Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #31
Arjun1985
Arjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
godz, the more i try to use it without a case, the worse it gets. just now i wanted to go into the settings to see about the special offers and with the bulge on the right and trying to hold it on the left side so i could poke it with my right hand, it literally cannot be held that way. if you're not ambidextrous and can poke with your left hand, you have to flip it so that you can hold the wide part with your left hand and poke with your right.

what a total friggin' pain in the ass that they've rendered this thing nearly useless without a case and then fscked up the cases.

/guy
I personally found the holding problem when i am laying down on bed.. otherwise while sitting up or standing it was fine.. may be we will get used to this in sometime.. I am also searching for some decal or taping to get some grip, but that has to be professional enough to not spoil the look... Let me know if you find one..
Arjun1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #32
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
yeah, i just watched a video showing those and it said you can't insert your own photos. with that in mind i don't see removing them being worth $20 as i've come to tune out the loss of a couple of lines at the bottom of the menu screens and i should only have to hit the power button until new cases come out--i don't mind the wake-up swipes. also, on very rare occasions the ads have shown me a book i wanted to investigate.

thanks! /guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:02 PM   #33
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

well, may all the godz of good taste forgive me, i've put two vertical strips of gaffer tape on the back of my shiny brand new oasis as i just can't hold it otherwise. new cases can't come soon enough.

/guy
Old 11-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #34
Arjun1985
Arjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
well, may all the godz of good taste forgive me, i've put two vertical strips of gaffer tape on the back of my shiny brand new oasis as i just can't hold it otherwise. new cases can't come soon enough.

/guy
Mind share a pic? 3M has the clear ones.. Will try those if it bothers too much..
Old 11-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #35
selianth
Enthusiast
selianth began at the beginning.

Quote:
@selianth: if i removed the special offers, could i use one of my photos for a screensaver? i didn't realize how annoying it is that it's always in your face without the case as they have literally never bothered me for a microsecond in the past--out of sight, out of mind. now that $20 to get rid of them is looking cheap.
As others have replied, you still cannot use custom screensavers. But I never realized how much I hated the swipe-to-unlock requirement until I removed it on my Voyage (the first Kindle I had). Literally changed my whole experience. Sometimes it's just the little things.
selianth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #36
gteague
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun1985 View Post
Mind share a pic? 3M has the clear ones.. Will try those if it bothers too much..
ok, but if you show it to anyone i'm denying i did it! i had green gaffer tape which was wider and then some white which was narrow. i think i could have gotten by with just a very narrow strip which followed the transition where the bulge tapers off as that gives me the best grip. also, i wouldn't pull this stunt with anything but gaffers tape or another type that won't leave a residue when you peel it off.

i will say though that, compared to the bare metal, it makes a world of difference.

btw, i just boxed up my original oasis to sell it back to amazon. it ended up being my favorite kindle i've owned just due to the lightness and compactness although i kept the case on all the time. i won't miss the kludgy two-battery system though--the new oasis charges about 25-33% faster although it'll take awhile before i can compare battery life.

/guy

flickr is having some probs, but here's the link:

https://flic.kr/p/215T2DH

Last edited by gteague; 11-02-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #37
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I have no trouble reading without the cover, sitting, standing or laying down. And I very much like the leather cover, particularly as a stand, now that I have grown accustomed to the unique shape of the Oasis.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:54 PM   #38
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I've had quite a few third party covers for my Paperwhites and my Voyage that have the auto wake/sleep feature.

Shari
Me too, cheap $10-12 and wonderfully soft imitation leather. Accase was one brand.
Better than the stiff leather Amazon Oasis case which came with 4 scratches on the front.
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:45 AM   #39
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:

/guy
I emailed Fintie before release and they thought they would have covers from mid November.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #40
Arjun1985

Cover better than expected.. keeping it..

Hey guys.. somehow I did not find the cover that problematic.. I can hold the flap and let it hang with the kindle suddenly it dint drop .. It gives a very good grip FINALLY to the kindle.. Two issues that I think..

1. Definitely magnet could have been stronger but its not as widespread a problem I thought.
2. The fabric hinge is tough now as its new.. So while opening it moves the back base.. Once it gets softer it will be better..
3. When you fold it back like book .. while closing back fold it back from the end where the charging port is..

Again its more of a wrap-on than a case.. which is easy to remove if you want to read without it..
Old 11-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #41
Ksane
Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Lot'sa Readers :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by selianth View Post
If you remove Special Offers, you shouldn't have to swipe to unlock. It will just wake up when you press the button.
And this is exactly why I pay the extra $20 to get rid of the ads. It's well worth it to be able to open a cover or push the sleep button and be right exactly where I was when I last read.
Ksane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #42
Ksane
Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Lot'sa Readers :-)
Quote:
godz, the more i try to use it without a case, the worse it gets. just now i wanted to go into the settings to see about the special offers and with the bulge on the right and trying to hold it on the left side so i could poke it with my right hand, it literally cannot be held that way. if you're not ambidextrous and can poke with your left hand, you have to flip it so that you can hold the wide part with your left hand and poke with your right.

what a total friggin' pain in the ass that they've rendered this thing nearly useless without a case and then fscked up the cases.

/guy
I'm female with small hands and I have no problem whatsoever holding onto it one-handed to read. I can either slide my thumb over a 1/2" or push the button to turn the page, depending on where my thumb is resting.
I tell ya though-the page turns so dang fast sometimes I dont even know if it turned lol
Ksane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #43
Arjun1985

You can remove the Special Offer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksane View Post
And this is exactly why I pay the extra $20 to get rid of the ads. It's well worth it to be able to open a cover or push the sleep button and be right exactly where I was when I last read.
You dont need to pay $20 extra for that.. Just use it for couple of days and reach out to Amazon chat service (device support->Kindle Ebook->Something Else.. tell them that you are having problems with the Ads.. make some excuse.. like I am not connected to wifi and it takes to store unnecessarily etc.. be polite dont say "can you unsubscribe me" dont act techie or smart .. say "can you help removing it as its not useful to me". I have tried it twice and twice they removed it within a second.. Just removed from the new OA2 today..

Thank them and give a good feedback.. enjoy the screensavers..
Old 11-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #44
Arjun1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksane View Post
I'm female with small hands and I have no problem whatsoever holding onto it one-handed to read. I can either slide my thumb over a 1/2" or push the button to turn the page, depending on where my thumb is resting.
I tell ya though-the page turns so dang fast sometimes I dont even know if it turned lol
my wife feels so too.. I think females have softer hands which grips better.. ours is like metal on metal.. haha
Old 11-03-2017, 08:37 PM   #45
gteague
Zealot

in regards to being able to hold it, more familiarity is merely breeding more contempt. i can't imagine anyone could be comfortable with it unless they are only talking about finding one position which works for them. yes, if i'm completely stationary and can balance the bulge in one hand and turn pages with the other, it works ok and will work better when i get a case for it.

but if you need to use one hand or move and shift your grip or carry it somewhere you lose basically all control over it unless you hold it with a crab-pincher-death-grip. the back is too slick for you to grip the bulge, thus my addition of gaffer tape to it until a new case comes out.

/guy

Tags
amazon, kindle, oasis 2017, release 2017, review