Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Question image of 4th gen kindle w/on-screen keyboard showing

anyone have an image of what the non-touch on-screen 4th gen keyboard looks like? attach an image please, .
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
anyone have an image of what the non-touch on-screen 4th gen keyboard looks like? attach an image please, .
Here you go:

Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Oooooh..... LoL I'm loving it!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool duh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Here you go:

looks like i didn't scroll low enough on that page at amazon. and i thought i went all the way to the bottom. it looks like a quite acceptable alternative to a full-blown touchscreen interface, but only time will tell.

and the numbers are back!! hooray for that.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Oh, no, it's an alphabetical order. That's horrible .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When you have an on-screen keyboard with no touch, it's fine to have alphabetical order. You need to use the 5-way controller to navigate to all the different keys so I don't think having a QWERTY layout would make much difference in speed of entry.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When you have an on-screen keyboard with no touch, it's fine to have alphabetical order. You need to use the 5-way controller to navigate to all the different keys so I don't think having a QWERTY layout would make much difference in speed of entry.
I'd be pretty sure, though, that the Touch versions will have the same soft keyboard. That's where it's bad. Perhaps I'm wrong - I hope I am!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Apparently the Touch DOES have a QWERTY keyboard. Thanks goodness for that!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Zeebra
Evangelist

Quote:
Apparently the Touch DOES have a QWERTY keyboard. Thanks goodness for that!
Oh yeah, having a QWERTY on a touch screen is a must. They have that...here's a screenshot:

Old 09-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Not for me! My Garmin GPS has an onscreen alphabetical keyboard and it is terrible to use. The GPS is touchscreen, but my brain has trouble finding the letters as it is so used to QWERTY!

I just changed my mind and ordered the non-touch model. It should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how much of a pain the onscreen keyboard is.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool yikes!

Quote:
holy cow batman! i didn't even notice that!! and i was naive enough to assume (there it goes again) that the keyboard would be touch sensitive and that there just isn't a touch ui. i take it i was incorrect and it's not, bummer! what a let-down.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #12
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Not for me! My Garmin GPS has an onscreen alphabetical keyboard and it is terrible to use. The GPS is touchscreen, but my brain has trouble finding the letters as it is so used to QWERTY!
I don't know which model Garmin you have, but there's a trivial way of getting a QWERTY keyboard. I did this years ago, but seem to remember that you plug the GPS into your computer via USB, open one of the non-US keyboards in Notepad (ex. UK) where you will see ABCDEF..... - simply change the order of the letters to QWERTY... and then point to your newly edited locale in Settings. No, it doesn't work with the US keyboard, which is hard-coded, nor does it affect the voice - my KB is QWERTY and my voice is Dr.Nightmare (lots of bass that carries well in my way-too-loud Mustang GT)

Quote:
I just changed my mind and ordered the non-touch model. It should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how much of a pain the on-screen keyboard is.
I saw your other post about receiving your new Kindle. How to the page turn buttons "feel"? Are they flimsy, or do you think they'll hold up for years?
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:55 AM   #13
flourish
Enthusiast
flourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura about

Device: kindle NT, Samsung galaxy reverb
I just got the new Kindle today and I honestly don't mind the onscreen keyboard. I wouldn't want to type novels on it (or emails/notes for that matter), but for basic text entry for collections and book searches it works fine.
flourish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

After using my K4 NT on screen keyboard for a while now I find it okay, even though the letters are not in QWERTY. If you use the Page buttons to cycle through the tabs, it is much quicker to use than scrolling to the tab via the 5-way controller. I still recommend the K3 if you need to type a lot.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Oh yeah, having a QWERTY on a touch screen is a must. They have that...here's a screenshot:

On Android and iOS, if you tap and hold a letter on the virtual keyboard, it brings up a sub-panel with 'diacritic' forms that are needed for at least the Latin-based western European alphabets (iOS includes eastern Europe and Turkish letter forms as well). Hopefully Touch will do at least this much and in as convenient a fashion.

I'm guessing there will probably be no input method for cyrillic or CJK, however.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote