Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
IRC channel support

EDIT: This thread just keeps growing even after I "closed" it. If we keep this up it may gather some useful content.

This thread was intended to support the developer's IRC channel. It was misinterpreted as a gateway to channel support requests to the IRC channel. It served its original purpose (to deliver an attachment). It is no longer needed. Its content was of a transient nature and is no longer needed. All of my thread content has been removed.

Let us consider this thread closed.

I have requested that this thread be deleted by a site moderator.

Thanks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-11-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-11-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
mc2739
mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
This thread will contain excerpts from the IRC channel that may be of help to others.
It might be a good idea to add server/channel info to your initial post for those that don't know where the IRC channel is.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
geekmaster

Old 01-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why the heck use efnet? It doesn't have services. You want an IRC network that has services.
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
geekmaster

Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Considering a lot of it has to do with open-source, or is development related; surely freenode would be a more logical choice?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
geekmaster

Old 01-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
geekmaster

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-11-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
The whole point of the IRC was to prevent the forums from being flooded with small bits of development talk. The IRC isn't for support either. The topic is "Kindle development and hacking. Let's keep it technical." Aka, it's purely for people who want to develop for the kindle to discuss technical Kindle things. Nothing else. I don't see the point of posting excerpts from the IRC. If you found something cool or want to release a new product or something, start a thread or reply to a thread. Making a thread to repost stuff from the IRC defeats the purpose of both the forums and the IRC.

And JSWolf means no services as in no chanserv, nickserv, etc. I used EFNet because it was the oldest IRC community. Not a good reason, I know, but meh. There are no OPs because I don't want the burden of operating a channel so I took the lazy way out.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
geekmaster

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-11-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Surely efnet is not as bad as you seem to imply by your suggestion. Efnet is old-school, after all. And the existing channel has an active developer community. A new channel will fragment that community. How is that a good thing?

And my original question still goes unanswere... WHAT SERVICES ARE MISSING?

Maybe we should rename this thread into "The Troll Channel"...
Chanserv, Nickserv, Memoserv are all missing. The fact that the channel has no OPS is a good reason to move. If there were services, the OPS would be there. The only way to get OPS in efnet is for the channel to be cleared and then the first person in the channel gets to be an OP. It's a poor place to put the channel. No OPS/No services means anyone can go in and cause problems like flooding the channel. Plus, nicks are not protected so anyone can steal your nick once you leave efnet.

I agree that Freenode is a much better place to put the channel. efnet is akin to not giving a shit.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay then. We got our definitive answer. The purpose of this thread was a place to attach a file that was requested on the IRC channel. I did not give the IRC channel in the original post. It was added later. This thread has served its original purpose.

I thought this thread might also be useful as a place for filtered snippets from IRC channel that may be of interest to people in the forums who do not use IRC. It appears the the IRC channel originator (yifanlu) does not approve of this thread.

So, let's assume that this thread has been closed and let it rest in peace, shall we?

I'm just giving my opinion. One of the reasons why I'm not OP in the IRC is because I feel that the community as a whole should decide on things, and I don't like being "the head" of something. My words are not final. If you believe you're right, do as you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Chanserv, Nickserv, Memoserv are all missing. The fact that the channel has no OPS is a good reason to move. If there were services, the OPS would be there. The only way to get OPS in efnet is for the channel to be cleared and then the first person in the channel gets to be an OP. It's a poor place to put the channel. No OPS/No services means anyone can go in and cause problems like flooding the channel. Plus, nicks are not protected so anyone can steal your nick once you leave efnet.

I agree that Freenode is a much better place to put the channel. efnet is akin to not giving a shit.
Agreed.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
The whole point of the IRC was to prevent the forums from being flooded with small bits of development talk. The IRC isn't for support either. The topic is "Kindle development and hacking. Let's keep it technical." Aka, it's purely for people who want to develop for the kindle to discuss technical Kindle things. Nothing else. I don't see the point of posting excerpts from the IRC. If you found something cool or want to release a new product or something, start a thread or reply to a thread. Making a thread to repost stuff from the IRC defeats the purpose of both the forums and the IRC.

And JSWolf means no services as in no chanserv, nickserv, etc. I used EFNet because it was the oldest IRC community. Not a good reason, I know, but meh. There are no OPs because I don't want the burden of operating a channel so I took the lazy way out.
Even if you don't want to run the channel, just find others who can run the channel instead. But to do that, you'll have to move the channel to a decent network such a Freenode.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Even if you don't want to run the channel, just find others who can run the channel instead. But to do that, you'll have to move the channel to a decent network such a Freenode.
Ok you guys convinced me. I've started a new room on freenode: irc://irc.freenode.net:6667/kindledev

I'm a noob at irc but you obviously know what you're talking about.
Closed Thread