Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-01-2021, 08:36 PM   #2296
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What @theducks said is largely true. But, if you have a recent good database backup, then you can restore that. Simply copy the database backup in place of the existing corrupt database. When you disconnect the device, shut it down completely. That will prevent the device from trying to use it. It will be read when you start up. After the device has started, connect to the PC and check the database again. The disconnect and it will cleanup the database removing or adding any changes you have made since. You will lose any reading status and annotations that changed since the backup. If you are using the plugin to store the reading status, then you can connect again and restore that for the books you have read since the backup was taken.

You can try to compress the database. Most of the errors are in the indexes. A compress can fix these. But, the first few errors are elsewhere. These might prevent the compress from happening at all.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:11 AM   #2297
jedineofr
jedineofr began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Clara HD
Hello.

It's ok, thanks to your help, I have restored an old database.
I don't have any more errors when I check it

I still have a small question about the bookmarks.
I had made a screenshot to remember the reading percentage If I change it in Calibre then do "Send to device" then disconnect and reconnect the Kobo, Calibre retrieves the old position from the Kobo

How do I force the changed position in Calibre to be sent to the Kobo?

Thanks in advance
jedineofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:07 AM   #2298
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedineofr View Post
Hello.

It's ok, thanks to your help, I have restored an old database.
I don't have any more errors when I check it
That's good.
Quote:
I still have a small question about the bookmarks.
I had made a screenshot to remember the reading percentage If I change it in Calibre then do "Send to device" then disconnect and reconnect the Kobo, Calibre retrieves the old position from the Kobo

How do I force the changed position in Calibre to be sent to the Kobo?
I'm not sure what you are actually doing.

It sounds like you have a percent read column, are setting this to some value and using "Send to device" to send a new copy of the book to the device. If do, that will not change the reading status on the device. Sending a book does just that. The device does not get any reading status from the book.

The plugin can restore the reading status to the device. It can do this for books on the device that are matched to books in the calibre library. This is done with the "Store/Restore current bookmark" option. When using the restore function, it will set the reading status on the device to the stored reading status. That writes the actual reading location, the percent read, the time last read and rating to the device. But, of these, only the reading location actually affects where you are in the book. This is the location in the book you were when you last read it. What is stored depends on the book format and must match the format of the book.

Changing the percent read and restoring that doesn't really do anything. That is calculated on the device based on where you are in the book as you read. You can easily change this to another number in the database, but, when you reopen the book, the percent read will be recalculated based on where the book is opened to.

The exception to this is 100%. If the percent read in the library is 100%, when you restore that to the device, the plugin sets the book status as read. In that case the reading position does not matter and only the last read timestamp has an affect. That will affect where the book sorts when using the "Recent" sort.

The reading position fetch has some setting based on the status of the book in the library. There are options for comparing the last read date on the device to that in the library, and whether the books is finished. If you are trying to restore the status to the device, you probably should turn the automatic fetch off until you have it sorted out.

If all you want to do is mark books as finished on the device, you can do it with the "Store/Restore current bookmark" option. You can also do it with the "Update metadata in device library" option. The bottom of that dialog has options to set the reading status for the selected books. And the "Change Reading Status in device library" option can be used from the device list. That will work for all books, not just books in your calibre library. With both of these options, it can set the last read timestamp to the current time. You do not have the option to set it to when the books were actually read.

Hopefully that will explain what needs to be done. If I have misunderstood what the problem is, please explain what you are trying to achieve. And if there are any problems with what I have said above, please ask and I'll try and do a better job.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:33 AM   #2299
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
How would I restore a database backup taken with Kobo Utilities? Just copy the files over?

Also, should I restore, considering it was the Kobo resetting itself after a "malformed database" error?

More information: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=342091

EDIT: Well, I tried restoring my database. I checked and noticed some of my books had out-of-date TOCs. So I tried to update them and

Code:
calibre, version 5.28.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ConstraintError</b>:ConstraintError: UNIQUE constraint failed: content.ContentID

calibre 5.28 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (7, 2, 1) && Action Chains (1, 13, 2) && Audit Log (1, 0, 16) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 16) && Calibre Power Search Plugin (2, 1, 0) && Comments Cleaner (1, 4, 0) && Count Pages (1, 11, 1) && Embed Comic Metadata (1, 6, 1) && EpubCheck (0, 2, 3) && EpubMerge (2, 11, 0) && Extract ISBN (1, 5, 0) && FanFicFare (4, 6, 0) && Fantastic Fiction (1, 4, 0) && Favourites Menu (1, 0, 5) && Find Duplicates (1, 8, 10) && Generate Cover (2, 0, 2) && GetFileName (0, 1, 1) && Goodreads (1, 5, 1) && Import List (1, 5, 6) && Job Spy (1, 0, 190) && Kindle hi-res covers (0, 5, 0) && Kobo Books (1, 8, 2) && Kobo Utilities (2, 14, 1) && KoboTouchExtended (3, 5, 3) && Last Modified (0, 7, 1) && Library Codes (1, 0, 50) && Manage Series (1, 2, 11) && Modify ePub (1, 6, 3) && Obok DeDRM (7, 2, 1) && Open With (1, 5, 13) && Overdrive Link (2, 47, 0) && Quality Check (1, 11, 4) && Reading List (1, 7, 7) && Search The Internet (1, 8, 1) && SmartEject (2, 3, 0) && Standard Ebooks (1, 0, 0) && Sum Column (0, 3, 1) && View Manager (1, 6, 1) && Walk Search History (1, 3, 2) && Overdrive Link* (2, 47, 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 5361, in update_book_toc_on_device
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 5789, in update_device_toc_for_books
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 5813, in update_device_toc_for_book
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 5926, in addChapterToDatabase
apsw.ConstraintError: ConstraintError: UNIQUE constraint failed: content.ContentID
I'm going to take this as the database already being screwed up at the time the backup was taken. I'll just do the sign out-sign in process and re-send all my sideloads.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-02-2021 at 01:49 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:24 PM   #2300
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also: What exactly is happening if I use Kobo Utilities to set the font on a book that's a PDF?

I was bulk-adding some font settings in advance (I found it the best way to prevent weird font settings carrying over from other books) and I know there were a few PDFs mixed in to those. The numbers matched up so it didn't just skip over those. But the font setting doesn't have any effect on PDF files.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-02-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:33 PM   #2301
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
How would I restore a database backup taken with Kobo Utilities? Just copy the files over?

Also, should I restore, considering it was the Kobo resetting itself after a "malformed database" error?

More information: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=342091

EDIT: Well, I tried restoring my database. I checked and noticed some of my books had out-of-date TOCs. So I tried to update them and

Code:
calibre, version 5.28.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ConstraintError</b>:ConstraintError: UNIQUE constraint failed: content.ContentID

calibre 5.28 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (7, 2, 1) && Action Chains (1, 13, 2) && Audit Log (1, 0, 16) && Barnes & Noble (1, 2, 16) && Calibre Power Search Plugin (2, 1, 0) && Comments Cleaner (1, 4, 0) && Count Pages (1, 11, 1) && Embed Comic Metadata (1, 6, 1) && EpubCheck (0, 2, 3) && EpubMerge (2, 11, 0) && Extract ISBN (1, 5, 0) && FanFicFare (4, 6, 0) && Fantastic Fiction (1, 4, 0) && Favourites Menu (1, 0, 5) && Find Duplicates (1, 8, 10) && Generate Cover (2, 0, 2) && GetFileName (0, 1, 1) && Goodreads (1, 5, 1) && Import List (1, 5, 6) && Job Spy (1, 0, 190) && Kindle hi-res covers (0, 5, 0) && Kobo Books (1, 8, 2) && Kobo Utilities (2, 14, 1) && KoboTouchExtended (3, 5, 3) && Last Modified (0, 7, 1) && Library Codes (1, 0, 50) && Manage Series (1, 2, 11) && Modify ePub (1, 6, 3) && Obok DeDRM (7, 2, 1) && Open With (1, 5, 13) && Overdrive Link (2, 47, 0) && Quality Check (1, 11, 4) && Reading List (1, 7, 7) && Search The Internet (1, 8, 1) && SmartEject (2, 3, 0) && Standard Ebooks (1, 0, 0) && Sum Column (0, 3, 1) && View Manager (1, 6, 1) && Walk Search History (1, 3, 2) && Overdrive Link* (2, 47, 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 5361, in update_book_toc_on_device
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 5789, in update_device_toc_for_books
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 5813, in update_device_toc_for_book
  File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.action", line 5926, in addChapterToDatabase
apsw.ConstraintError: ConstraintError: UNIQUE constraint failed: content.ContentID
I'm going to take this as the database already being screwed up at the time the backup was taken. I'll just do the sign out-sign in process and re-send all my sideloads.
If you are using the automatic database backup, it runs a check on the database after copying it and before zipping it up. If the database is corrupt, it puts the word "CORRUPT" in the file name and does not zip it. Plus it should display an error.

That error isn't about database corruption as such. It says there was a duplicate key. There is probably an inconsistency between the books on the device and in the database. After restoring the backup, make sure you restart the device and then connect and disconnect the device before doing anything else. That will give the device a chance to do any cleanup necessary and import new books. The only problem with this is if you any books you resent to the device after the backup was take, will be imported as new which means you will lose their reading status.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:30 PM   #2302
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Also: What exactly is happening if I use Kobo Utilities to set the font on a book that's a PDF?

I was bulk-adding some font settings in advance (I found it the best way to prevent weird font settings carrying over from other books) and I know there were a few PDFs mixed in to those. The numbers matched up so it didn't just skip over those. But the font setting doesn't have any effect on PDF files.
The font setting should be ignored for PDF. PDF are displayed as the creator intended. Kobo doesn't change anything. The database does have a zoom setting and it was saved in the past, but, it does not appear to be now.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:59 PM   #2303
pricciar
pricciar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
I don't know what my problem is. But, it's a weird one.

The first time I plug my Kobo in the plug-in will give me a list of 10 or so books that have been updated (that have no changes, they are all 100%). The next time the list will be 1 book. (the same books on both lists, the one, and the multiple). Each time I reconnect I will get the same behavior, first the multiple books, and then the one book.
This all started when I used what must have been a bad cable, or connection, and got cut off when plugging my kobo in.
Is there a way I can fix this? Should I restore from the backup?

I have debug files of both cases, if that could help.
pricciar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:16 PM   #2304
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricciar View Post
I don't know what my problem is. But, it's a weird one.

The first time I plug my Kobo in the plug-in will give me a list of 10 or so books that have been updated (that have no changes, they are all 100%). The next time the list will be 1 book. (the same books on both lists, the one, and the multiple). Each time I reconnect I will get the same behavior, first the multiple books, and then the one book.
How are you doing that? Are you connecting, letting the jobs run, ejecting and connecting again? Or one connect and stop and restart calibre? Or automatically running for the first and doing a manual fetch for the second.

Either of the first two should be getting all books. For the last one, the manual fetch checks for the currently selected books. If there is only one book selected, then it would be expected.

If the same books are coming back, then it could also be the preferences of the plugin. There is an option to not update for books that are at 100% in the library. And there is an option to check the last read timestamp. For both of these to work, you need to be storing these values. And it also means that you have to let the plugin do the update. That isn't strange to me as I occasionally have a book I don't accept the update for as I don't want to update the library.

There could also be a date or time difference between the device and the PC. If the time on the device is in the future, it can give some interesting behaviour.
Quote:
This all started when I used what must have been a bad cable, or connection, and got cut off when plugging my kobo in.
Is there a way I can fix this? Should I restore from the backup?
The behaviour sounds like it could be a corrupt database. Repeatedly getting the same results can be an indication of this. If you have a recent backup of the database, then you can restore it.
Quote:
I have debug files of both cases, if that could help.
Yes, I'd like to look at them. Either attach the full logs, or upload them somewhere and send me a PM with the link to them. And can you tell me which books are affected. It should be obvious, but, it lets me check we are both thinking the same thing.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:46 PM   #2305
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricciar View Post
For what it matters, I've noticed the same issue with my aging Kobo Aura HD and the original cable. It was just a bit loose in the port and tended to disconnect and occasionally resulted in database issues.

I got a replacement (Amazon Basics) which has a more snug fit and haven't had any disconnection issues when using it.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #2306
pricciar
pricciar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
I actually assumed the database was corrupt, but, I didn't see any messages from the plug-in, and I use the automatic db back up. So, I wasn't sure. I do have recent backups to go to.

The behavior is the same whether I eject and reconnect, or restart calibre. One connection will have the one book, the next will be multiple books.

How it usually works is that only the books that I have read since I last plugged in my Kobo show up. What's happening now is that a random list of books shows up when I plug in the one time, and one book will show up the other time.
Oh, also, if I have read any books in the meantime they show up when the one book shows up and have their data properly set in Calibre. But, they disappear in subsequent checks. (So, the data with those books is properly set. you'll notice in the log that Without Fail has been updated, but it's not one of the books that shows up, after the initial update.)

The multiple books are random some I read recently, and some long ago.
Gatecrasher
Case Histories
Before the Fall
Mr. Mercedes: A Novel
Crying in H Mart: A Memoir
Even Greater Mistakes
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w6z3f48uni...libre.jpg?dl=0

The single book is the last book I read before all of this started.
The Last Apothecary
https://www.dropbox.com/s/247y987nzi...libre.jpg?dl=0

date and time on the device and computer are correct and accurate.

I've send the logs by PM. Thank you very much for your help, and the plug in. It's the best!

@ownedbycats
Haha. I am dog/house sitting and I while I brought my own computer, I didn't bring my own cable. Their place is much nicer than mine, their cables not as nice, apparently. Thanks for the heads up!
pricciar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:43 PM   #2307
ai_monogatari
ai_monogatari began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Hi! First of all a big THANK YOU to the developer(s) of this plugin. I am not exaggerating when I say that I use it every day and it has really helped me keep my Kobo nicely organised.

For my birthday yesterday I received the new Kobo Sage. Previously I had been using the Kobo Aura One without issues for many years. I had it set up with custom columns to track and sync current reading location, percent read and last read, as well as a custom column for shelves/collections.

When importing my entire library from Calibre to my new Sage, importing the collections and books went smoothly. But when it started to sync the other columns, it said "no reading positions found to update" and didn't register anything on the device.

Checking it again with my Aura One, it works fine, so it can't be that there's been an update somewhere or I changed a column or setting. I have the Kobo Utilities Options set up exactly the same way for the Sage as for the Aura One (see screenshot).
screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/It76QBi

Could someone help me with this? Is it because the Sage is too new and it isn't supported yet by the plugin? Or do I need to change my settings somehow?

Thank you very much in advance!
ai_monogatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:47 PM   #2308
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Were you trying to sync the reading positions from calibre to your Sage? As far as I am aware, the sync is from the device to calibre.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:06 AM   #2309
ai_monogatari

@DNSB Yes I was...Since I recently switched ereaders, it's my other ereader (Aura One) that has all the reading positions on the device.

For some reason I guess I thought/hoped there would be a way to push the reading positions from Calibre to my new ereader as well when I transferred my entire library to that device...I didn't consider it would only be one way.

Is there absolutely no way for me to achieve this automatically? I have to do it manually on my new device?
Old 10-28-2021, 05:44 AM   #2310
ai_monogatari

[Update] I played around with the plugin a bit more and I think I found it!
With my new Sage connected, I selected all of the ebooks on my device in Calibre. Then I clicked "Store/Restore current bookmark" in the plugin menu and then in the pop-up menu I chose "Restore" and ticked "Set Reading Status", unticking everything else.

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/shz4bwJ.png

This seems to have worked like a charm! Now it really looks like I transferred my entire library from my Aura One to my Sage, with all metadata - including the custom columns - intact!

I apologize for not being more thorough in my investigation of this plugin. Signs of old age, perhaps?

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities