Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-03-2020, 05:42 AM   #1
Pippo53s03
Pippo53s03 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2ed
Question Too long Paragraphs

Can you suggest a regular expression for truncating paragraphs longer than 1000 characters? it doesn't matter if blank spaces are included in calculation or not.
thanks!
Pippo53s03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If the text is wrapped in paragraph tags, the following quick & dirty regex should work:

Search for:
Code:
<p>(.{999}).*?</p>

Replace with:

Code:
<p>\1…</p>
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippo53s03 View Post
Can you suggest a regular expression for truncating paragraphs longer than 1000 characters? it doesn't matter if blank spaces are included in calculation or not.
thanks!
Hmmm, I'm not sure but maybe this can help you:

Find: (.{999})([^ ]+)(\s)(.)
Replace: \1\2</p>\n\n<p>\4

The above will find any string of 1000 chars and a few chars more until to find an space (because I suppose you won't want to split the paragraph in the middle of a word). But first you must select the text where you want to do the S&R (otherwise the regex will work also in the header of the .xhtml file) or don't select the "wrap" option, set the pointer after the body tag and do the S&R in the current file.

EDIT: If you want to find any string of 1000 chars plus a few more chars until to find a ". " (that would mean the end of a sentence) then use the following:

Find: (.{999})([^ ]+)(\.\s)(.)
Replace: \1\2.</p>\n\n<p>\4

Last edited by RbnJrg; 02-03-2020 at 09:34 AM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #4
Pippo53s03
Pippo53s03 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2ed
Quote:
Find: (.{999})([^ ]+)(\.\s)(.)
Replace: \1\2.</p>\n\n<p>\4
Last Regular expression is MAGIC!
Thank you very much.
Pippo53s03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why do you want to break up long paragraphs? That spoils the book. Makes it look like a bad PDF conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippo53s03 View Post
Last Regular expression is MAGIC!
Thank you very much.
You are welcome
Old 02-03-2020, 10:57 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why do you want to break up long paragraphs? That spoils the book. Makes it look like a bad PDF conversion.
Not relevant, Jon. Please answer questions or stay out of the conversation.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #8
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why do you want to break up long paragraphs?
I used something similar to find very long quotations within paragraphs.

The author didn't use many blockquotes, so I looked for an opening quote + X many characters (400-800+) until a closing quote:

Search: “([^”<]{800,})”
Replace: </p> <blockquote><p>\1</p></blockquote> <p>

Then I was able to easily replace:

Code:
<p>Paragraph with “a super duper [...] long quotation” in the middle.</p>
with:

Code:
<p>Paragraph with</p>
<blockquote><p>a super duper [...] long quotation</p></blockquote>
<p>in the middle.</p>
(Certain Style Guides like the CMOS require quotations of X or more words/lines reformatted as blockquotes.)
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Soon after I began publishing through Amazon's DTP/KDP in November 2007, I realized that paragraphs in an ebook had to be much shorter than those in a print edition. So I began to use my right-hand pinkie much more industriously, ensuring that the paragraphs occurred at least once on every digital "page". Pippo won't have to use regex on me!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:23 PM   #10
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
@RbnJrg

Very nice regex. A keeper. I tested it in Calibre with 300 chars instead of 999 and the result looked much nicer than I had expected. I expected all the paragraphs to appear too similar in length, which is not cool. However, (esp. with "Dot All") the number of screen lines per paragraph varied in a nice way—I am not sure why.

I encounter lots of books (history and the sciences) by learned people who do not believe in paragraphs, among their many e-book formatting crimes. Your regex will be added to my clean-up stack where breaking up a mass of text has benefits even tho some para breaks may not be precisely correct in terms of conventions.

Last edited by Brett Merkey; 02-03-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:17 AM   #11
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Merkey View Post
@RbnJrg

Very nice regex. A keeper.
Thank you, glad that the code was able to help you too.

Quote:
I tested it in Calibre with 300 chars instead of 999 and the result looked much nicer than I had expected. I expected all the paragraphs to appear too similar in length, which is not cool. However, (esp. with "Dot All") the number of screen lines per paragraph varied in a nice way—I am not sure why.
Take in count that the regex will split the paragraphs not exactly in 300 chars (your case) but with a "few" chars more (until to find the end of the sentence). So, in some cases, those "few" more chars could be 30-50 more letters.

And also affect the output the place where the previous split was done. Suppose the case when after splitting, the ammount of letters before reaching the next </p> is 150. Then the next paragraph would splitted at with 150 chars (more or less) instead of 300. For that reason the paragraphs don't have all the same lenght.