Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
deviantintegral
deviantintegral began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Any workarounds for crashes / hangs in Pocket?

It seems like the Pocket app has significant trouble with long articles on my Aura One. For example, Wikipedia articles of any length will lead to 30s+ page turns and an eventual reboot. Pocket support was helpful, but eventually let me know that the app is written and maintained by Kobo and it’s pretty clearly an app specific issue. Kobo support was remarkably unhelpful, only ever responding with “it’s Pocket’s problem and we won’t do anything”.

Are there any tweaks or workarounds for this? I don’t remember having any trouble with my prior Kobo ereader, and I miss being able to dig into 100+ page articles.
deviantintegral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Could you share a wiki page that is causing issues so others could experiment with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
deviantintegral

Try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper - by the time I got to page 37 out of 69, page turning became pretty laggy. This is after a full reset and update of the Kobo too.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:20 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't have my Aura H2O with me, but on the Aura ONE, I don't see any issues as I page through it. The 50th page is not noticeably slower than the first page.

Edit:

I should also say I don't use Pocket enough to see anything consistent.

Also, what firmware version are you running? There has been at least one that had issues with certain Pocket articles and triggered a reboot. If you are not on 4.12.12111, I would suggest updating.

Last edited by davidfor; 02-18-2019 at 12:44 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:25 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Tried it on a Clara HD with no apparent slowdowns. I will try later on a Touch and see how it goes.

I wonder if the amount of RAM on the device might make a difference?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have had an update:

I am running beta firmware and that is what I tested with. It has no problems with paging through that article. But, I have been told that there is a problem in 4.12.12111 when there is a lot of links in the article and you tap to turn the page. The further you are through the page, the slower it gets. It has seems to have something to do with handling the links and taps. It shouldn't happen if you swipe to turn the page.

And I have just put my Clara HD back to 4.12.12111. I can confirm that that article is slow to page through using taps. And just tapping to open the menus is slow. Swipe the screen and the page turns quickly. Testing an article with only a few links, and tapping to turn the page is as quick as swiping. I assume the reboot is because towards the end of the article, tapping to turn the page takes long enough to trigger a sickel reboot due what looks like the system hanging.

As my test yesterday showed, this problem has been fixed in one of the current betas. That means it should be included in the next firmware. Until that is released, I would suggest swiping when reading Pocket articles with lots of links. Of course, if you are like me, you will only remember this after tapping, waiting, then tapping again when the page doesn't turn. That would then be followed by a .
Old 02-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #7
deviantintegral

That would line up with what I’m seeing. How are you getting beta firmware releases? I’m not finding any mentions of a beta channel to opt in to.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantintegral View Post
That would line up with what I’m seeing. How are you getting beta firmware releases? I’m not finding any mentions of a beta channel to opt in to.
The beta group is run by Kobo and is by invitation.