Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall be the Non-Fiction Choice selection for July?
The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 6 28.57%
Pitching in a Pinch by Christy Mathewson 7 33.33%
Rites of Peace: The Fall of Napoleon and the Congress of Vienna by Adam Zamoyski 5 23.81%
The Beer Wench's Guide to Beer: An Unpretentious Guide to Craft Beer by Ashley V. Routson 3 14.29%
This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women by Dan Gediman and Jay Allison 3 14.29%
What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe 6 28.57%
Waterloo by Bernard Cornwell 8 38.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #16
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
$17.99 for the Kindle edition. That's lovely.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I do agree, it's expensive. Wonder if it's as bad in the UK? Hmmm, checking...

Might be time to do some travelling. It's only £3.80 at AmazonUK.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #18
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Oddly, the same author has two different books both named Waterloo, one an historical fiction that's part of the Sharpe series and one the non-fiction with the extended title that we chose. I don't think it's likely but I'd hate for anyone to accidentally read the wrong one.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #19
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Oddly, the same author has two different books both named Waterloo, one an historical fiction that's part of the Sharpe series and one the non-fiction with the extended title that we chose. I don't think it's likely but I'd hate for anyone to accidentally read the wrong one.
I noticed this when searching for the book selection at my two sources for borrowing ebooks. The the fictional Sharpe series books are available, but not the non-fiction book. Since I am not eager enough to read this at a cost of ~$18, it may be a while before I get to it.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #20
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Thank you. I did have the wrong one on hold. I didn't look at it close enough to realize the difference in title. Unfortunately, this means I won't be reading this month's selection since it is out of my price range.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #21
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The kindle version is "not currently available for purchase" at amazon.ca.

My library has it though. I'm not a big non-fiction reader and even less of a history reader. Not sure I'll get to this one, but I might take a quick gander at the library and see how it reads.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I noticed this when searching for the book selection at my two sources for borrowing ebooks. The the fictional Sharpe series books are available, but not the non-fiction book. Since I am not eager enough to read this at a cost of ~$18, it may be a while before I get to it.
I don't want to read anything to the tune of 18 bucks.

Fortunately, two of my Overdrive libraries had it and I've already got it in my virtual hands.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #23
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I envy you. It's not available yet in Canada as an ebook. The Ottawa library has 8 paper copies, and I'm 40th on the waiting list, so I expect to have it available sometime in 2016.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #24
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Bumping this so more people vote. I'm pulling for the Rites of Peace over Waterloo. Not only am I more a causes-and-effects person than a battle person, Rites of Peace is far cheaper!

Nothing wrong with a good baseball story, though.
I just finished Rites of Peace. Thanks for the suggestion; it was very readable.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I just finished Rites of Peace. Thanks for the suggestion; it was very readable.
I'm glad to hear it's good! I've got it, but it looks as if I'll be reading Waterloo first.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #26
bfisher
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Oh well. My thanks to those who voted for Christy Mathewson!
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm reading it (Pitching In A Pitch) now. It's mainly (at least so far) about Matthewson's experience playing for John McGraw's New York Giants in the dead-ball era. Matthewson had the third highest number of wins in MLB, and he was playing for arguably the best manager in MLB history. Matthewson wrote it at the peak of his career. It's very readable for a jock book (Matthewson graduated from Bucknell before going into pro baseball).
Old 07-09-2015, 06:12 PM   #27
bfisher
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm glad to hear it's good! I've got it, but it looks as if I'll be reading Waterloo first.
I really enjoyed reading Rites of Peace (Zamoyski kept it lively - such scandalous doings and dirty deeds); and I think it does a lot to explain how Prussia came to dominate Germany in the 19th century.

I'm a Cornwall fan (Sharpe and the Grail Quest). I'll have a long wait to read Waterloo, but I have high expectations for it. I'm looking forward to reading the comments on it.

Last edited by bfisher; 07-09-2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-09-2015, 07:38 PM   #28
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I've just stopped reading Cornwell (25% through). I'm quite disappointed in the style he chose for this non-fiction book. There are numerous paragraphs that are more than one page long, and in my opinion, a lack of clarity generally. I will discuss further in the commentary thread.

I'm looking forward to reading Zamoyski (after I've finished Camus).
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #29
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I really enjoyed reading Rites of Peace (Zamoyski kept it lively - such scandalous doings and dirty deeds); and I think it does a lot to explain how Prussia came to dominate Germany in the 19th century.
Thanks for the comment. I am getting more and more interested in reading this. It will be as a paper book from my local library though.

I was able to immediately obtain the ebook of What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions*by Randall Munroe from my local library and read about 10% of it before giving up. I just found it pretty shallow and silly regarding science.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #30
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I ended up gagging on the price of this as an eBook, so I'm listening to it as an Audible book. Read primarily by the author, and he does a good job unlike most authors who should stick to their writing. Meanwhile, just for fun, I've also pulled out my copy of An Infamous Army, by Georgette Heyer.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote