Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-02-2018, 09:47 PM   #31
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Yes, apparently freighting all those electrons to the Antipodes is very expensive. Maybe electrons spin backwards down here like everything else, and so it costs extra.

Bookdepository will sell me the Italian audiobook on CD for the same price Kobo charges for the ebook in the US. Which is great because I want to try reading along in Italian. It will be tough, but a great way to sharpen my Italian. And I do love the way cognates can give a different flavour, like this phrase from the synopsis: "il romanzo offre un'immagine del clima di disincanto e di speranze deluse che seguì l'unificazione nazionale" - my speranze of finding a cheap copy in English were very deluse.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:44 AM   #32
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I will second Maria Duenas. I have been wanting to read something by her. I have one of her other books, The Heart Has Its Reasons, but haven’t gotten around to reading if yet!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
This is one of the things I like about the Buss translation of Monte Cristo - Buss's own comments about translation and the role of the translator. Your comments on the "ageing" of translations vs originals has me intrigued. I only have one book I can test that on, so I shall keep Kipling's19th-century Jungle Book on hand while I work through Ajay Anand's 21st-century Hindi translation to see how they stack up, thanks.
The Buss translation of Monte Cristo has been languishing on my ereader for a while; perhaps for next year I can have a challenge where I finally get to some of those, "I've been meaning to read that" books.

Buss is a good example of what I'm talking about, in a contrapositive manner. While The Three Musketeers had its detractors when we read it a few months ago, all seemed to agree that a couple of the recent translations were far superior to the earlier ones, even the ones that were contemporaneous. One of my hard and fast rules with older works going back to the classics is to eschew the public domain translation for something modern. Older translations seem inevitably fusty when modern ones delight.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:25 AM   #34
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Older translations seem inevitably fusty when modern ones delight.
When trying to decide which translation of War and Peace to read (haven't started it yet), I asked a Russophone linguistics blogger for his suggestions. His reply was interesting, I thought:
"I don't read translations any more, so I can't help you with those particular ones (when I read it in English, I used Dunnigan's, which is fine), but I'll give you the same advice I give everyone who asks about translations: read a few pages of each one you're considering and choose the one you most enjoy reading. It's like wine -- you're not going to find a really lousy one these days, so what's important is that it's to your taste. Each is going to have minor errors and odd stylistic choices, but so what? You want to have the best reading experience possible, so choose the one that will give you that. "
With that in mind, After much reading online about the main contenders, I decided to go with Tolsdtoy's preference, the Maude, despite it being so old
Old 12-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #35
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I'll nominate Stanislaw Lem's The Cyberiad: Fables for the Cybernetic Age

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2I1VD78DI4QVA

Available for $1.99 on the day I'm posting.

Well worth the price. . .
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wanted to nominate one of Simenon's romans durs that I've yet to read and had a hard time settling on one. I've decided on The Man Who Watched the Trains Go By by Georges Simenon, (Siân Reynolds, tr.), in part because it's one of his best known and in part because it's cheap in the UK and the prices on these are all over the place in regard both to title and country.

Quote:
A brilliant new translation of one of Simenon's best loved masterpieces.

'A certain furtive, almost shameful emotion ... disturbed him whenever he saw a train go by, a night train especially, its blinds drawn down on the mystery of its passengers'

Kees Popinga is a respectable Dutch citizen and family man. Then he discovers that his boss has bankrupted the shipping firm he works for - and something snaps. Kees used to watch the trains go by to exciting destinations. Now, on some dark impulse, he boards one at random, and begins a new life of recklessness and violence. This chilling portrayal of a man who breaks from society and goes on the run asks who we are, and what we are capable of.

'Classic Simenon ... extraordinary in its evocative power' Independent
Price in ascending order; they're the same at the Amazons:
Kobo UK £2.99 | Kobo AU $10.99 | Kobo CA $11.99 | Kobo US $9.99 | Audible US

251 pp.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #37
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I will second The Cyberiad. I was thinking about nominating a Lem and this has much better availability.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #38
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Since this was my theme and I was definitely aiming for non-anglocentric authors, I will nominate Kitchen by the Japanese author Banana Yoshimoto. From the summary

Quote:
In Kitchen, a young Japanese woman named Mikage Sakurai struggles to overcome the death of her grandmother. She gradually grows close to one of her grandmother's friends, Yuichi, from a flower shop and ends up staying with him and his transgender mother, Eriko.
The book works as translation on two levels - the language, and the misunderstood Erika who was struggling with being transgender in 1980s Japan. The book is a slim volume and a very fast read.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:47 PM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I can't resist noting that the six nominations in translation were each written in a different language than the others.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #40
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
I can't resist noting that the six nominations in translation were each written in a different language than the others.
Variety is the spice of life!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:19 PM   #41
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I would like to nominate The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa. [...]
I second The Leopard.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:20 PM   #42
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I wanted to nominate one of Simenon's romans durs that I've yet to read and had a hard time settling on one. I've decided on The Man Who Watched the Trains Go By by Georges Simenon, (Siân Reynolds, tr.), [...]
I second The Man Who Watched the Trains Go By.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:03 AM   #43
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I shall use my last vote to third Alone in Berlin/Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada.

It sounds very good and there would be plenty to discuss.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #44
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Since this was my theme and I was definitely aiming for non-anglocentric authors, I will nominate Kitchen by the Japanese author Banana Yoshimoto.
I was checking my OverDrive libraries for this and one has it. In Spanish! Surely that would count for a twofer? Not for me, alas. Minor rant: The book cover had the author's name and Kitchen. But when I tried to check it out, I got a warning telling me the book was in Spanish and asking if I still wanted it, which was helpful. But why isn't it called La Cocina?
Old 12-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #45
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Since this was my theme and I was definitely aiming for non-anglocentric authors,
My apologies for missing your intent - had I parsed it correctly I could have nominated something that fitted better. Are poetry anthologies eligible for nomination?