Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2019, 07:56 PM   #16
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I missed that part, I thought the update was to keep it synching.

I sideload anyway so that's no change to me.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:03 AM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
The Kobo mini will still synch with the Kobo store. You just have to update the software. It's just Sonys that will not anymore.
That's what I thought at first because I got two emails from Kobo. One said my WiFi wouldn't be able to use the Kobo Bookstore after Feb 28th. The other said there was a mandatory update for the Mini but it didn't say anything about not being usable for syncing and using the bookstore after the 28th. But the website makes it pretty clear that Minis will no longer work on the Kobo Bookstore and it won't sync. I wonder if something changed from the time of the original announcement?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:17 AM   #18
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Got this email too.. not sure how to care.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:09 AM   #19
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I guess I would have been a bit annoyed that the Mini was losing its support... but as much as I loved mine, I have been using my larger-screen devices much more these days. It won't affect me even if I was using it, as I have always side-loaded via Calibre or Digital Editions, and mainly use my Kobos for reading library eBooks (since Kindle does not support Canadian libraries...yet).

Anyone looking for a Kobo Mini (plus cases, snapbacks, etc) to buy?
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:07 AM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Sheesh... Basically, Kobo is dropping support for SSL 3.1 and TLS 1.0. If your device/application can handle TLS 1.2 or higher, you won't see an issue.

As to why they are dropping support? SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 are no longer considered secure. TLS 1.1 is also going to hit the dustbin in early 2020. For what it's worth, since Jan. 1, 2019, over 93% of my website connections have used TLS 1.2 or 1.3. Probably because the PCI Data Security Standard mandated no SSL 3.0/TLS 1.0 by June 30, 2018 and recommended not using TLS 1.1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobileread_encryption.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	169727  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:28 AM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sheesh... Basically, Kobo is dropping support for SSL 3.1 and TLS 1.0. If your device/application can handle TLS 1.2 or higher, you won't see an issue.
Is there some reason why Sonys (or the Mini) couldn't have their TLS updated? Especially considering the Mini — the original Touch is older and yet it will still be supported.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:11 AM   #22
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
The Sony Readers COULD have their TLS update if Sony cared about writing new firmware.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote