Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-29-2015, 06:11 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
Thank you ekbell and issybird! I had no idea they were available in Canada.

A little trip and that terrific 50% Kobo coupon and the omnibus book is mine.
They're only available in Canada because they're in the public domain in Canada. You cannot legally buy them if you're in a country in which they're still protected by copyright. It's piracy, plain and simple, to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:44 AM   #62
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They're only available in Canada because they're in the public domain in Canada. You cannot legally buy them if you're in a country in which they're still protected by copyright. It's piracy, plain and simple, to do so.
Of course, crossing the border into Canada before buying/downloading would make it perfectly legal.

I must admit that I find it hard to worry about the potential losses to an estate of someone who died more than 50 years ago. Especially as the desired product isn't available where the copyright is still valid.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Of course, crossing the border into Canada before buying/downloading would make it perfectly legal.
Very true.

Quote:
I must admit that I find it hard to worry about the potential losses to an estate of someone who died more than 50 years ago. Especially as the desired product isn't available where the copyright is still valid.
One may not worry about it, but it's undeniably illegal.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:04 AM   #64
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One may not worry about it, but it's undeniably illegal.
Rather like driving at 71mph in a 70mph zone.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:33 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Rather like driving at 71mph in a 70mph zone.
Except that we do, as you know, have guidelines about advocating ebook piracy on MR, which is what this is .
Old 10-29-2015, 07:46 AM   #66
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
I was going to say they are in ebook form on Amazon ... and then I remembered I use Amazon.ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
Thank you ekbell and issybird! I had no idea they were available in Canada.

A little trip and that terrific 50% Kobo coupon and the omnibus book is mine.

Alas no illustrations but I can scan my decrepit old paperbacks and edit them in. Well, one of these days, anyway, as there are so many of them
Moderator Notice

Note that books by Laura Ingalls Wilder are out of copyright in Canada, but are still in copyright in the US and EU.

Only people physically present Canada are legally allowed to purchase and download the ebook versions available in Canada, because the point of sale for an ebook is the location of the person buying the ebook.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #67
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I'd love to see this as an ebook, as well as books by Margery Sharp and "Tryst" by Elswyth Thane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I'd love to get "84, Charing Cross Road" as an ebook. The sequel, The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street is now available for preorder, so I have a tiny bit of hope.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #68
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I was going to say The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende, but I see it's recently come out as an ebook! I've seen her other books as ebooks for a while, but this one was a hold out. I'm glad its out now!

Last edited by NickyWithNook; 10-29-2015 at 10:03 AM.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
I'd love to see this as an ebook, as well as books by Margery Sharp and "Tryst" by Elswyth Thane.
On Amazon UK, "84, Charing Cross Road" is available as an eBook in Spanish, but not in English .
Old 10-29-2015, 10:08 AM   #70
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
On Amazon UK, "84, Charing Cross Road" is available as an eBook in Spanish, but not in English .
It's the same in the US--the Spanish translation is available in ebook form, but not the English.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #71
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
  • Asimov's Guide to the Bible
  • The New Jerusalem Bible (it's available as a Logos book and can be read a couple of places online, but it's not available as a standard ebook)
  • The New English Bible (same deal)
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #72
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
When I was young I used to enjoy reading the historical novels of Frank Yerby. I'm about to turn 75 so that was a very long time ago. Since then I've been unable to find them as ebooks.

Yerby is almost forgotten these days, for some reason. Back in the 1940s and 1950s he was a huge bestselling author. The majority of his books would have to be classified today as historical romance novels about plantation life in past centuries in the USA. However, he wrote more serious historical novels as well, and those are the ones I'd like to re-read. But I can't, it seems. Amazon has one, which I've bought and have on my Kindle. And that's it.

Quite a few of his novels were made into movies. During his lifetime he sold 55 million books and they were translated into quite a few languages. It's amazing to me that someone that popular can simply disappear.

I remember a news report about him, probably sometime in the 1960's, where it was reported that he was a black man and that his publishers had always kept that a secret. Now I can't find any mention of that ever having been a secret. It seems that history keeps right on changing.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:19 PM   #73
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
I'd like to see Albert Cohen's Belle du Seigneur in English as an E-book. The book is available at my library but there's no way I can handle DTB font sizes for over 900 pages.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:50 PM   #74
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
A few years ago, I gave up and bought the giant tome "A Suitable Boy" by Vikram Seth, because it's the size of war and peace, and I can't see it ever gettting e'ed. I tend to buy long books because I tend to read slowly and flit from book to book, at that. So it was a decent buy.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #75
GibbinR
Connoisseur
GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad mini 5, Kindle Oasis 3
This may be slightly off-topic, so the moderator should feel free to move it to another forum, but thinking in terms of physical books, it has always been possible to buy books published in the US (for example) in the UK. I'm thinking in terms of SF now. There was for many years, and still is for all I know, a shop in London called 'Forbidden Planet' which sold imported US-published SF books that weren't otherwise available in the UK. I assume this was perfectly legal. The shop was open for at least twenty years, with no attempt to conceal its existence.
Somehow what the e-publishing industry needs is a way to do 'personal' imports, or limited imports from other jurisdictions. I'm not advocating breaking the law, quite the contrary. But if it's legal for physical books in small quantities, why cannot some mechanism be found to make it legal for e-books too?
For physical books one typically paid more - after all the books had to be freighted across the Atlantic. Personally I wouldn't object to, say, paying a fee to some notional copyright fund when importing from another jurisdiction, so that whoever turns out to own the rights gets their cut eventually. What seems ridiculous is the current system of blanket non-availability, presumably for basically financial reasons, when people like me are only too willing to pay a bit extra for the privilege. I think a little technical/legal creativity is required. Current DRM/licensing/distribution technology doesn't reflect the complexity of the real world.
GibbinR is offline   Reply With Quote