Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #1
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Penric's Mission by Lois McMaster Bujold

This is the third novella about Penrick in her Chalion fantasy universe. This is a self-published novella by Lois McMaster Bujold. It's $3.99 at Amazon, but should be in other stores as well. I recommend about anything by Lois McMaster Bujold.

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blo...sion-goes-live

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRF794N

Greg Weeks
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you very much!
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Bought. Even at £3.27 in the UK store!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:40 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Has anyone found her 'Penric' stories in ePub format anywhere? I've got all the other books she has written, and would really like to be able to read this series on my Sony.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:46 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Has anyone found her 'Penric' stories in ePub format anywhere? I've got all the other books she has written, and would really like to be able to read this series on my Sony.
I believe that she publishes those herself, and hasn't put them anywhere except Amazon.

Buy, download, strip, convert. They're worth it.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
AFAIK she's only published them at Amazon, B&N and iTunes.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:29 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Barnes and Noble, Nook Study and calibre for DRM. I know for sure
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:06 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks for all the responses. So far as I know Barnes and Noble doesn't sell to Australians.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:04 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
What's all the hub-bub, Bub?

I've known about her for years and years, but I've yet to read anything by her.

So which one should be my first purchase?

(I will ONLY buy from Amazon, please. Anything less is simply....laughable.) To wit:
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:19 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
So which one should be my first purchase?

(I will ONLY buy from Amazon, please. Anything less is simply....laughable.) To wit:
Do you want the start of her long Mil-SF series? Then Shards of Honor

Do you want a SF story with technical and moral challenges? Falling Free

Do you want a non-series fantasy set in a magical Renaissance Europe? Then get The Spirit Ring

Do you want a fantasy set in its own universe with its own gods? The Curse of Chalion

Or perhaps you'd rather a four-book fantasy/romance series that works well as both. The Sharing Knife

Or if you want a short fantasy taster, Penric's Demon

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-24-2016 at 05:24 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:29 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Do you want the start of her long Mil-SF series? Then Shards of Honor

Do you want a SF story with technical and moral challenges? Falling Free

Do you want a non-series fantasy set in a magical Renaissance Europe? Then get The Spirit Ring

Do you want a fantasy set in its own universe with its own gods? The Curse of Chalion

Or perhaps you'd rather a four-book fantasy/romance series that works well as both. The Sharing Knife

Or if you want a short fantasy taster, Penric's Demon

Thanks for the great answer.

I'll try the short fantasy first, but I'm also willing to try one of her fantasy novels. You suggest "The Sharing Knife" as a pretty good choice?
Old 11-24-2016, 06:50 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I'll try the short fantasy first, but I'm also willing to try one of her fantasy novels. You suggest "The Sharing Knife" as a pretty good choice?
Yes, unless you HATE romance novels. Note that it's four books - and split that way for publishing reasons, not story reasons. The first two are one arc, and the second two another arc, and they finish an overall arc as well.

If you'd prefer a stand-alone, single-book fantasy, I enjoyed The Spirit Ring, but it is one of her earlier novels.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:56 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, unless you HATE romance novels. Note that it's four books - and split that way for publishing reasons, not story reasons. The first two are one arc, and the second two another arc, and they finish an overall arc as well.

If you'd prefer a stand-alone, single-book fantasy, I enjoyed The Spirit Ring, but it is one of her earlier novels.

Ok, I'll go ahead and try "The Spirit Ring," along with that Penric novella.

Thanks, Paul.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Authors note suggests it belongs with Chalion. Location 4.5 in the 5 Gods series.

BTW it (Penric) is a good read
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Ok, I'll go ahead and try "The Spirit Ring," along with that Penric novella.

Thanks, Paul.
Spirit ring is a standalone and not one of my LMB favs.
I started reading the Miles book decades ago in the pages of Analog. While there is nothing wrong with the series, I tend to like fresher meat on my table(t)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote