Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-29-2019, 11:10 AM   #16
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Apparently, if you live in Europe, CARE DRM is becoming common in library lending — so it's good to have a reader that does both.
Exactly
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Apparently, if you live in Europe, CARE DRM is becoming common in library lending — so it's good to have a reader that does both.
What library service is using this stupid DRM? I only use library services that use Adobe's Adept DRM such as Overdrive, Freading, and RBDigital.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #18
foxQ
foxQ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Hi guys, I'm browsing Black Friday deals.

To those among you that own both the Kobo Libra and the Pocketbook Inkpad 3, what are your feelings about the two?

There's a good offer on the Inkpad 3, pricing it only €13 / $15 over the Kobo Libra.
foxQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #19
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What library service is using this stupid DRM? I only use library services that use Adobe's Adept DRM such as Overdrive, Freading, and RBDigital.
German Onleihe - Adobe DRM is hacked.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
You don't live in Europe. So, at this time, CARE DRM is not an issue for you (or me). But if my library did use CARE DRM it would be nice to have a reader that could use it directly. The Tolinos ability to directly use both Adobe DRM and CARE DRM is a plus. As is its ability to directly buy and download books from various bookstores (including Kobo). And, if you have a Tolino Cloud account, you can upload your own PDF and ePub books from any source and sync them across Tolino eReaders and applications. These are nice features that make the Tolino a bit more open and flexible, especially for someone (like me) who doesn't have Adobe DRM on my Linux computer.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2019, 07:03 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You don't live in Europe. So, at this time, CARE DRM is not an issue for you (or me). But if my library did use CARE DRM it would be nice to have a reader that could use it directly. The Tolinos ability to directly use both Adobe DRM and CARE DRM is a plus. As is its ability to directly buy and download books from various bookstores (including Kobo). And, if you have a Tolino Cloud account, you can upload your own PDF and ePub books from any source and sync them across Tolino eReaders and applications. These are nice features that make the Tolino a bit more open and flexible, especially for someone (like me) who doesn't have Adobe DRM on my Linux computer.
Most libraries in the UK use Overdrive or RBDigital.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:35 PM   #22
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
The UK isn't Europe. I realize you are from Mass, but still, that is no excuse for making such an egregious error.

Last edited by Bookstooge; 11-29-2019 at 07:36 PM. Reason: playing nicer...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #23
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
And throwing my hat into the ring...

I read on the 6in Oasis. I do a lot of reading while laying down so need something light I can easily hold in one hand. I've thought about the bigger readers but the extra weight has always put me off.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
The UK isn't Europe. I realize you are from Mass, but still, that is no excuse for making such an egregious error.
The UK is still part of the EU. Whether the UK remains part of the EU is another story.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:59 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
And throwing my hat into the ring...

I read on the 6in Oasis. I do a lot of reading while laying down so need something light I can easily hold in one hand. I've thought about the bigger readers but the extra weight has always put me off.
My Kobo Aura H2O 1st gen weights 12.5oz with the case. That's heavier then the Kobo Libra H20 and the Kobo Forma. I don't find it too heavy to hold with one hand. And given that the new Readers are lighter, I don't see it as a problem.

Try laying down like you normally do and hold something that weighs a1lb or so and see how you get on holding it. If you find you can hold it, then you'll be able to hold any current Kobo.

With the cover your Oasis weighs 8.47oz. The Kobo Libra with a lightweight case is 11.6oz. The Kobo Forma with lightweight case is 11.1oz. So your talking about a 3oz difference. I don't see this as an issue.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-29-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:05 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But most of Europe is not in the U.K. We've got RBDigital at our library, but they use it just for magazines. We also have Hoopla, but for downloading books it requires an Android or iOS app — though I think you can also read them online via a web browser.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-29-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:09 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
But most of Europe is not in the U.K. We've got RBDigital at our library, but they use it just for magazines. We also have Hoopla, but for downloading books it requires an Android or iOS app — though I think you can also read them online via a web browser.
Yes, Hoopla does require the Hoopla app or a web browser. I do use Hoopla, but not to read eBooks. I use it mostly for audiobooks.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:51 PM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
My Kobo Aura H2O 1st gen weights 12.5oz with the case. That's heavier then the Kobo Libra H20 and the Kobo Forma. I don't find it too heavy to hold with one hand. And given that the new Readers are lighter, I don't see it as a problem.

Try laying down like you normally do and hold something that weighs a1lb or so and see how you get on holding it. If you find you can hold it, then you'll be able to hold any current Kobo.

With the cover your Oasis weighs 8.47oz. The Kobo Libra with a lightweight case is 11.6oz. The Kobo Forma with lightweight case is 11.1oz. So your talking about a 3oz difference. I don't see this as an issue.
I know it sounds silly, but a 3 oz. seems huge when holding a reader. I like my Tolino Vision 4 a lot, but the Tolino Shine 3 (Kobo Clara hardware) is getting most of my use now (to the point where I'm thinking of selling the other Tolinos). It's slightly smaller and slightly lighter (9.36 ounces compared to 9.87 ounces, both with Fintie Folio cases), but the difference feels really significant. I also own a Kobo Aura HD in OEM case, it weighs close to your Aura H2O (12.23 ounces). There's quite a bit of difference when holding it. Not that I hate it, it's just seems a lot different. And the Tolino seems positively heavy (and unwieldy) at 15.2 ounces. (Just for reference, my Nook Glowlight Plus (2014) weighs 10.42 in OEM case and my Voyage weighs 10.46 ounces in an Exact case (it would be lighter in a Fintie Folio case, but they only had distracting colors left — "zebra" print and something else).
Old 11-29-2019, 09:10 PM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Jon, you are wrong on this. For plenty of people, the weight is important. And reducing the weight by even few grams will make it easier to hold and hence more comfortable to read. Just ask someone with arthritis in their hands how much a little extra weight affects this. A few times over the years I've responded questions elsewhere about what was the lightest and easiest to hold ereader. And as much as you think it was a terrible device, the original Oasis won this hands down and was a welcome relief for these people.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:34 PM   #30
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
6": I find this the most comfortable size to hold. Very easy one-handed use due to the small size and low weight and it's the only size I can wrap my hand around. The small size also means great portability (you can slip it in your trousers' pocket). However, for reading it just feels a bit too cramped for me.

7": The sweet spot for me in terms of the amount of text on screen. I never have to change the font size which is great.

7.8": At my preferred font size I found there was too much text on screen. The sea of text was distracting and made me read slower. Also, I prefer to read without glasses/contact lenses and so I keep the ereader fairly close to my face. This exacerbates the effect of a big screen.
Similar experience as far as screen sizes go. My issue was with actual devices and weight.

The 6.8" Aura HD was just a wee bit too heavy for me to hold single handed for long periods and the wedges on the back weren't particularly comfortable. Giving 7" another try with the Libra H2O. It's around 50 grams lighter than Aura HD, it's actually lighter than the Paperwhite 3. That plus weight distribution and large side bezel would hopefully make it more comfortable to use for marathon reading sessions.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote