Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #46
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Many thanks.

Many books I'd like to read here; in truth, I've already picked up Bridge, Mislaid, and the Dowager (I'd love to see the last make it to the vote.)
You love audio books (and they're a lot easier to read right now), so by all means grab a copy of Rivers of London/Midnight Riot. It's not your usual thing. But it's really witty, and the narration by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith is an 11 out of 10. This is one of those books that simply comes alive in the narration.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #47
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You love audio books (and they're a lot easier to read right now), so by all means grab a copy of Rivers of London/Midnight Riot. It's not your usual thing. But it's really witty, and the narration by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith is an 11 out of 10. This is one of those books that simply comes alive in the narration.
Boston OverDrive has it, as well as the audiobook Mislaid. Both in my account now. Thanks for the tip!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #48
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reminder! I went and put in a recommendation for the eBook version of Mislaid for the BC Library. It's unlikely to show up before I have to read it if it's chosen here, but then I'll just use a credit on the Audible version. (I have this totally irrational belief that credits are "free", but $10.99 is too much for an eBook. Yeah, I SAID it was irrational.)
Old 09-24-2016, 06:18 AM   #49
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I'm not going to nominate it because I've read it already, but I'd strongly recommend Bucky F*cking Dent by David Duchovny. I caught my self laughing out loud.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #50
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I'd like to nominate Bellwether by Connie Willis. This novella is her send-up of the worst parts of corporate culture. One of her funniest.

Spoiler:

Pop culture, chaos theory and matters of the heart collide in this unique novella from the Hugo and Nebula winning author of Doomsday Book. Sandra Foster studies fads and their meanings for the HiTek corporation. Bennet O'Reilly works with monkey group behavior and chaos theory for the same company. When the two are thrust together due to a misdelivered package and a run of seemingly bad luck, they find a joint project in a flock of sheep. But a series of setbacks and disappointments arise before they are able to find answers to their questions.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7779491-bellwether
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I'd like to nominate Bellwether by Connie Willis. This novella is her send-up of the worst parts of corporate culture. One of her funniest.

Spoiler:

Pop culture, chaos theory and matters of the heart collide in this unique novella from the Hugo and Nebula winning author of Doomsday Book. Sandra Foster studies fads and their meanings for the HiTek corporation. Bennet O'Reilly works with monkey group behavior and chaos theory for the same company. When the two are thrust together due to a misdelivered package and a run of seemingly bad luck, they find a joint project in a flock of sheep. But a series of setbacks and disappointments arise before they are able to find answers to their questions.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7779491-bellwether
This is a novel, not a novella. I shall second this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #52
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is a novel, not a novella. I shall second this.
Hmmm. It was nominated for a Best Novel Nebula Award but it won a Best Novella Locus Award. At any rate it's around 250 pages more or less.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #53
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'll third Bellwether. Love Connie Willis.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Hmmm. It was nominated for a Best Novel Nebula Award but it won a Best Novella Locus Award. At any rate it's around 250 pages more or less.
The word count puts it at novel. So Locus was wrong and stole an award from a novella. Stupid people at Locus (I would say). I've seen the page count at 247 on Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:48 PM   #55
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We only need two more votes for The Deadly Dowager! I'm out of nominations, unfortunately.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #56
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
We only need two more votes for The Deadly Dowager! I'm out of nominations, unfortunately.
Me, too, but I think I might read that one regardless of whether it gets fully nominated.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #57
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I am still too busy to look at this in detail so I will go ahead and second the three partially nominated titles right now in hopes of getting the slate a little more filled up.
The Deadly Dowager
Alice, Let's Eat
Based on a True Story
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #58
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
That looks like fun! I'll second it. [Or maybe it's "third" by now.]
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:39 PM   #59
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Thanks, badgoodDeb! Now, if we could get one more nomination for Alice Let's Eat, that would be good.

Alice is part of The Tummy Trilogy, and is written by possibly the funniest food writer/critic in the US. It's witty, it provides insight into American eating habits and locales, and it's easily digestible. (pun intended) Really, folks, this is a classic. And much fun.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #60
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Thanks, badgoodDeb! Now, if we could get one more nomination for Alice Let's Eat, that would be good.

Alice is part of The Tummy Trilogy, and is written by possibly the funniest food writer/critic in the US. It's witty, it provides insight into American eating habits and locales, and it's easily digestible. (pun intended) Really, folks, this is a classic. And much fun.
I think Alice, Let's Eat is my favorite of the three, but once you've read one, you'd want to read the rest.