Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
elmussol
elmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Reader Wifi
Ubuntu debs on Debian

Hi All

New to the world of ebooks generally, so getting my toolkit together. I am disappointed to find:

Code:
box:~# aptitude search sigil
box:~#
But I notice there are debs for Ubuntu which seem likely to work. I am presently running Debian Wheezy (with bits of Sid).

Do others have good experiences? Which is the deb for me (I'm thinking precise)?

el Mussol
elmussol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
I have been using Sigil 0.5.3 on a 32-bit Debian sid (actually aptosid) system for routine production work. It was installed from the linux binary install that you can still download from the Sigil download page (use "search all downloads").

Note however, that due to certain QT issues, Sigil does not play nicely with KDE from about KDE ver 4.6 up. Most things work, but for example you can't drag and drop chapters to change their order without crashing Sigil. This is true even if you build from source, in my experience.

If you're planning on using Sigil extensively, and especially going forward, you might want to consider Ubuntu, and set it up to build from source.

Of course, if you're using Gnome or XFCE or some other non-KDE desktop, you may be fine.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
elmussol
elmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura aboutelmussol has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Reader Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
I have been using Sigil 0.5.3 on a 32-bit Debian sid (actually aptosid) system for routine production work. It was installed from the linux binary install that you can still download from the Sigil download page (use "search all downloads").
This is good to know, thanks. I will consider this and the compile myself options.

Quote:
If you're planning on using Sigil extensively, and especially going forward, you might want to consider Ubuntu, and set it up to build from source.
I'm not going to be switching to Ubuntu ;-) I have poked a couple of Debian maintainers to see if it can be picked up. One is interested...

Quote:
Of course, if you're using Gnome or XFCE or some other non-KDE desktop, you may be fine.
I use Awesome WM, so the KDE/Qt problems you describe may not apply.

el Mussol
elmussol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmussol View Post
I'm not going to be switching to Ubuntu ;-) I have poked a couple of Debian maintainers to see if it can be picked up. One is interested...
That would be great!
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote