Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book of Fantasy shall we read in December?
Silverlock by John Myers Myers 3 16.67%
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan 7 38.89%
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood 8 44.44%
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness 2 11.11%
Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho 5 27.78%
Carousel Tides by Sharon Lee 4 22.22%
Those Who Hunt the Night by Barbara Hambly 6 33.33%
Dark Hope (The Devil's Assistant Book 1) by H.D. Smith 3 16.67%
The Bees by Laline Paull 2 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I read Handmaid's Tale when it came out, so decades later, I figure it can stand a re-read. I have zero interest in reading YA for a book club discussion. I've said so before. According to the publisher, it's at a fourth grade reading level. Give me a break, honestly. I like kidlit when it comes with a kid. Not for a group of adults.
I've read The Handmaid's Tale and I would rather read something more upbeat.

I've read some good YA books and I'm not bothered to read more. Besides, I think he term You cannot be a YA. You are not a young adult. You are an adult or not.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've read The Handmaid's Tale and I would rather read something more upbeat.

I've read some good YA books and I'm not bothered to read more. Besides, I think he term You cannot be a YA. You are not a young adult. You are an adult or not.
Well, I agree that someone in the fourth grade isn't a young adult; he's a kid. I really do like children's literature; I just don't think it makes for a good discussion. Next up, we'll be talking about whether Junie B. was justified in being scared of the school bus.

I do take your point about Handmaid's Tale.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The Riordan book is just aimed too young for me. So I passed. I am reading The Handmaid's Tale, but suspect from the comments that I may not finish it. So far, it's not going where I want to go, though it is starting to pull me in. I voted, but doubt any of my choices will make the cut, even for a runoff.

Yes, I know Sharon Lee's book is not available at the library. I think that's unfortunate, but the book is only $6.99, and IS eligible for any Kobo coupons you might have. And it's not dark.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #19
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Since several people have already read it, is there a fantasy element* to Handmaid's Tale? All of the blurbs and reviews I have read are clear on dystopian (which is normally science fiction, not fantasy) but I don't see "fantasy" in any of them. Just imagining what the future could be like under an extreme fundamentalist "totalitarian theocracy" doesn't make it a fantasy novel. Unless there is something, it seems like this doesn't really meet the topic for this month.

Even Atwood's comments seem to say they are science fiction (under the speculative fiction umbrella) and not fantasy.
Quote:
I have written two works of science fiction or, if you prefer, speculative fiction: The Handmaid's Tale and Oryx and Crake.
*Magic, supernatural events, elves, fairies, or just the "unexplainable and mysterious".
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes, I know Sharon Lee's book is not available at the library. I think that's unfortunate, but the book is only $6.99, and IS eligible for any Kobo coupons you might have. And it's not dark.
Nominate this book next time it is appropriate and I will give it a nod and if it makes it, a vote.
Advert
Old 12-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Since several people have already read it, is there a fantasy element* to Handmaid's Tale? All of the blurbs and reviews I have read are clear on dystopian (which is normally science fiction, not fantasy) but I don't see "fantasy" in any of them. Just imagining what the future could be like under an extreme fundamentalist "totalitarian theocracy" doesn't make it a fantasy novel. Unless there is something, it seems like this doesn't really meet the topic for this month.

Even Atwood's comments seem to say they are science fiction (under the speculative fiction umbrella) and not fantasy.

*Magic, supernatural events, elves, fairies, or just the "unexplainable and mysterious".
Yes, you are correct. It's not fantasy. It's not something I thought of at the time. I think it should be disqualified.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:37 PM   #22
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
27 minutes to go is anyone going to help us get a Fantasy book for the Fantasy month?

Only time will tell...
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:53 AM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Well, the poll is over and The Handmaid's Tale won, despite not being a fantasy tale in the ordinary sense. I never read the book, but I saw the movie and it's not something I was in the mood to visit as a book, but oh, well.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:03 AM   #24
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
My library's only e-copy is loaned out, but fortunately the Kindle price is only $2.99, and Audible narration c an be added for only $3.99 more.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:02 AM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I always thought I'd re-read this someday; the day has come, apparently.

I wonder if I'll find it as compelling as I did 30 years ago? Dystopias litter the landscape now.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I always thought I'd re-read this someday; the day has come, apparently.

I wonder if I'll find it as compelling as I did 30 years ago? Dystopias litter the landscape now.
It is a good book. But it's not one I want to reread.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is a good book. But it's not one I want to reread.
I almost never want to reread; I missed out on two discussions this year because I didn't feel like rereading, but couldn't remember them well enough to discuss.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I almost never want to reread; I missed out on two discussions this year because I didn't feel like rereading, but couldn't remember them well enough to discuss.
I find that sometimes when you do reread, the book comes back to you. So maybe you won't have to reread completely.

I'm going to try to find this as an audiobook. I already have the eBook. I don't remember it well enough to discuss.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-02-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #29
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
There definitely is an audiobook version. It's even whispersync'd. Read by Claire Danes. I think I'm going to read it as an audiobook as well. Though I have 34 hours of David Weber to finish first.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
There definitely is an audiobook version. It's even whispersync'd. Read by Claire Danes. I think I'm going to read it as an audiobook as well. Though I have 34 hours of David Weber to finish first.
Yes, it is an audiobook but none of the libraries I use have it as an audiobook. Also, Hoopla does not have it. So I'm not sure if I will reread. But I can make one comment now.

It should not be the book for December as it is not fantasy.