Vox from what they say:

http://www.kobo.com/koboarc/support/

1. Can I upgrade my Kobo Vox to the Kobo Arc?

Unfortunately, the breakthrough Tapestries user experience and Discovery technology are highly integrated into the Kobo Arc hardware and software. However, we are committed to supporting the Kobo Vox and will be delivering many new feature enhancements over the coming year.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
thats good to hear that the vox is going to get some enhancements

I have the nexus 7 now so not interested in the arc, but i do still enjoy reading on the vox
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
oops**

Last edited by peterhondak; 09-06-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: **ooops**
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhondak View Post
the arc is just a lit reader from the quick look I took. eInk, not colour and no apps.
Better take another look. The Arc is a LCD tablet type device (an updated spec Vox).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
Not long a go I posted asking if anyone knew of a new tablet and now we know. Not one but three. It will be interesting to see how well they manage the upgrades after the mess they made of the touch 2.00 upgrade.

For me it's time out on the kobo tablet experience. My vox never manages to post what I am reading to face book, the pulse experience is flat because it seems that people do not know how to use it. I have already decided to replace my vox with my playbook and use the kobo application. I also have my touch which I still enjoy reading. So sorry kobo I have had enough of your tablet reading experience which feels like a gimmick to me when you get down to it. One other thing will you be able to load DRM epubs on to the arc that have not been bought from the kobo store. I have always thought that not being able to import non kobo DRM books on to the vox flew in the face of the kobo reading mission.
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.culloch View Post
Not long a go I posted asking if anyone knew of a new tablet and now we know. Not one but three. It will be interesting to see how well they manage the upgrades after the mess they made of the touch 2.00 upgrade.

For me it's time out on the kobo tablet experience. My vox never manages to post what I am reading to face book, the pulse experience is flat because it seems that people do not know how to use it. I have already decided to replace my vox with my playbook and use the kobo application. I also have my touch which I still enjoy reading. So sorry kobo I have had enough of your tablet reading experience which feels like a gimmick to me when you get down to it. One other thing will you be able to load DRM epubs on to the arc that have not been bought from the kobo store. I have always thought that not being able to import non kobo DRM books on to the vox flew in the face of the kobo reading mission.
Agree with all of this. I was really eager to have the 'social e-reading exprience' on the Vox but it never really panned out. No one uses it. Instead, I discovered Goodreads, and it has COMPLETELY satisfied my social e-reading experience - to the degree that any other app would never be able to do.

I was thinking the Fire would be a cool purchase, since I have a lot of Amazone Kindle books, but now I am thinking a Samsung tablet would make the most sense, since I am loving my Samsung phone.

Whatever happens, I am in no hurry. I like the looks of the Kobo Glo for a new piece of tech to get excited over. I still don't have a Touch, so a Glo would kill two birds with one stone!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:

Not sure why you think that you can't import non-Kobo books to the Vox? I haven't bought a book from Kobo in months but can read library books, books bought on Booksonboard, Diesel and Amazon with Aldiko and the Kindle app...
Of course you will be able to read DRM epubs on the Arc!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Not long a go I posted asking if anyone knew of a new tablet and now we know. Not one but three.
One tablet and two ereaders.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:58 AM   #11
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
Cdesja5. You so missed my point.
In fact you confirmed my point. You have to use another reader on the native reader to fufil kobos reading mission. If you read the vox manual it tells you that you can only import non DRM books into your kobo library. Yes you can read using aldiko but the point is to fufil kobos reading mission you have to use another reader. Providing a non DRM copy of the book you purchased from kobo to read on another reader but not allow a DRM book bought from booksonboard to be imported and read using the kobo vox software is a bit one sided and weak.
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Cdesja5. You so missed my point.
In fact you confirmed my point. You have to use another reader on the native reader to fufil kobos reading mission. If you read the vox manual it tells you that you can only import non DRM books into your kobo library. Yes you can read using aldiko but the point is to fufil kobos reading mission you have to use another reader. Providing a non DRM copy of the book you purchased from kobo to read on another reader but not allow a DRM book bought from booksonboard to be imported and read using the kobo vox software is a bit one sided and weak.
I am fully aware that the Kobo reader software and app has it's limitations...and I agree to some degree, but it seemed to me that you were talking about the Vox itself (or so it seemed) not the reader software...just wanted to make sure that no one reading came away with the wrong impression.
For someone very interested in the social reading aspect the fact that side-loaded books don't post statistics in the Kobo ecosystem etc. might be a negative but this is the case on any tablet with the Kobo app as well, not just the Vox. Are you able to read ALL your DRM'd books on the Kobo app on your Playbook? I've not tried on my Galaxy Tab because I do all my reading with 1 app and that is Aldiko and that is so that I can sync all my books across my Vox and my phone as well.
On tablets there are many alternatives to using the Kobo app for reading and syncing, such as Mantano and Aldiko with Aldiko Sync and especially, using Calibre for library management. Just saying...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 09-07-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
I don't suppose anyone has any details on the new Tapestry?

Is Kobo repeating the mistakes of the Vox by creating their own Android OS or are they going the more sensible route of writing their own launcher ?
suedenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedenim View Post
I don't suppose anyone has any details on the new Tapestry?

Is Kobo repeating the mistakes of the Vox by creating their own Android OS or are they going the more sensible route of writing their own launcher ?
Hopefully they are not putting their own launcher on it

Looking at the pictures it looks like standard android for tablets, with an annoying widget on it (worse than the Vox widget)
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I would expect that they will do their own launcher--with a custom interface much like TouchWiz is a custom interface on Samsung phones. Apparently one difference between the Arc and the Vox is that the installed apps like Rdio can be uninstalled on the Arc.

The big question is whether the bootloader will be locked (like B&N and Amazon) or not.The Arc will have access to Google Play, and the Amazon and B&N devices do not.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote