Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
Deltrus
Deltrus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question When is the kindle 6th generation coming out?

I have been holding out on buying the paper white because I do not want to buy it just a few months before the next generation comes out. Are there any patterns or news pertaining to any new Kindle products?
Deltrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Kindle 1 - November 2007
Kindle 2 - February 2009 (October 2009 of Intl' version)
Kindle 3 - July 2010
Kindle Basic - September 2011
Kindle Touch - November 2011
Kindle Paperwhite & revamped Basic - October 2012
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Kindle 1 - November 2007
Kindle 2 - February 2009 (October 2009 of Intl' version)
Kindle 3 - July 2010
Kindle Basic - September 2011
Kindle Touch - November 2011
Kindle Paperwhite & revamped Basic - October 2012
The Paperwhite is arguably a revamped Kindle Touch. At best it is Gen5.5, not the 6th gen device that the OP is asking about.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The Paperwhite is arguably a revamped Kindle Touch. At best it is Gen5.5, not the 6th gen device that the OP is asking about.
The PW is not just a revamped Touch but a new model in it's own right. It has a higher resolution scree and a front light. That makes it a full generation, not a half-generation.

A good example of a half-generation is the iPhone 4 > iPhone 4s.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The OP asked when the 6th gen device was coming. And asked if there were any release patterns. All I posted was a list of when previous devices were released, never gave a generation to any of them.

That said I'd definitely call the Paperwhite a new generation from the Touch. It's got more new that many next gen devices from many manufacturers who's new generations often only include a fast processor or more memory. There's nothing saying a new generation of device means a radically new design or anything.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
They usually announce new Kindle models in the fall.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The PW is not just a revamped Touch but a new model in it's own right. It has a higher resolution scree and a front light. That makes it a full generation, not a half-generation.

A good example of a half-generation is the iPhone 4 > iPhone 4s.
Except both ereaders are running the same OS. They are closer to being different model years (2011, 2012) of the same 5th gen kindle than they are to being different models. They have more in common with each other than they differ.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Except both ereaders are running the same OS. They are closer to being different model years (2011, 2012) of the same 5th gen kindle than they are to being different models. They have more in common with each other than they differ.
Sorry, but you are wrong. The PW is a newer generation from the Touch. It differs enough to be the next gen Kindle. iPhone 4 > iPhone 4s half-gen. iPhone 4s > iPhone 5 next gen. Touch > PW next gen
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltrus View Post
Are there any patterns or news pertaining to any new Kindle products?
As for news, Amazon is fairly secretive. They don't usually announce new models until a month or so before they will be ready for sale.

I like the Kindle Keyboard, which was released on August 27, 2010. Amazon still sells it. Subsequent models have pluses and minuses. The current model (Paperwhite) has poorer 3G internet options, is more difficult to dissassemble for servicing, has half the memory, and lacks audio features. To compensate, the new one has built in glo lighting and a faster processor. I'd say it got worse, but YMMV.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
As for news, Amazon is fairly secretive. They don't usually announce new models until a month or so before they will be ready for sale.

I like the Kindle Keyboard, which was released on August 27, 2010. Amazon still sells it. Subsequent models have pluses and minuses. The current model (Paperwhite) has poorer 3G internet options, is more difficult to dissassemble for servicing, has half the memory, and lacks audio features. To compensate, the new one has built in glo lighting and a faster processor. I'd say it got worse, but YMMV.
It also has higher screen resolution and a longer battery life...for a pure e-reader, I think the changes are a significant improvement. To each their own...
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I'm looking for an Amazon, Kindle, android, smart phone to be introduced this October. It will make all the other kindles obsolete.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I'm looking for an Amazon, Kindle, android, smart phone to be introduced this October. It will make all the other kindles obsolete.
Even if they do release a phone, which has been rumored for years now, it will in no way make other Kindle devices obsolete.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Interesting a Kindle phone, would finally allow me to read on a phone. Ever since my employer upgraded my berry from the old version that I had to my current version I have not been able to use my phone as a reader. I used to like that function so that on days when I had a lot to carry around with me I could leave the kindle at home and use the phone for the same job. However the small screen is somewhat of a dis-incentive to do that.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I had a friend who, in 1984, said he was going to wait to buy a PC until they were as good and as cheap as they were going to get. I know he was still waiting in 1996 but I retired and left the country. I wonder if he's still waiting.

So, keep waiting for a newer, and hopefully improved, model and as cheap as they'll ever get.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Folding, expandable screen?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Interesting a Kindle phone, would finally allow me to read on a phone. Ever since my employer upgraded my berry from the old version that I had to my current version I have not been able to use my phone as a reader. I used to like that function so that on days when I had a lot to carry around with me I could leave the kindle at home and use the phone for the same job. However the small screen is somewhat of a dis-incentive to do that.
I'm looking for the Kindle Phone to have a folding, expandable screen which could be unfolded to the same dimensions as the Kindle Fire HD.

Then I could discard the PW and KFHD7-32 and use Kindle Phone exclusively with all the apps of the Fire HD and the readability of the PW plus a PHONE with Bluetooth for making calls via my car phone.

Amazon, please read this and implement THIS YEAR.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question