Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #91
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
great idea. you should add that link to the 1st post as well.
Done. Good idea btw.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #92
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Good project, need some improvment for sure, but good project, it's exactly what was missing for me ^^
Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #93
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Currently this is the way Sigil works. Adding the ability to separately view and edit each XHTML file would require massive re-engineering of the importers, exporters and the entire GUI which is currently geared towards single-flow editing. I'm not ready to do that yet. Not any time soon. Maybe in Sigil 2.0.
I realize it's a design decision. But couldn't it just be a "view" option? Just display the block between two red lines (and have a button or something to display next/previous blocks). That wouldn't need a change in the way the book is stored internally, I guess, and would make long books more manageable, especially the scrollbars.

Quote:
Since separate CSS files are loaded as separate style tags, and separate style tags get exported as separate CSS files, I don't see why you can't decide which styles go into which file right now.
I see, and Zelda's example helped I had misunderstood at first.

Quote:
Would be lovely, wouldn't it? Especially embedding epub-check. But they are all written in Java. Sigil is in C++. I have no intention of requiring the Java runtime for Sigil. And no, GCJ is not an option.
Maybe just include the possibility of using the validators as external programs or web services: you click on "validate" and it sends the file to the web, or runs the appropriate command line.

Quote:
I was thinking of users being able to add their own date elements. That is, I go to an options screen, click on something like "Add new date event", and then type in "Reprint" or whatever. A list of these custom date elements would be in a list near that button. I would then go to the Meta Editor and the new date type would be selectable in the "Add Basic" dialog. Of course, in the background this would merely change the event attribute on the date element created.

You have to think of options in the form of "How am I going to present this to the user in a simple and usable way?". This is absolutely crucial, which unfortunately many OSS developers don't understand.
Of course, I agree. What would you think of the user selecting just "date" in the "Add Basic" (or advanced) dialog and then getting a new dialog for selecting which kind of date (event)? Some events would be predefined, but it would be possible to add custom ones on the fly. Just an idea for the future

Quote:
You sound like you want to edit all of the XHTML, CSS, XPGT files etc. as separate files in an editor that would in the end just wrap everything up into an epub. That's great. But that's not what Sigil is. Not right now anyway. If something like this is added, it would be accessible by explicitly switching to the "advanced" GUI. I have no immediate plans for making this happen, although I would like to add it somewhere down the line. But not any time soon. There are more important issues to attend to, and they impact the other 95%, if not everyone.
Yes, as I said I was trying to see how I could fit Sigil in my workflow, and I'm the kind of user who likes to control evrery single comma I'm aware that my needs are probably not the same as those of 95% of the users. Please forgive my nitpicking

Quote:
This is also a GUI issue first, and an implementation issue second. The QDate object used to store dates demands months and days specified. Using this native Qt object provides us with an effortless way to edit them in a GUI: just shove the QDate into a TableView (like in Meta Editor) and the user is limited to entering only valid days, years and months. Each field in the date can be edited separately, and the object restrains the user to only valid values. Adding support for inserting only some parts of a date would mean ditching the native QDate objects and forcing users to type everything in as a text string.
It's not the first time I encounter this shortcoming (in my view) of "date" data types. If I remember correctly MySQL allows entering 00 for day or month when it is not known or important, but the GUIs I tried did not recognize it... As a workaround (if wanted) I can think of adding some auxiliary variable that would tell the program to use only the year or the year and month (in the GUI, it could be a checkbox or dropdown to select "full date", "only year and month" or "only year".

Last edited by mtravellerh; 08-04-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #94
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
CSS entries

This has not been reported here, so maybe I have done something wrong.

There are class entries in the code for sgc-1 thru sgc-14.
The style sheet in the version I have has entries for sgc-1 thru sgc-8.
Any ideas.
?

Other than the above, SIGIL seems well behaved. I haven't tried to build a TOC yet but I like what I see.

Charlie
Old 08-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #95
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I realize it's a design decision. But couldn't it just be a "view" option? Just display the block between two red lines (and have a button or something to display next/previous blocks). That wouldn't need a change in the way the book is stored internally, I guess, and would make long books more manageable, especially the scrollbars.
I have no plans to address this right now. It would just be way too much work to implement. I do intent to get around to it eventually.

Quote:
Maybe just include the possibility of using the validators as external programs or web services: you click on "validate" and it sends the file to the web, or runs the appropriate command line.
The web services idea I like, and I've thought about invoking the validators from the command line. But that would mean including them in the distros, and that would mean depending on the Java runtime being installed. That's unacceptable.

The web services idea sounds interesting. I would have to find a reliable epub-check service and would have to get permission from the site owner... I have no intention of sending them massive amounts of data without permission first.

And then the feature would depend on their availability. And it would offer only the features they offer...

I'll have to think about this a bit more. For now, you can use epub-check directly.

Quote:
As a workaround (if wanted) I can think of adding some auxiliary variable that would tell the program to use only the year or the year and month (in the GUI, it could be a checkbox or dropdown to select "full date", "only year and month" or "only year".
I have ideas on how to fix it, it's just a substantial amount of work for something very minor. There are more pressing concerns first.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #96
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
There are class entries in the code for sgc-1 thru sgc-14.
The style sheet in the version I have has entries for sgc-1 thru sgc-8.
Any ideas.
?
Sigil extracts inline style attributes and converts them to classes. These classes are named "sgc-#", where "#" is a number from 1 to 2,147,483,647. It will actually extract more than just inline styles.

Last edited by Valloric; 08-03-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #97
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Sigil extracts inline style attributes and converts them to classes. These classes are named "sgc-#", where "#" is a number from 1 to 2,147,483,647. It will actually extract more than just inline styles.
If what you say is true, then the CSS should have an entry for sgc-14 because that is in the code. I'm trying to format the book title as H1 which shows in the code but not in the text.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #98
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
If what you say is true, then the CSS should have an entry for sgc-14 because that is in the code. I'm trying to format the book title as H1 which shows in the code but not in the text.
Oh. I get what you're saying. Try to make a test case that can invoke this bug, then create an issue with the test case. This would be a major bug and would get looked at ASAP, but I can't do it if I can't replicate the behaviour.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #99
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Valloric
I know I am not original, but I want to thank you for what you are doing. I use a great deal of free software, at home and at work, and I admire those who give others the gift of their time and expertise creating wonderful things for everyone to use. I hope I am able to contribute with something useful some time in the future.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #100
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Valloric
I know I am not original, but I want to thank you for what you are doing. I use a great deal of free software, at home and at work, and I admire those who give others the gift of their time and expertise creating wonderful things for everyone to use. I hope I am able to contribute with something useful some time in the future.
Thank you for the kind words.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #101
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Perhaps a "Preferences" menu option?

One where a user could specify the targeted folder/directory for the files. I like to keep all my current novels-in-progress in the C:\MyNovels folder. It gets to be a drag always having to re-direct to that folder whenever I want to add a file...
Old 08-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #102
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
One where a user could specify the targeted folder/directory for the files. I like to keep all my current novels-in-progress in the C:\MyNovels folder. It gets to be a drag always having to re-direct to that folder whenever I want to add a file...
An "options" screen is on my TODO list. But what do you mean by "targeted folder/directory for the files"? The folder where files are supposed to be saved? Sigil currently remembers your last Save and Open folders and uses them when you save or open a file.

I also don't understand this: "It gets to be a drag always having to re-direct to that folder whenever I want to add a file". What do you mean by "add a file"? Please be more specific. Do you mean add an image to the book your editing? This folder is currently not saved, but will be.

Please provide more details. In general people, try to be as specific as possible. I cannot read your minds, and if I have to guess we will all get nowhere rather quickly.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #103
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
An "options" screen is on my TODO list. But what do you mean by "targeted folder/directory for the files"? The folder where files are supposed to be saved? Sigil currently remembers your last Save and Open folders and uses them when you save or open a file.

I also don't understand this: "It gets to be a drag always having to re-direct to that folder whenever I want to add a file". What do you mean by "add a file"? Please be more specific. Do you mean add an image to the book your editing? This folder is currently not saved, but will be.

Please provide more details. In general people, try to be as specific as possible. I cannot read your minds, and if I have to guess we will all get nowhere rather quickly.
Okay, I've got a directory on my main writing PC - C:\MyNovels. In that directory, I've got sub-folders for each novel. (Example: C:\MyNovels\Homebrew, C:\MyNovels\WithHesitantStride, etc.) Each of those folders has the same grouping internally. The individual chapter files are C:\MyNovels\Homebrew\Chapter1.xxx, etc. and the pictures, including cover art are stored as - again, using Homebrew as an example - C:\MyNovels\Homebrew\Images\CvrImg.jpg, etc.

So I like to be able to set my 'working' directory to a given folder - let's say "With Hesitant Stride" which means I want to be able to specify the working directory C:\MyNovels\WithHesitantStride and know that Sigil will DEFAULT to that directory RATHER THAN C:\Program Files\Sigil upon firing up Sigil. I should not have to choose a working ePub in order to 'remember' the folder.

I've noticed that if I add an image, it currently defaults to C:\Program Files\Sigil (where *I* placed Sigil when installing it.).

IOW, it should assume that any and all files it will be searching for will be in the 'working directory' if I go searching to add a new file.

Derek
Old 08-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #104
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Looks great. I have used CeltX previous for writing my books in, then converted by hand, which is not fun. I was also wanting a good epub editor, when correcting mistakes.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #105
Valloric

Quote:
So I like to be able to set my 'working' directory to a given folder - let's say "With Hesitant Stride" which means I want to be able to specify the working directory C:\MyNovels\WithHesitantStride and know that Sigil will DEFAULT to that directory RATHER THAN C:\Program Files\Sigil upon firing up Sigil. I should not have to choose a working ePub in order to 'remember' the folder.
Every time you open or save a file in Sigil (not including images!), that folder is remembered. When you go to open or save a new file, the last stored folder location is used as the "default", that is, that folder will be displayed when you open the save/open dialog. If Sigil exits correctly (that is, doesn't crash), then the locations of these folders will be stored on disk (exactly where depends on the platform) and used the next time Sigil starts up, too.

Quote:
I've noticed that if I add an image, it currently defaults to C:\Program Files\Sigil (where *I* placed Sigil when installing it.).
Images are the only exception. The last folder from which you loaded an image is not currently stored. It will be in the next release.

You end up having not just one working directory, but three: one for loading files, one for saving files and one for importing images from. Of course, you can make all three the same.

I believe this implements your desired functionality and more.
Closed Thread