Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-28-2019, 05:13 AM   #31
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
In fact, Kobo also has an unofficial function that allows the display to change to night mode(black surroundings and white text). Just type devmodeon into the kobo store search box then go to settings, device information. There will be a 'developer settings' button at the bottom. Click it and check the inverted text box. It will change to inverted.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:09 PM   #32
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I have a strobe sensitivity, and need to avoid flicker and red light as well as the usual blue light. I find most screens are far too bright at 0% brightness, and apparently many screens use pulse-width modulation so they flicker at low brightness. How does this affect the choices available?
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:27 PM   #33
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I have a strobe sensitivity, and need to avoid flicker and red light as well as the usual blue light. I find most screens are far too bright at 0% brightness, and apparently many screens use pulse-width modulation so they flicker at low brightness. How does this affect the choices available?
As far as I know, Kobo ereaders are completely emitting no light at 0% brightness. The only light you will see from the screen will be reflected from its surroundings.

As for the pulse-width modulation, I only heard about the Forma having it, but I'm not too sure if it flickers at no brightness. You will have to ask someone who has a Forma about this.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:39 PM   #34
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAura View Post
As far as I know, Kobo ereaders are completely emitting no light at 0% brightness. The only light you will see from the screen will be reflected from its surroundings.

As for the pulse-width modulation, I only heard about the Forma having it, but I'm not too sure if it flickers at no brightness. You will have to ask someone who has a Forma about this.
Thank you. And JSWolf mentioned customizable controls, which sounds good too.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:38 AM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The PWM is for the front-light. If it is off, it isn't flickering at all. And, while I would normally say that the frequencies involved with the PWM on a Forma are outside those that would affect people, @MarjaE has mentioned these problems before and I feel like if anyone was going to be affected, she would be. But, my wife suffers from severe and frequent migraine (I tend to assume she either has one, is getting one, or recovering from one), and flickering light does trigger them. She is using her Forma several hours a day, with the light level turned up much higher than I would find comfortable, with no ill effects.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:38 AM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
AFAIK, the only Kobo ereader that uses PWM is the Forma which uses 1KHz PWM. Well above the frequency at which even the most sensitive will notice flicker during a saccade. As for 0% brightness? I checked the 4 Kobo ereaders I currently use and none of them emitted any light visible in a completely dark room after 5 minutes for dark adaptation.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:57 AM   #37
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
For the KA1, 0% brightness does mean no light, but the next step up from that is reasonably bright, in an otherwise dark room.
You have a little more control if you turn the developer options on.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:07 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
For the KA1, 0% brightness does mean no light, but the next step up from that is reasonably bright, in an otherwise dark room.
You have a little more control if you turn the developer options on.
What control do you have with developer options on?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:30 AM   #39
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Set Frontlight LED Manually:
You can set Red, Green, Blue and White from 0 to 255

I don't know if it is only a possibility of Kobo Aura One or also others Kobo reader can do it
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #40
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
The best I have found is the Nook Glowlight 3 in reverse night mode. It's amazing. I have very sensitive eyes. But you have to root it and install koreader to get the nightmode. I don't believe Nook include night mode in the default software.

I have other readers better than the Nook in every other way, but the orange light in night mode is the best reading experience I know. I use it for normal epubs.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post

I don't know if it is only a possibility of Kobo Aura One or also others Kobo reader can do it
That's not an option I have on my H2O.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
The best I have found is the Nook Glowlight 3 in reverse night mode. It's amazing. I have very sensitive eyes. But you have to root it and install koreader to get the nightmode. I don't believe Nook include night mode in the default software.

I have other readers better than the Nook in every other way, but the orange light in night mode is the best reading experience I know. I use it for normal epubs.
You can get night mode on Kobo much easier. Plus Kobo make much better Readers than B&N.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:31 PM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post

It is only possible with the Aura ONE. They have separate LEDs for each colour that are mixed to get the desired affect. The other devices with a coloured light use a single colour and change the intensity.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote