Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Calibre reverted to freshly installed default

Don't know what happened, but I was working on my library when my computer unexpectedly powered off (didn't know it wasn't charging). When I restarted it my Calibre library had reverted to the original default gui settings.

Plus it started on a library that has never been attached to Calibre. I have a synced library in my Dropbox that isn't attached, but synced using outside tools so that I can use it on Calibre Collections. It probably is synced to Calibre because I copy the db file from the non-dropbox primary folder.

None of the plugins, or settings were showing. It was like I had freshly installed it. I checked the roaming folder and all the files were there with all the dates being current.

I had installed the newest version earlier today (before the restart). The library itself is fine, and all the library settings (columns, tags, icons, rules, etc.) are still there. Just the gui is completely "blank" and none of the other attached libraries are showing.

Also, I might add that lately it takes longer to exit Calibre than normal. Maybe it's just because my primary library is very big. My computer shows Calibre as "not responding" when I try to exit.

I looked at a bug report and it indicates that the plugins are there, but they just aren't showing.

I reset the gui using previous versions, but I don't know if there is some kind of underlying reason for this. Also, I might add that the only thing that changed was the gui.json file in the roaming folder. The previous version I reverted it to fixed it, but still, I don't want this to happen again.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Rellwood; 02-09-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:32 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
<snip>

Also, I might add that lately it takes longer to exit Calibre than normal. Maybe it's just because my primary library is very big. My computer shows Calibre as "not responding" when I try to exit.
Do you run any Library Closed plugins - such as Save Composite Custom Columns, or Save Virtual Libraries To Column - I don't know that they will slow things down at library close, just hazarding a guess that they might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
I reset the gui using previous versions, but I don't know if there is some kind of underlying reason for this. Also, I might add that the only thing that changed was the gui.json file in the roaming folder. The previous version I reverted it to fixed it, but still, I don't want this to happen again.
Why do you take backups, in case something goes belly up

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2019, 02:26 AM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Likely, the computer shutdown before it finished writing the files to the drive.

Unusual slowness can also mean the drive is full, fragmented or perhaps even an early sign of drive failure.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Taking a long time to shut down is one of the symptoms of an unnecessarily huge metadata.db. You may have one or more metadata.db files that are mostly unrecovered SQLite dead space, causing the "real data" to take up just a few percentage points of the "physical data" file size.

Run Job Spy > Utilities > Vacuum/Compress metadata.db En Masse [All Other Calibre Libraries].

Then, run Calibre's 'Check Library' for the current Library to compress it.

Then, "trim" your SSDs and defrag your HDs.

DaltonST

Last edited by DaltonST; 02-10-2019 at 11:24 AM.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
Then, run Calibre's 'Check Library' for the current Library to compress it.
DaltonST
I looked for the Check Library function in Calibre but could not find it, Tried searching the help website but did not fine any info there either. (Google searches found some very old threads that appeared to no longer apply)

So how do I find it now.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2019, 05:06 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBook View Post
So how do I find it now.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	169623

You will probably have a similar looking toolbar button with your library name.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is on the Context menu of the Library icon: Library Maintenance: Check...
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
I found the problem, At some time on the past I had dropped the Library Icon from my toolbar. (I never change libraries so did not need most of its features, so apparently took it off the toolbar.) I've added it back.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote