Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Why do Americans say they 'could care less'

when they mean they 'could not care less'?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Because we *could* care less but choose not to at that time.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Because we *could* care less but choose not to at that time.
But doesn't that imply that you care quite a lot? Like Sparrow, I've always found that expression a little peculiar .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But doesn't that imply that you care quite a lot? Like Sparrow, I've always found that expression a little peculiar .
No, it means I'm at about 30-40% on my "care-meter", so I still have room to care less. (You do know I'm just playing with you... right?)
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We have silly expressions too. One of the silliest, IMHO, is "it would be cheap at half the price". Whenever I hear that, my immediate reaction is to think "perhaps it would, but does that mean that it's cheap at its current price?". "Cheap at twice the price" would be more sensible .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
when they mean they 'could not care less'?
I'm thinking this phrase is grammar nazi-ism blowing up in our faces; people don't say 'couldn't care less' because it sets off their grammar school double-negative alarm.

Ultimately, it's just a cliche--they're applied imprecisely in situations that trip an associative link, and they're almost always detached and often reversed from their actual meaning.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I say "couldn't care less" and hear it both ways frequently.

My pet peeve is "can't hardly wait."
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Not all do. Whenever I've used that expression, I say "couldn't care less". You often hear people say "could care less" simply out of ignorance, much as when I hear or see people use the expression "for all intensive purposes". If you try to correct them, "do you mean 'for all intents and purposes'?", the likely reaction is a blank look.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's used either as a shorthand for "couldn't care less"... or simply as sarcasm.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
because we are sloppy with our word usage (like many other things... and look at kris who does not capitalize in an informal forum). there are numerous instances of this type of laziness... irregardless sets my teeth on edge.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Every TV show uses "I" and "me" incorrectly, and Fringe is one of the worst offenders. I sit there correcting their grammar all throughout the show.

That bugs me worse than misusing "who" and "whom."
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Another common word usage I dislike is "A, if not B". For example, what does it mean when someone says "The attorney's behaviour in the hearing was questionable, if not criminal"? Is the speaker trying to suggest that the behaviour fell short of being criminal? Or is he trying to insuate that it might be criminal without actually having to say so? Or is he confused with this word usage and he's really trying to say that it was criminal? I can never tell and, if I care, I have to question the speaker for his intent. I am finding no single intended meaning to be dominant for this construction.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Another common word usage I dislike is "A, if not B". For example, what does it mean when someone says "The attorney's behaviour in the hearing was questionable, if not criminal"? Is the speaker trying to suggest that the behaviour fell short of being criminal? Or is he trying to insinuate that it might be criminal without actually having to say so? Or is he confused with this word usage and he's really trying to say that it was criminal? I can never tell and, if I care, I have to question the speaker for his intent. I am finding no single intended meaning to be dominant for this construction.
At least this one's still a valid structure. I'd say the speaker's trying to insinuate that it might be criminal. Keyword being might. He's not actually sure if it's criminal or not so he's trying to cover his behind by not saying it outright.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Another common word usage I dislike is "A, if not B". For example, what does it mean when someone says "The attorney's behaviour in the hearing was questionable, if not criminal"? Is the speaker trying to suggest that the behaviour fell short of being criminal? Or is he trying to insuate that it might be criminal without actually having to say so? Or is he confused with this word usage and he's really trying to say that it was criminal? I can never tell and, if I care, I have to question the speaker for his intent. I am finding no single intended meaning to be dominant for this construction.
doesn't someone else normally wear the dahlik? I'm confuzzled
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
I thought it was because it was it was meant to be spoken in a heavily sarcastic way i.e. "I could care less if I really, really tried" but people just got sloppy (and it doesn't transfer to writing well)
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote