Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
coyote
Reader
coyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Publish Year?

Does anyone else want Calibre to support a 'year published' field in the metadata? Currently there is a 'date' field, but it includes a month and day, and doesn't seem appropriate for the year that a book was originally published.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
yes, that would be a nice feature. i would like that.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Yep. A year is actually more useful than month and day.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Yep. A year is actually more useful than month and day.
well, i like both actually ; publish year would be nice, but i frequently sort by date to see the most recent books added to the db. i wouldn't want to lose that feature. the publishing year would be nice to have *in addition* but not *instead of* for me.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
I'm using the date with the first publishing date (actually, I use the year and random day/month when it's the only book of the year for that particular author).

;-)

I use those because of Mobipocket. Since in the creator I have to insert a publishing date (not only the year), I use the full date.
When I export mobi files, I use sqlite3 and mobo2mobi from mobiperl to put that date in the file's metatdata (along with the language tag, that calibre doesn't set).
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

hm. i didn't remember this yesterday but now it seems to me that actually we have discussed adding the publish date as a new column to calibre before. i think kovid said it would be complicated to add a new data field, but instead you can add the publish year in the tag field or the comments field, and he also made the date field manually editable so it doesn't have to be the date the book is added to the database.

so, i think we'll just have to be content with the dates as they are.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Kovid has also said that in a future release of Calibre he intends to allow the user to specify their own metadata fields on top of the base set. Then you can have whatever you want.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote