Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #31
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
One other unlikely possibility: The Kindle in your photo doesn't look like a first generation device to me. If it is actually a third generation Kindle with up-to-date firmware and you are sending mobi-both format (MOBI + KF8) then the plugboard will not be effective.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:50 PM   #32
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why are you putting your eBooks in directories? Kindles do not support directories. And once you eventually empty those directories, all you'll have left is empty directories. It's best to just put the eBooks in the root directory and forget putting them in other directories.
Kindle do so support directories. So on my K3 I have folders documents/notes and documents/PDF1 and so forth with eBooks placed in them using the USB interface. This keeps them from getting mixed up with the automatically placed eBooks and makes no difference to normal Kindle operation (except restart may work better with fewer eBooks per directory).

My Fires can also use directories but here the contents of documents/PDF1 does not appear in the Docs tab but remains invisible and eBooks can only be opened by clicking in a File Explorer App such as ES.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2017, 06:19 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Um... no. Directory support is where you put your eBook in a directory called something like Science Fiction and in the device interface you see Science Fiction and under that you see all the eBooks. You can even have subdirectories in there as well.

All Kindle supports is collections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:48 AM   #34
davecabezo
Enthusiast
davecabezo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Looking at images on the net, my Kindle certainly looks like a Mk3. which I assume means I need to alter a setting in Calibre but I've looked and can't see where. What is Kf8??

Many thanks for everyone's help to date

Dave
davecabezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #35
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecabezo View Post
What is Kf8??
For simplicity think of KF8 as the ebook format inside a .AZW3 container.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #36
davecabezo
Enthusiast

So if I only put Mobi in the plugboard then according to JSWolf's post it should work but I've already tried that unless the Kindle being Mk3 makes a difference.
As I previously mentioned where can I change the connected Kindle from Mk2 to Mk3.

I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm going round in circles

Dave
Old 12-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #37
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecabezo View Post
So if I only put Mobi in the plugboard then according to JSWolf's post it should work but I've already tried that unless the Kindle being Mk3 makes a difference.
As I previously mentioned where can I change the connected Kindle from Mk2 to Mk3.

I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm going round in circles

Dave
Calibre already sees it as the correct device. The "connected device: kindle2" does not mean that there is a 2nd gen Kindle connected. As far as plugboards are concerned, the only options for Kindles are: Kindle, Kindle2, Kindle_DX, Kindle_Fire. Even my Oasis shows up under the "KINDLE2".

On your device (in calibre) you can right click and configure. You can select which formats you would like to be able to use and the order they should be used. I moved azw3 to the top of the list and specifically always choose to "deliver specific format" and selecting azw3.

Jhowell mentioned that mobi does not always work right depending on what exactly is inside (can be both old and new at the same time).

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 12-29-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #38
davecabezo
Enthusiast

Hi Duckie
I've done as you say azw3 is ticked at the top of the list but next in the list is mobi then prc,azw1,tpz,azw4,kfx,pobi,pdf,txt,azw, all are ticked. Then you go on to say "and specifically always choose to "deliver specific format" and selecting azw3." Where do I "choose" ? In output options do I select azw3 or mobi? All my books are converted to mobi but am I right in thinking that mobi and azw3 are very similar? and finally before I try again to sort the books, in the kindle configuration panel the following items are ticked "read metadata from files on device, use sub directories, send page number info when sending books - Fast, overwrite existing apnx on device. - save template :- {author_sort}/{title} - {authors}

From here do I change anything before I try to sort again with the formular you gave at the beginning of this thread

Dave
Old 12-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #39
DuckieTigger
Wizard

No, you should be good. AZW3 is more capable in features than the old mobi format is. The option to send specific format is when letting calibre transfer a book. Right click on the book in library and then follow: Send to device->send specific format to->main memory. From the next window select azw3. Calibre will probably convert your mobi format to azw3 before sending it.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #40
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
You really should find out what Kindle device you actually have and determine if it can support KF8 (azw3) before going to the trouble of changing to that format. On your kindle under settings check for device info and see what firmware version is installed.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote