Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-06-2008, 07:08 AM   #1
ottocol
ottocol began at the beginning.

Device: none
iliad durability

Hi all:

I want to buy an Iliad, but reading several messages int the official irex forum and in this one about broken Iliad screens or dead pixel lines doesn't encourage me to spend a LOT of money in a product that seems so fragile...is it really SO fragile? much more than a pocket PC, for example?. I am not going to kick it on a regular basis, but as a product that you can carry anywhere it must be strong enough.

Can anybody tell me of his/her "long happy love story" with his/her Iliad without any problem? (I'm talking about long-term relationships with the machine, not passionate one-months romances followed by (screen) breakage) (wow, I should have posted this one to an "advice to the lovelorn" forum, I guess...)
ottocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
I've had mine for almost 6 months and used it almost every day, carried around a lot in the bag that comes with it. No dead pixies or lineouts or breakage. My two-year old son has terrified me several times by suddenly appearing with it (meaning that he got into our room, took it out of the bag which was hanging on a peg and brought it down stairs).
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
watcha
Not so junior!
watcha began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
It's always the bad news that gets the press...
I too have had mine six months, used almost daily and the hardware has caused no problems at all
fingers crossed, touch wood and other such superstitions
watcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I've had mine for almost a year, no problems. I do keep it in a zip case originally designed for a day planner, and I try to avoid letting it get squashed by heavy things pressing against it in my bag. The screen is larger than that of a palmtop, so a stress could more easily build up that could crack the screen, but I think a reasonable amount of caution is all most people need.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
I've had mine for eight months.

I normally don't transport it to and from work, so it lives primarily at home.

But I do take it on weekend trips and vacations, and have flown with it on four trips.

It's like new. I take care f it, but I don't baby it.

I do have a case for it, which I would recommend (I got one of the Book Jacket by M-edge).
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2008, 02:19 AM   #6
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
mine is in a cover and simply gets popped in my bag along with everything else. I have dropped in face down in a gravel car park with no ill effects, other than my own near heart failure as I watched my precious toy fall. I have had it for around 8 months and it gets constant use.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:38 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All eInk screens need to be treated with a certain amount of care, as they have a reasonably delicate glass substrate. However, avoid sharp knocks or pressure on the screen and you'll be fine. I've had three eInk devices over the last couple of years, and no problems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #8
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur
MarkRPenn began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
The nice textured rubbery coating is coming off mine in places, but other than that it's great (well, I now possibly have a hardware issue with wifi, but that's not durability as such). I keep it in the standard iRex cover, which protects the front and back nicely, but not the edges.

I've only had it since September though.

Mark
MarkRPenn is offline   Reply With Quote