Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #46
natsume
natsume began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
full version of website

Hello.

I was all set to buy a Kobo Arc this weekend, but I have discovered while browsing the web on one in WHSmith that it loads the mobile versions of websites by default. I wanted to be able to play Scrabble Worldwide on Facebook, but this is not supported on the Facebook mobile website. Is it possible to change the browser setting to load the full version of websites, rather than mobile?
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #47
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Most, if not all, browsers (including the stock Android browser) has a setting to switch to the desktop version of the site in their main menu.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #48
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I am wondering if there is any chance of introducing something for Canadians like Amazon's prime lending library or Kindle's freetime unlimited streaming and apps. I am contemplating an iPad Mini, but if Kobo were planning a service like this, it would be an incentive for me to get the Arc instead.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #49
natsume

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Most, if not all, browsers (including the stock Android browser) has a setting to switch to the desktop version of the site in their main menu.
where is the setting, please? I looked through the settings menus and could not find it.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #50
natsume

I now see that I can download another browser eg Dolphin, which has a straightforward setting to load the desktop website

cheers
Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #51
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natsume View Post
where is the setting, please? I looked through the settings menus and could not find it.
Stock browser, Firefox, and Chrome (the big three) all have an option to request the desktop version of the site from the main menu - the three vertical squares up by the tabs & address bar.

And, surprising me, actually, Dolphin HD doesn't seem to have the option, at least not where I could find it just now. Strange. Could've sworn it did...
Old 12-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #52
Ameet
Ameet began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
widgets everywhere!

I recently bought an Arc for my wife and she now has screens full of widgets which she wants me to get rid of. Can anyone help please?
Ameet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #53
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Press and hold. Then drag them down to the trash can icon that'll appear at the bottom.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #54
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skouly View Post
Hi FaisalAbid: I just purchased a Kobo Arc and I am very impressed, especially after comparing it to the Nexus 7 (which I wrote about in detail in another thread). After reading the USB-OTG specification (USB On-the-Go), I am wondering if the Arc firmware can be tweaked with an update to allow the Arc to take advantage of this? Is this something that the developers would look at?

I know it was addressed by Kobo-Robin briefly in another thread, but since the Arc already has a micro-USB port, enabling USB-OTG would only require firmware tweaking, and adding to the already available USB 2.0 specification. Plus, it would allow many Arc owners the ability to load large content, ie: movies and videos, right from an attached USB stick. Let's face it, many Arc owners (and its demographic) aren't particularly keen on using the "Cloud" and this easily added functionality would really expand the Arc's capability.
is there an answer to this question
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #55
Ameet
Ameet began at the beginning.

Quote:
Press and hold. Then drag them down to the trash can icon that'll appear at the bottom.
I tried this but no trash can appears at the bottom like it does on the tapestry pages.
Ameet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #56
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameet View Post
I tried this but no trash can appears at the bottom like it does on the tapestry pages.
Huh. Strange. Do you mean deleting widgets from the widgets section of the App drawer? Those only get deleted when you delete the app they came with (from settings->apps).
Old 12-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #57
bo_bos
bo_bos began at the beginning.

Any idea when the Arc's Sleep Cover will be available? Unfortunately the website says nothing but is promoting it.
bo_bos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #58
dioioib
Enthusiast
dioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch N905B
I just bought a 64gb arc and was very Irritated to see the recommended book shelf at the bottom of the menu. This irritated me with the touch, but at least there are shelves to select there. Can something be done to remove this? I would rather have app icons down there anyway.
dioioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #59
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioioib View Post
I just bought a 64gb arc and was very Irritated to see the recommended book shelf at the bottom of the menu. This irritated me with the touch, but at least there are shelves to select there. Can something be done to remove this? I would rather have app icons down there anyway.
If you mean the Discover section, unfortunately there's nothing you can do to reclaim the space. Best you can do is go into Settings -> Apps -> All and look for the "Discovery Service" and disable it (and the "KoboTracking" and the blue & yellow one with the Chinese character while you're there - the latter is for inputting Asian characters, but it for some reason needs access to your contacts. I don't trust it). That will clear the pictures from the Discover area.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #60
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
Quote:
If you mean the Discover section, unfortunately there's nothing you can do to reclaim the space. Best you can do is go into Settings -> Apps -> All and look for the "Discovery Service" and disable it (and the "KoboTracking" and the blue & yellow one with the Chinese character while you're there - the latter is for inputting Asian characters, but it for some reason needs access to your contacts. I don't trust it). That will clear the pictures from the Discover area.
You can also choose to install a different launcher program - it takes away the stupid discovery bar completely and makes the tablet look like a true android device. The only drawback is then you don't have tapestries.... small price to pay IMO.
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ama, developers corner, kobo arc