Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2018, 04:25 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
emailing Kindle eBooks why?

What is the reason to email Kindle eBooks when most of the time you end up with Mobi format? Why not side load KF8 instead? Some of the new features in newer (PW2 on up) Kindles only work with KF8. Plus, you can hyphenate KF8 using the Hyphenate This! plugin. You cannot hyphenate Mobi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
You can get hyphenated azw3 book delivered while using email or Send to Kindle app.

Hyhenate epub > Convert to "dual mobi" > email> download the book via WiFi

As to why people use "Cloud", it's mainly used by people who:

1) regularly read on two or more Kindle devices/apps
2) make extensive use of notes & highlights (and need centralised place to find all their notes
3) find it convenient to dump/archive bunch of books they plan to read in the future and later be able to download a book onto any of their Kindle devices & apps without the need for a computer.

I personally don't use and never had a need for any of those use cases. I prefer the control USB sideloading offers me.
The only time I use wireless delivery is when I need to send some long blogs post, news articles and similar type of content (and even that only when I don't have access to Calibre, since I'm sooo used to having hyphens, page numbers and modified font sizes by using FONT_RAMP file which doesn't work for books in old mobi format).
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The main reason to email books is that emailed books sync between devices. Sideloaded books do not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is the reason to email Kindle eBooks when most of the time you end up with Mobi format? Why not side load KF8 instead? Some of the new features in newer (PW2 on up) Kindles only work with KF8. Plus, you can hyphenate KF8 using the Hyphenate This! plugin. You cannot hyphenate Mobi.
You’re conflating file transfer (email vs. sideloading) with conversion and formats. They’re independent concepts.

When I buy books (or clean up public domain ones) for my parents, I’ll download them, load into calibre, convert to kf8, smarten the quotes, spell check, clean up the metadata, hyphenate, etc, and then email the finished product to their kindle.

It’s easier to email the book directly to their kindle than to email it (or otherwise transfer the file) to them and teach them to load it into calibre and sideload it.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:58 PM   #5
challe232
Connoisseur
challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I also like to use the Cloud because if I upgrade my device, or want to sublety read on my phone in a situation where a kindle might appear rude, cloud is useful. It saves me re adding so many books by usb.. new kindle just sees everything and I just download what I want
challe232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2018, 06:46 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by challe232 View Post
I also like to use the Cloud because if I upgrade my device, or want to sublety read on my phone in a situation where a kindle might appear rude, cloud is useful. It saves me re adding so many books by usb.. new kindle just sees everything and I just download what I want
I use the Reading List plugin to keep track of what is on my H2O. So if I was to get another Reader, I would be able to easliy put my eBooks on the other Reader no problem and in the format of my choice. I would not have to email any eBooks and I would not end up with Mobi.

It seems a lot of hassle to email each book individually and then have to download them. What I do mostly is just have multiple books on the go. One on my iPhone and one on my H2O.

What I don't get is why so many put up with Mobi when KF8 is a better format?
Old 02-18-2018, 07:25 AM   #7
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
For multiple books at one time, USB and Calibre is great. But the wireless option is my preference for single books. I can convert a book using an online conversion site, and use Send to Kindle directly from my ipads, with no need to use the computer. I just did that last night from the comfort of my bed.

The email option and the Send to Kindle were the features I missed the most with my Kobo Glo.

Amazon purchased books aren't included in this scenario of course since they are already stored in the "cloud" and are easily downloaded as long as I have a WiFi connection.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #8
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I don't have a 'workflow' for this, as such, I tend to do whatever seems appropriate at the time. Because I like to read on my smartphone (Motorola Z2 Play - Great ereader device for this) when I'm out and about. I tend to use the email account if I'm likely to start reading the book within a day or so.

For large numbers of books in one go, Calibre's "send to device works well" for me though I don't use it much after the initial set up. I'm trying to store my ebooks on my OneDrive account, so a drag and drop method works there fairly well.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #9
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I guess this applies more to those that side load everything. I don't as I buy pretty much all books from Amazon. If I do get something elsewhere, or grab a recipe of a site, I always use the send to kindle option, which I guess is like emailing. I must have it in the cloud, no other option will work for me. I do have had issues in the past with ebooks not looking right or not having a cover. For that reason I have basically stopped getting books from any other place than Amazon.

All this plugin talk is like a foreign language to me. I only use calibre to back up my books. No real fiddling of any kind. I never actually use it to get the books to my kindle. They are already in the cloud there so I don't have to. Not sure if I even remember how to do it from the computer and calibre. And knowing my lack of skill there, they'd probably not have a cover than either.
But again, now that I get my books from Amazon pretty much 100% of the time, none of that matters. For the recipes and such, I don't need a cover and don't really care what they look like. They are the single type recipes from sites. Actual cookbooks I would get from amazon again to get the proper formatting.

But like I said, if some don't get their books from amazon, or have to or want to side load everything, emailing one by one might take a bit long. But that doesn't apply to me.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
For multiple books at one time, USB and Calibre is great. But the wireless option is my preference for single books. I can convert a book using an online conversion site, and use Send to Kindle directly from my ipads, with no need to use the computer. I just did that last night from the comfort of my bed.

The email option and the Send to Kindle were the features I missed the most with my Kobo Glo.

Amazon purchased books aren't included in this scenario of course since they are already stored in the "cloud" and are easily downloaded as long as I have a WiFi connection.
For an iPad, you can use something like Dropbox for ePub and then send to and send to say Marvin or iBooks or Bluefire. That works and you don't have to email and you don't have to downgrade the format.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
For an iPad, you can use something like Dropbox for ePub and then send to and send to say Marvin or iBooks or Bluefire. That works and you don't have to email and you don't have to downgrade the format.
And what if you want to sync reading position, annotations, etc, between devices?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #12
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I don't read much on my iPad. Books with lots of pictures and magazines, but not most fiction books.

I even use Send to Kindle from Calibre Companion sometimes, as I keep it synced with Calibre.

But there are plenty of times when I download a book from a source other than Amazon, and want it on my Oasis. Its a process I can do on my iPad Pro in under 4 minutes usually, even with the time it takes to convert the book. I save the book to Dropbox, use the conversion site, then use Send to Kindle directly from the resulting page.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:31 PM   #13
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
How do you convert to KF8 in calibre? That option is not offered in output format when I convert in calibre. What am I missing?
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:46 PM   #14
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:

I've never found Kf8 to be better. Just different. I'm happy with Mobi with 99% of books. Some books, however, are designed with a specific format or they don't come out right.

I suppose it's not so much a matter of preference but how much it bugs you. I'm more bugged by chronic misspelled words than hyphenation.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #15
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:

I've never found Kf8 to be better. Just different. I'm happy with Mobi with 99% of books. Some books, however, are designed with a specific format or they don't come out right.

I suppose it's not so much a matter of preference but how much it bugs you.

I normally sideload my units. I email to my cousin or sister's units because they are 100-800 miles away.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote