Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #61
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I will chip in and put Highsmith over to with a 3rd!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:40 AM   #62
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Hoopla's got the audiobook.
So does Overdrive.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #63
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
So does Overdrive.
It was the on-demand aspect I meant to invoke, even though the app isn't as good.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #64
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I will chip in and put Highsmith over to with a 3rd!
Did I miss a nomination? I see one so far for Highsmith. Or did you mean Hansen?
Old 02-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #65
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Oddly enough, Overdrive offers the e-books for all four titles in the series, even though Amazon and Kobo sell only the last two. Weird.
That is truly odd - it makes it seem as if it's not a rights problem, but some sort of glitch at the retailers. And since Caudwell/Cockburn has passed away, I don't know if anyone would be paying any attention. Oh well...I ended up picking up the ones not available in the US from the UK, so no biggie for me, but I know some folks don't want/like to travel.

In any case, if all the nominations aren't used up, here are links:

Kindle US, $7.99: https://www.amazon.com/Sirens-Sang-M...dp/B002OFVO0E/
Kobo US, $7.99: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the...ng-of-murder-1
Kindle UK, £3.99: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sirens-Sang...dp/B009NESAEW/
Kobo UK, £3.99: https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/the...ng-of-murder-1

If all the nominations are used up, I'll nominate it again some other time when it fits the theme.

Quote:
This is a wonderful series; I'll add that it really doesn't matter if you read them out of order. I don't know how many nominations are still available, though. I'll add that thematically there's a link to Left Hand of Darkness.
Yep...

Last edited by sufue; 02-06-2019 at 07:55 AM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #66
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I will second The Sirens Sang of Murder.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #67
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Did I miss a nomination? I see one so far for Highsmith. Or did you mean Hansen?
Oops, I thought it was on the list of things with 2 nods. Well, I'll be the second then.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #68
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
I will third Deep Water and Fadeout
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #69
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I’m reading the Feb. book now, and just lurking in this thread to see the nomination process in action. It feels like an auction, and my TBR list is growing - fun!
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:03 PM   #70
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I’m reading the Feb. book now, and just lurking in this thread to see the nomination process in action. It feels like an auction, and my TBR list is growing - fun!
Feel free to hop in and give a second or third to those needing it. You can have three votes.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #71
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
It feels like an auction, and my TBR list is growing - fun!
Yes, that's often how I feel after the nomination process. My TBR usually climbs by at least 3 or 4 books, even before the vote.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:53 AM   #72
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
FWIW given availability issues, I'm still going to second The Englishman's Cameo, since it sounds so exactly my sort of thing - historical mystery with great background in unusual place/time - not that I don't love ancient Rome, or ancient Egypt, or ancient England, but nice to have a bit of change from time to time.

And worth noting that not only is it cheap in the UK per @issybird, but there is an omnibus of three titles in the series for the same price (£3.99) as this one individually: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Muzaffar-Ja...dp/B00CXUERAY/ . Which, of course, I have just now bought, adding again, as others have mentioned, to my already huge TBR pile.

And, just for fun, since it says it's pub by Hachette India, I took a look in the Kobo India store and Cameo is Rs 224, which my friendly currency converter says is about US $3.12 - also pretty cheap, and less than the £3.99 in the UK. Sadly the omnibus is Rs 433 (about US $6.05) though, so if you want that, you're still better off in the UK. Link for Cameo (make sure you are in the India store): https://www.kobo.com/in/en/ebook/the-englishman-s-cameo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
No. It's not going to win, but I don't have any others I feel like nominating, and it may catch someone's eye enough to prompt a paper purchase, so if it not in breach of the rules, I'm happy for it to stay visible here.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #73
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Feel free to hop in and give a second or third to those needing it. You can have three votes.
Opps - thanks! I misundertood the FAQ and thought I only had 3 votes a year. Now I feel rich
Old 02-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #74
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Opps - thanks! I misundertood the FAQ and thought I only had 3 votes a year. Now I feel rich
Thanks for the feedback. We should tweak the FAQ. Sometimes you're so used to how things go that you don't realize what is missing or unclear. Sorry about that!

So you've got three nominations to squander this month if you'd like; they're good until 7 AM EST tomorrow after which the poll will go up.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #75
Victoria
Wizard

Great. I’ll third “The Sirens Sang of Murder”. It sounds like a good laugh.