Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #15871
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey a couple of days ago. It's a 900 page fantasy novel, and I read it in 11 days, which is well above my normal reading rate, and that should tell you how much I liked it. As I mentioned before, it's a tricky one to recommend because of its dark sexual content, but ultimately it's still a quality piece of epic fantasy with a very unusual protagonist. I'll definitely be reading more in the series. This book is technically part of a trilogy, but stands alone as a complete story, with just the barest tease of the next volume right at the end.

I also managed to finished Replay: The History of Video Games by Tristan Donovan yesterday. I had left it untouched for at least a year, maybe even two, and then it turned out I was only about ten pages from the start of the appendices and indexes. It's a good read, if you're at all interested in video gaming, but I found the early stuff a lot more interesting than the later stuff, which is kind of why I let it lapse.

Having enjoyed the Jacqueline Carey, I decided I was willing to attempt something I was less keen on, and have started Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov, his belated sequel to the Foundation Trilogy, which I read last year. I'm expecting it to be a bit boring, but it won a Hugo, so I have to trudge my way through it just to cross it off the list. I'm really hoping to have my expectations confounded.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #15872
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's shocking. I'd ask for my money back!
It was a freebie from Amazon.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #15873
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
It was a freebie from Amazon.
Apache
I know. It was a feeble attempt at humour on my part .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #15874
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Almost finished with "The Woman in Black," by Susan Hill.

This is a great haunted house mystery.

Highly recommended.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #15875
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Highly recommended.
I've seen the stage version of it twice. REALLY good.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #15876
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Having myself a mini-marathon with the final two volumes of Robert V.S. Redick's "The Chathrand Voyage" series (epic fantasy/nautical). I put the series down when it grew from its originally planned three volumes to four. Now that the final book is out, I look forward to reading both books straight through and putting another series to bed! The goal is to never be stuck in the middle of another fantasy series (the one story/multiple installments kind) again. Just a handful to go now.

I've found that after the initial anticipation of a new series (or subseries)... it's quite painless to wait until I have a complete story to read (and the reward is quite sweet).

I've slowly been making a fantasy reading transition where series' will be the exception rather than the rule.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #15877
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:

Highly recommended.

Don
I started this one about two months ago but I never finished it. I read up to the chapter 'In the Nursery' (60%) and I stopped. I had only three chapters left. Nothing happens in the book! I felt like there wasn't development in the story to keep my attention. I still have the chapter bookmarked so maybe I'll go back and force myself into reading the last three chapters.

Last edited by Gazella; 03-11-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #15878
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
I started this one about two months ago but I never finished it. I read up to the chapter 'In the Nursery' (60%) and I stopped. I had only three chapters left. Nothing happens in the book! I felt like there wasn't development in the story to keep my attention. I still have the chapter bookmarked so maybe I'll go back and force myself into reading the last three chapters.

For me, it's the atmospheric writing (as well as the creepiness). Also, for some reason, it reminded me of Arthur Machen, in that the writing is very mannered.

The book is about 30 years old and I think it has been (or will be?) made into a film.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #15879
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
The book is about 30 years old and I think it has been (or will be?) made into a film.
The film version was released in 2012.

I'm interested to see that the stage version has been running constantly in London since 1989; that makes it the 2nd longest-running West End play, after Agatha Christie's "The Mousetrap".

Last edited by HarryT; 03-11-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #15880
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
The film version was released in 2012.
That's right. There's also going to be a sequel titled The Woman in Black: Angel of Death.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #15881
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:

Highly recommended.

Don
What a coincidence - I just started reading Wilkie Collins' "The Woman in White."

I will have to check out the Susan Hill novel, too!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #15882
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
I've seen the stage version of it twice. REALLY good.
I gasped aloud at the point where the villain unexpectedly pops up!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #15883
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I just finished "The Pines" by Blake Crouch. At first I was a bit dissatisfied with his constant reminder of how unsettling things felt, how sinister things seemed to be, etc., as if he couldn't come up with a better way of developing the mood. But for some reason, I wanted to continue reading it... and glad I did. This wasn't the best written piece I've ever seen, but it sure had a surprise ending! I never saw it coming! A quick read that I'd recommend to those who aren't too finicky about writing style but love good content!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:21 AM   #15884
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished Live Free or Die by John Ringo. It was an okay book, except for the overuse of he said, he said, he said for everything that was said! UGH

Well, since I just bought Ever After by Kim Harrison for $14.99 I figure I should start it right away. Yup, right to the top of the reading list!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #15885
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Harriers, Book One: War and Honor. A series created by Gordon R Dickinson.
OK. Nothing special, in terms of small-scale Mil SF. I didn't feel that the set-up was sufficient to carry the linked stories.

Next up: The Masks of Time by Robert Silverberg.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote