Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
free Dropbox space for using Camera Upload

This isn't a free book, but I know a fair number of people on this forum use Dropbox to help manage some of their e-book files, so I thought I'd post this here...

Yesterday, I put an SD card, which had some pictures on it, in my computer. I was surprised when a little window popped up from Dropbox, saying I could get free space for using the Camera Upload feature to upload my pictures to my Dropbox. I was so surprised, in fact, that I hit "close" as I do for almost all pop-ups . As it was closing, I realized I might actually WANT to read that one . So, I ejected my SD card, and put it back in again, and the same pop-up window appeared. I went ahead and let it do the automatic upload (even though I hadn't been planning to do this), and sure enough, 500MB of additional space appeared in my Dropbox.

So then I went hunting for info, and found out that this is a Dropbox promotion for their new Camera Upload feature, which can give you up to 3 GB of additional space, in 500 MB chunks, if you use "autoplay" on your PC and the Dropbox Camera Uploader to upload at least 2.5 GB of pictures. You can also do it from your camera, or other device. It appears the added space is permanent, so presumably you can delete the pictures from your Dropbox after you get the space, and upload books instead

Details, including instructions, are here, in a FAQ from Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/287

It does appear (although I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out for sure) that the Camera Upload folder is public, just like the Photos folder, so you may want to be careful what you upload...

Also, not sure how long this will last...

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 06-12-2012 at 05:54 PM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
They did something like this before, too. It was for some beta testing some direct uploads.

Wound up just setting my phone to record video and had it pointed at the cat while he slept. After about 20 minutes, I then uploaded it. A couple videos later, I had the permanent dropbox space and was able to delete the 4 or 5 videos it took. Holy crap my phone was on fire, though.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Apparently that was for beta-testing this "Camera Upload" feature, and you could get up to 5GB extra space then. (It says so at the bottom of the FAQ.)

You can't get both though, again per the FAQ, so if you got the 5GB already, this promotion won't do you any good...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Thank you! Busy uploading old photos now.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Draculaa
Draculaa began at the beginning.

Device: none
Make sure to password protect your files in a zip file. The staff of Dropbox has full access to see your files & create your psychological profile to sell to advertisers.
Draculaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Paperwhite
It worked for me. Thank you. FYI:

Quote:
  • Every 500 MB you upload via the Camera Upload feature bumps you up another 500 MB
  • You can bump your Dropbox storage up six times for a total of 3 GB of free space. In other words, to reach your limit you have to upload 2.5 GB through the Camera Upload feature
When I wake up mañana, I will have 3 extra GB.
bakura82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draculaa View Post
Make sure to password protect your files in a zip file. The staff of Dropbox has full access to see your files & create your psychological profile to sell to advertisers.
Btw... I am installing SpiderOak now. It's not as simple to use as Dropbox, but it's actually 100% secure. Not even SpiderOak can decrypt my info. So... if I forget my password... all my data is lost. You get 2GB and it's $10 per 100GB for each month or $100 for 100 GB per year.

This seems like the solution I was looking for in terms of real backups and sharing things like my Quicken data between PCs.

I still use DropBox for other things of course. It's my best tool for sharing between my Android devices.

Last edited by bakura82; 06-13-2012 at 01:38 AM.
bakura82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
thanks, i'll have to try this out :O
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
pdops
Zealot
pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
...Yesterday, I put an SD card, which had some pictures on it, in my computer. I was surprised when a little window popped up from Dropbox, saying I could get free space for using the Camera Upload feature to upload my pictures to my Dropbox. I was so surprised, in fact, that I hit "close" as I do for almost all pop-ups .
Thanks for posting this. I did the same thing at first but now I've uploaded a few movies from a thumb drive to get the free space
pdops is offline   Reply With Quote