Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-30-2020, 12:19 PM   #1
meselaben
meselaben began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Question Which e-readers are capable of receiving books by e-mail?

Hello, I have a PW3 and I'm really happy with Send to Kindle feature.

On Calibre I defined my Kindle device's email and can send books to my Kindle directly. Also I use a website to download books and they have this feature implemented, so when I select a book I can click "Send-to-Kindle" button and it directly appears on my Kindle.

So, now I am looking for new e-reader devices for my sister and my mom. And I want them to be able to use that wonderful function to send books to their e-readers

Is there a list of e-reader devices which support "send-by-email"?
meselaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Only Kindles, as far as I know.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Yes, it's an Amazon exclusive.

Also, nitpicking, title needs tweaking if possible.
no e readers can SEND books by email,, they can only receive books which have been sent by other devices, like pc, via Amazon cloud

Kobos can receive (sync to ) pocket and thus receive articles that way, but pocket is not intended for complete books. And the kobo forma can also sync to Dropbox and get epubs out of that
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #4
meselaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Only Kindles, as far as I know.

I think PocketBook also has Send-to-PocketBook feature.

Described here:
https://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/ne...touch-series-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Yes, it's an Amazon exclusive.

Also, nitpicking, title needs tweaking if possible.
no e readers can SEND books by email,, they can only receive books which have been sent by other devices, like pc, via Amazon cloud

Kobos can receive (sync to ) pocket and thus receive articles that way, but pocket is not intended for complete books. And the kobo forma can also sync to Dropbox and get epubs out of that
Yeah that's what I mean. Sorry for lack of definition.
Kobo can't get books email as I see. Thank you.

There is Kindle and PocketBook for now, maybe we can learn some more so I can check them.

Last edited by meselaben; 03-30-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:25 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I modified the title to reflect the content.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hoping I have not introduced confusion to the thread...
Pocket (as supported by kobo) is not the same as pocketbook. I know very little about pocketbook (the app, not the device), but I did get a confirm form typos that is is not the same as pocket (pocket is a way to send and sync web articles to readers for later reading)
Old 03-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #7
meselaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I modified the title to reflect the content.
Thank you for correction.

Quote:
Hoping I have not introduced confusion to the thread...
Pocket (as supported by kobo) is not the same as pocketbook. I know very little about pocketbook (the app, not the device), but I did get a confirm form typos that is is not the same as pocket (pocket is a way to send and sync web articles to readers for later reading)
There isn't a problem I know and use Pocket App (which you mentioned before)
And I was talking about the PocketBook device and it's Send-to-PocketBook feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meselaben View Post
I think PocketBook also has Send-to-PocketBook feature.

Described here:
https://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/ne...touch-series-0
Old 03-31-2020, 07:42 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I prefer a USB connection and then the eReader gets charged.

Also the "email to ereader" idea may mean you don't have a backup. There are also privacy issues and it needs reliable Internet.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:07 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

Also the "email to ereader" idea may mean you don't have a backup. There are also privacy issues and it needs reliable Internet.
yes, but when a thousand-mile , or even a one mile cable is not practical.....
Old 03-31-2020, 09:18 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yes, but when a thousand-mile , or even a one mile cable is not practical.....
Email to phone, tablet, laptop?

I've had real email on my phone since 2000. Not everyone has a laptop/PC, but out of curiosity I connected my Kindle to my ancient Sony Ericsson Android phone years ago via a $2 dumb USB adaptor on the phone and the supplied Amazon USB cable and I was able to download from Gutenberg and copy to the phone. A saved email (pop, imap) or Webmail attachment would work too.

Saves a lot of reading time not having WiFi activated on the eReader.

But I'm not stopping others doing it, it just seems a weak reason to say get a PW4 than a Kobo Libra, which without Amazon spam AKA Special Offers is currently cheaper, slightly brighter white, better annotation to laptop and 7" is a nicer screen size. I did buy my PW3 after the PW4 came out, thinking they'd shortly be unavailable from Amazon. Comparing wife's PW3 and the son's PW4, all agreed the PW4 was greyer. I prefer reading with ambient light only.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:06 AM   #11
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

Internet not necessary if you have one of the Kindle readers that includes cellular communications. This is/was an option on the Kindle Touch, all versions of the PW, the Voyage and the Oasis generations 9 and 10. Overpriced option but handy as works almost everywhere cellular communication is available. IMO I believe this option is a Kindle exclusive.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:25 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Internet not necessary if you have one of the Kindle readers that includes cellular communications. This is/was an option on the Kindle Touch, all versions of the PW, the Voyage and the Oasis generations 9 and 10. Overpriced option but handy as works almost everywhere cellular communication is available. IMO I believe this option is a Kindle exclusive.
except that is uses a now almost-obsolete cell system g3? which may be unavailable or being discontinued soon in your location so check before buying
Old 04-02-2020, 04:51 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Can be done with many phones setting them up as WiFi points. Or download to phone and use USB transfer via a USB2GO micro USB to USB-A adaptor (Almost all Android and Windows phones). Some tablets and laptops also have Mobile modems. Some are mini-PCI cards that can be updated.

The older Kindles no longer work with most HTTPS sites, though do still connect to the Amazon store. I don't know if purchase works, because it's a nasty way to get eBooks, better to select "Download to PC and Tranfer via USB" which does work with many phones and tablets, on Mobile or WiFi, not just laptops.

The publishers actually get charged according to file size for Mobile Whispernet. Compatibily is also a problem internationally and in the USA.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
except that is uses a now almost-obsolete cell system g3? which may be unavailable or being discontinued soon in your location so check before buying
The most recent 3 or so generations of cellular kindle models support 4g.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
send by email, send to kindle