Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-12-2022, 08:05 AM   #1
ananchovy
ananchovy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Lightbulb A true VNC viewer (client) for Kobo

Hello,

I wrote a VNC viewer optimised for eInk screens and text workflows.
It achieves 30 fps.

Full screen updates break that framerate slightly, but no matter.

Please see the video and link below.

Read the entire document (github readme) before trying it out, please.
It mentions, among other things, that the only supported server is TightVNC.

Link to the repository (binary available): https://github.com/everydayanchovies/eink-vnc

Demonstration video: https://zmarshall.nl/static/einkvnc_demo_kobo.webm

Cheers,

Max
ananchovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:49 AM   #2
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Interesting project, interesting video.
I will probably adapt this for InkBox OS as an user app (https://inkbox.ddns.net/wiki/index.p..._GUI_user_apps)
Great work!
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2022, 09:05 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can this VNC be used with NickelMenu to launch it? Also, how do you close it once it is launched?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:30 AM   #4
ananchovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can this VNC be used with NickelMenu to launch it? Also, how do you close it once it is launched?
Yes, you could make a menu entry. See the github page for instructions on how to use the binary.
And you could make another entry if you wish, to kill it: "pkill einkvnc".
Old 08-12-2022, 09:37 AM   #5
ananchovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa View Post
Interesting project, interesting video.
I will probably adapt this for InkBox OS as an user app (https://inkbox.ddns.net/wiki/index.p..._GUI_user_apps)
Great work!
Thanks
You're welcome it.
Interesting project you've got going there.
Advert
Old 08-12-2022, 10:41 AM   #6
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananchovy View Post
Thanks
You're welcome it.
Interesting project you've got going there.
Might even think about replacing the built-in one we provide by this, but extensive testing on other devices (we can help with that) and touch input support would be required.
A question: why and where on earth do you use MuPDF in a VNC viewer? ^^
EDIT: Also, has your binary been stripped? 5.89M is quite huge...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-12 at 10-41-13 eink-vnc_client_thirdparty_mupdf at main · everydayanchovies_e.png
Views:	607
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	195818  

Last edited by NiMa; 08-12-2022 at 10:47 AM.
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:22 PM   #7
elinkser
Groupie
elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
***UPDATE Dec 4*** NOW WORKING(see later comment)

Anyone manage to get this working on a Kobo Clara HD?
I got a stack overflow error.

The strace (from koreader terminal):

Spoiler:

(redacted)

execve("./einkvnc", ["./einkvnc", "10.171.114.133"], [/* 41 vars */]) = 0

--- SIGSEGV {si_signo=SIGSEGV, si_code=SEGV_MAPERR, si_addr=0x7e4befe8} ---
write(2, "\nthread '", 9
thread ') = 9
write(2, "main", 4main) = 4
write(2, "' has overflowed its stack\n", 27' has overflowed its stack
) = 27
write(2, "fatal runtime error: ", 21fatal runtime error: ) = 21
write(2, "stack overflow", 14stack overflow) = 14
write(2, "\n", 1
) = 1
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, [ABRT], NULL, 8) = 0
tgkill(2265, 2265, SIGABRT) = 0
--- SIGABRT {si_signo=SIGABRT, si_code=SI_TKILL, si_pid=2265, si_uid=0} ---
+++ killed by SIGABRT +++
Aborted#

Last edited by elinkser; 01-07-2023 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Clean up spam - binary does in fact work -retried spoiler
elinkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:08 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
At a quick glance, don't run this from within KOReader, our LD_LIBRARY_PATH is probably not playing ball.

(Also, you appear to have an old, old, old /mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader/libs/libgcc_s.so.1 in there, for some reason. I don't ever remember when we shipped that, but it's nasty, get rid of it).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 11:38 AM   #9
elinkser
Groupie
elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Lol, that was a lib I copied from the Debian Jessie archive when I was trying to reuse old deb binaries for the Kobo.

Unfortunately, after removing that old libgcc_s and running einkvnc from telnet, I get similar strace:

Spoiler:

execve("./einkvnc", ["./einkvnc", "192.168.43.1"], [/* 9 vars */]) = 0
brk(0) = 0x5590f000
uname({sys="Linux", node="kobo", ...}) = 0

.'.

open("/proc/self/maps", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
fcntl64(3, F_GETFD) = 0x1 (flags FD_CLOEXEC)
getrlimit(RLIMIT_STACK, {rlim_cur=8192*1024, rlim_max=RLIM_INFINITY}) = 0
fstat64(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0444, st_size=0, ...}) = 0
mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x76f0a000
read(3, "54b51000-54d11000 r-xp 00000000 "..., 1024) = 1024
read(3, "2.11.1.so\n76e58000-76e59000 rw-p"..., 1024) = 1024
read(3, "b/libarmmem-v7l.so\n76ed3000-76ee"..., 1024) = 772
close(3) = 0
munmap(0x76f0a000, 4096) = 0
sched_getaffinity(5656, 32, {1}) = 4
ioctl(2, SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE or SNDRV_TIMER_IOCTL_NEXT_DEVICE or TCGETS, 0x7eb81e84) = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
syscall_384(0x7eb819f8, 0x10, 0x1, 0, 0, 0) = 0x10
socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM|SOCK_CLOEXEC, IPPROTO_IP) = 3
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(5900), sin_addr=inet_addr("192.168.43.1")}, 16) = 0
recv(3, "RFB 003.008\n", 12, 0) = 12
send(3, "RFB 003.008\n", 12, MSG_NOSIGNAL) = 12
recv(3, "\2", 1, 0) = 1
recv(3, "\2", 1, 0) = 1
recv(3, "\20", 1, 0) = 1
close(3) = 0
clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME, {1666969923, 220886694}) = 0
--- SIGSEGV {si_signo=SIGSEGV, si_code=SEGV_MAPERR, si_addr=0x7e382fd8} ---
write(2, "\nthread '", 9
thread ') = 9
write(2, "main", 4main) = 4
write(2, "' has overflowed its stack\n", 27' has overflowed its stack
) = 27
write(2, "fatal runtime error: ", 21fatal runtime error: ) = 21
write(2, "stack overflow", 14stack overflow) = 14
write(2, "\n", 1
) = 1
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, [ABRT], NULL, 8) = 0
tgkill(5656, 5656, SIGABRT) = 0
--- SIGABRT {si_signo=SIGABRT, si_code=SI_TKILL, si_pid=5656, si_uid=0} ---
+++ killed by SIGABRT +++
Aborted

Last edited by elinkser; 01-07-2023 at 01:13 PM. Reason: retried spoiler
Old 10-28-2022, 12:04 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
@elinkser: Please check out the spoiler function (the eye with the X).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 12:42 PM   #11
elinkser
Groupie

Maybe because I'm on a cheap phone with tiny screen but I don't see that.
From another post I see the word written as:

Spoiler:

did this work?

If that worked I will try that.

Last edited by elinkser; 01-07-2023 at 01:17 PM. Reason: ok spoiler worked
Old 10-28-2022, 12:53 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is the FW up to date?
Old 10-28-2022, 01:30 PM   #13
elinkser
Groupie

I just updated to Software Version 4.34.20097 (cd4e1bb2c2, 9/15/22).
By the way, thanks for replying!I am a big fan of KOReader and install it everywhere including Pinephone!
Question though: Is einkvnc actually working on your Clara HD?
Old 10-28-2022, 05:02 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by elinkser View Post
Maybe because I'm on a cheap phone with tiny screen but I don't see that.
From another post I see the word written as:

Spoiler:

did this work?

If that worked I will try that.
It worked. It makes it much easier when scrolling through messages.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:04 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Then I'm out of idea .

(Also, I don't have a Clara, and have never tried this. That libgcc_s just jumped at me and seemed like a good candidate for SPF ;p).