Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #46
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
yes of course. its been a feature of onyx readers for a couple years
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #47
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Thanks. Side note, the Dulin's books link in your signature doesn't work.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #48
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I've just ordered one. With the resale money from my Sony T1 it turned out to be really cheap :-)
Old 07-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #49
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i know I closed the business down but for some reason havent removed the links. seems so ....final
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #50
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Well, I've just ordered one. With the resale money from my Sony T1 it turned out to be really cheap :-)
As I'm also contemplating this reader, I'd be interested in your impressions of it when it arrives. Particularly on how good the page-turn buttons are (the buttons are an Achilles' heel on my current PB360) & how much of a benefit the higher resolution is to readability.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:05 AM   #51
owly
Guru

Well, if you want a reader with good page turn buttons then I'd recommend Bookeens Cybook Odyssey http://bookeen.com/en/cybook/odyssey rather than the i62HD. The buttons creak, click and are stiff on this model. The only plus side is that since they are longer I can reach them easier. As for the text resolution, wow! Especially compared to the Kobo Touch even after the update there is a big difference in the smaller print. I'm also impressed with the many choices of FBreader, though you have to strip the DRM off your epub files for them to be able to used on the FBreader or Coolreader. The touch screen is very responsive and the page turns quick which is good since I prefer touch :-). I haven't tried reading a whole book yet so I'll just have to see how the weight effects things.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #52
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was hoping for a high resolution screen, so would be looking at a Wexler Flex One or a PAGEone HD as alternatives (though I've yet to see either on sale as yet). (I know the iriver Story HD is also out there -- but I don't really see the point of a keyboard on an eReader.)

How bad are the i62HD's buttons? I found the page-turn buttons on the PB360 to be so large, stiff & ill-positioned as to be unusable, so have used the D-Pad (itself rather stiff) for page turning --with the result that my thumbnail has now worn a deep notch in that side of the D-Pad and that side of it now 'squelches' rather than clicks when pushed. I don't mind a 'firm' push, but would prefer something that didn't require either two hands or finger-gymnastics to press.

I had assumed that, even with a touchscreen, I'd use a physical button for page-turning (99% of the interaction with an e-Reader). Should I be thinking about simply using the touchscreen for everything?

I agree with you about FBreader -- it was my favorite e-Reading software even on the desktop and a big selling feature for buying the PB360. It meant that I was able to very quickly get settings that I was completely comfortable with (and so haven't needed to change since).
Old 07-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #53
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
How bad are the i62HD's buttons? I found the page-turn buttons on the PB360 to be so large, stiff & ill-positioned as to be unusable, so have used the D-Pad (itself rather stiff) for page turning --with the result that my thumbnail has now worn a deep notch in that side of the D-Pad and that side of it now 'squelches' rather than clicks when pushed. I don't mind a 'firm' push, but would prefer something that didn't require either two hands or finger-gymnastics to press.
Side buttons are hard to push and make a lot of noise. They cannot be pressed with only one hand (that is, take i62 with one hand and put fingers around buttons and press one by swinging a finger as same way it can be done with Kindle 4 or Kindle Keyboard).

For me they seems very rough. However I think they are a lot of durables. I remember some Papyre (an old Hanlin variation) and Nook 1st edition non durable buttons.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #54
Hrafn
Fanatic

rfog:

So what would you say the ideal placement/design for page-turn keys is? I had thought that edge-placement would be ideal, but you obviously disagree, and I have no real-world experience to back up my hypothesis.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #55
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
I've tested and used:

Cybook GEN3
Hanlin (Papyre 5.1)
iLiad
Onyx Boox 60
DR1000
Kindle DXG
PocketBook 903 Pro
Kindle 2
Kindle 3 (Keyboard)
Kindle 4 (NT)
Kindle 5 (Touch)
Sonny T1
Boox i62HD

And winner is... Kindle 4 because buttons are soft, it can be hold with only one hand and can easily be pressed by side and by front when holding with two hands.

If you have opportunity, take one K4 and test it.

keys are sided at 45 degrees, that is you can "hold" with finger printer and doing a rotating pulsation with knuckle you get page done. But keys extend to both sides (front part and side device part). They makes a chamfer. I do not know how to explain in English, but you can see one hi-res image here: http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...angle%201).jpg
Of course, to use with only one hand you need to have no cover.

Second one is Sony T1 because it can be handled with left hand and press second button without problem.

For the older ones, Boox 60 was a great option because you can pass pages with the big round joystick.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #56
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
The Onyx reseller in Russia reports today that Onyx International will delay the release of the reader with plastic screen. The quality of the LG screens turns out not to be good enough. 20% of the screens have what they call a serious defect: tpp much ghosting.

Onyx now will wait until PVI has plastic screens available. They expect that will be mid-summer.
Anybody heard anything further on this (it now being past mid-Northern-summer)? Is a plastic-substrate version of the i62HD still expected in the near future?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #57
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
Anybody heard anything further on this (it now being past mid-Northern-summer)? Is a plastic-substrate version of the i62HD still expected in the near future?
Here a little bit more about plastic screens
http://translate.google.com/translat...D13340&act=url

AFAIK Onyx has currently no plans for plastic screens in i6X models.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #58
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
How is battery life compared whith kindle or Sony t1?
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #59
Danimus
Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Pro
I received my Onyx Boox i62HD 8 GB one week ago and this is my short feedback.
Since this is my first e-ink reader I will not compare it with other products but instead I will compare it with my expectations.

Specifications:
http://ereader-store.de/en/onyx-boox...oft-touch.html

Software:
Initial software was from April 2012 so I updated it with the latest software (Update-20120717) I downloaded from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183552 .
For update you need to have/buy micro SD card since it is not included.
Update contained new beta pdf reader with more options that the old one but it is missing some features and more about that you can check in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187895 .
Software is stable and battery life is great. Software supports multiple formats that are usually not supported and this is really great addition.
Also you can download and play some games like chess and Sokoban – links are in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164162 .
I hope that we will soon have a chance to test Android version of the software that is announced here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187849 .

Hardware:
Build quality is great. Screen is great and I also like side button keys layout since they are useful in all screen orientations. For audio you have Audio Out 3,5mm.
Here I’m missing built-in speakers and also I would prefer to have micro USB instead of mini USB port since I have micro on my phone and now I need to carry two different cables.

Reading experience:
Page turn is fast and pleasant and for page turn you can use side buttons or touch screen.
First of all I need to say that I’m reading mostly in a Landscape mode and all observations are for landscape mod.
For epub documents I’m using FBReader with font 22 and 100% line spacing.
For pdfs I’m using beta pdf reader and here I’m missing zoom that is between 200% and 300%. Also possibility for manual value of the zoom would be great. But if you are buying e-reader for reading pdf documents that my suggestion is definitely 9.7" screen e-reader.

Onyx Company:
Well. i62HD product is really great peace of hardware and software. Unfortunately I’m not able to say that for the manufacturer since I have a feeling that they are somehow lost on this global market. For example I was not able to find this model (i62HD with 8GB Storage) on their site http://www.onyxboox.com/ or http://www.onyx-international.com/en/index.html . Also if you check www.onyx-boox.ru/ you will see that on Russian market they have 7 different versions of i62.
Also new firmware needs to be downloaded from the forum site and you can newer tell if it is official software or not.
Danimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #60
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Hi, Danimus!

Thanks for your short review and sharing your expirience with other prospective users!
Just for your information - onyxbox.com is just another reseller in USA. Onyx-international.com is manufacturers website, but they seem not to care a lot about that site.
The i62HD 8GB Soft Touch sold by ereader-store.de has an unique hardware configuration, that was ordered especial for that store. E.g. all models in Russia don't have audio output. Onyx is manufacturing its devices on demand of distributor. Russian distributor abandoned on audio output. Polish distributor retrenches on HD screens and flash memory ..etc. We have decided to offer maximum on features.

Last edited by Booxtor; 08-27-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote