Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2020, 01:54 AM   #751
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel026 View Post
Is there a good Spanish custom dictionary? The original one that comes with the Kobo is not very good.
Hi.
Are you searching a spanish-spanish dictionary or else?
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:27 PM   #752
ariel026
ariel026 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
Hi.
Are you searching a spanish-spanish dictionary
Yes. I'd appreciate it if you could help me find a good one, thanks!
ariel026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:10 PM   #753
prgdm
prgdm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Middle English Dictionary - Help?

Hello,

I have been trying to convert A Concise Dictionary of Middle English from A.D. 1150 to 1580 by Mayhew and Skeat to the Kobo dictionary format. I have converted the HTML available at https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10625 into what should be Penelope-compliant XML, as attached. But when I run the Penelope command line, I am left with an output zip containing only a 4kB file named 'words', without any of the entry files.

I have put a version of the xml file, named mideng.xml, into the penelope folder, and I am running the following command-line command (on Windows):

python -m penelope -i mideng.xml -j xml -f en -t en -p kobo -o dicthtml

Could anyone help?

Thank you very much in advance,
Peter Day-Milne
Attached Files
File Type: zip Middle English Dictionary Complete Transformed.zip (450.5 KB, 201 views)
prgdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #754
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Quote:
Originally Posted by prgdm View Post
Hello,

I have been trying to convert A Concise Dictionary of Middle English from A.D. 1150 to 1580 by Mayhew and Skeat to the Kobo dictionary format. I have converted the HTML available at https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10625 into what should be Penelope-compliant XML, as attached. But when I run the Penelope command line, I am left with an output zip containing only a 4kB file named 'words', without any of the entry files.

I have put a version of the xml file, named mideng.xml, into the penelope folder, and I am running the following command-line command (on Windows):

python -m penelope -i mideng.xml -j xml -f en -t en -p kobo -o dicthtml

Could anyone help?

Thank you very much in advance,
Peter Day-Milne
Check thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml.zip (529.3 KB, 169 views)
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:14 PM   #755
prgdm

Middle English Dictionary -- Success

Ah, I've solved the problem now -- Penelope doesn't like any xml content except its own defined elements.

So then: I have now converted A Concise Dictionary of Middle English from A.D. 1150 to 1580 by Mayhew and Skeat to the Kobo dictionary format. I used the HTML available at https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10625 , converted it to Penelope-compliant XML using the Javascript DOM, and then produced the dictionary using Penelope.

I hope that this will be of interest to people.

I have also produced an HTML version of the Canterbury Tales without the interleaved translations (which I find annoying). This is highly suitable for conversion into e-reader formats.

With best wishes,
Peter Day-Milne
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-enm.zip (543.8 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-20-2020 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:10 PM   #756
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by prgdm View Post
Ah, I've solved the problem now -- Penelope doesn't like any xml content except its own defined elements.

So then: I have now converted A Concise Dictionary of Middle English from A.D. 1150 to 1580 by Mayhew and Skeat to the Kobo dictionary format. I used the HTML available at https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10625 , converted it to Penelope-compliant XML using the Javascript DOM, and then produced the dictionary using Penelope.

I hope that this will be of interest to people.

I have also produced an HTML version of the Canterbury Tales without the interleaved translations (which I find annoying). This is highly suitable for conversion into e-reader formats.

With best wishes,
Peter Day-Milne

Dern, that Middle English is a tough row to hoe. I think I'd rather read the Chaucer for Children's version; https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43984
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:28 PM   #757
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
Quote:
I converted Wordnet 3 Infused English -Turkish. I improved it with:

- more IPA phonetics
- inflections
Thank you very much for this, I downloaded it.
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #758
Flaviocc
Zealot
Flaviocc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW5 / Kobo Aura One
Hi guys,

I have new dictionaries and want to share, but I don't know how to convert them.

If anyone can do that, I really thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip hyph_pt_BR.zip (1.2 KB, 161 views)
File Type: zip pt_BR.zip (1.20 MB, 158 views)
File Type: zip pt_PT-pack.zip (229.3 KB, 199 views)
Flaviocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:58 AM   #759
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaviocc View Post
I have new dictionaries and want to share, but I don't know how to convert them.

If anyone can do that, I really thank you.
This cannot be converted to a Kobo dictionary. The dic and aff files are used for spell checking.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:02 AM   #760
prgdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Dern, that Middle English is a tough row to hoe. I think I'd rather read the Chaucer for Children's version; https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43984
Ah, no, it's not that tough! It hardly compares to reading a different language--one picks up the differences quickly. It's worth a little effort. (Some knowledge of German and, to a lesser extent, the Romance languages also helps with Middle English).

I've also produced a Kobo dictionary that adds a complete Chaucer glossary, including all spelling variants, to the dictionary mentioned above; which I am finding is working perfectly, and making it much easier to read the Chaucer really fluently. But the glossary is copyrighted, so it'll be private-use unless the author gives me sharing permission (for which I'll ask).
Old 05-20-2020, 05:03 AM   #761
prgdm

Quote:
Check thanks
Sorry--I didn't see this before I'd solved the problem myself! Thank you anyway though.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #762
Flaviocc
Zealot
Flaviocc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW5 / Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
This cannot be converted to a Kobo dictionary. The dic and aff files are used for spell checking.
Thank you, didn't know that.

I have a patch here (an user sent to me) and inside the folder I saw a hyphenation DIC file (hyph_en.dic). The .dic to hyphenation works?
Flaviocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:26 AM   #763
hcartstudio
hcartstudio began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara Hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=696
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=698

3 variants of the English-Romanian dictionary
Choose.

And write which one is optimal.

Which link doesn’t work?
Thank you for the reply.
Sorry that i didn't check sooner. I must've missed the links.
I tried installing them, just by putting them in the dict folder on the kobo, but they are not installing?
It keeps saying to sync that a new dict. needs to pe updated/downloaded and inside a book it's just shows Englisht-(blank)
hcartstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:17 AM   #764
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcartstudio View Post
Thank you for the reply.
Sorry that i didn't check sooner. I must've missed the links.
I tried installing them, just by putting them in the dict folder on the kobo, but they are not installing?
It keeps saying to sync that a new dict. needs to pe updated/downloaded and inside a book it's just shows Englisht-(blank)
You need to rename dicthtml-en-ro [1].zip and dicthtml-en-ro [2].zip to dicthtml-d1.zip and dicthtml-d2.zip. Then add in Kobo eReader.conf
Code:
[ApplicationPreferences]
ExtraLocales=ro, d1, d2
You can use dictutil to do it error free and automatically.

Last edited by Semwize; 05-24-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #765
joss
joss began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Post alternative public domain french-french dictionary

Sorry if this has been already posted .
You can find on GitHub, the Wiktionnaire here :

https://github.com/BoboTiG/ebook-rea...eleases/tag/fr

It is updated everyday at midnight and contains 327 251 entries so far
( vs 80 000 for Littré 1876 , 35 000 for Academie Francaise 1935
and 35 000 for the default Robert micro 2013 ).
Despite having more entries, I think all 4 dictionaries should be used, each
of them having a specific advantage or drawback. In the case of the
Wiktionnaire, it does not include conjugations nor ethymology.

Different meanings are included, if any, for different french speaking locations
( eg Belgium, Quebec, etc ) .

I also posted to the french forum but I thought it might be useful
as well for non french speaking natives.
joss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo dictionaries