Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2007, 02:39 AM   #1
jlc
Enthusiast
jlc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Charging light not working

The red light above the power button on my reader no longer comes on when I plug in the AC adapter or USB cable. However, the lightning symbol shows up and the battery does appear to be charging (judging from an increase in bars after plugging it in for a few hours). I initially thought the wire/lead connecting the LED must be disconnected or severed. But this guess was ruled out when I did a soft reset and saw the usual flashing yellow lights during startup.

To give a bit of background on my reader, I recently sent it in to Sony for a screen problem. They supposedly replaced the screen and updated the firmware. This was the first time I charged the reader since I got it back from them. Any suggestions/ideas?
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:33 AM   #2
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
It may still be a bad connection to the red LED. Typically devices that have a single spot showing multiple colors of light, there's a plastic fiber-optic-like part that routes the appropriate LED's light to the hole. I haven't cracked mine open to verify this, but that'd be my first guess.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2007, 04:14 AM   #3
jlc
Enthusiast

I found some internal pictures here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony_Reader_Inside

The images show a plastic piece routing light but it's unclear as to how many LED's are under it. I was under the impression that only one LED exists and different voltage levels correspond to different colors.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
jlc
Enthusiast

Update: Sony acknowledged that they were at fault and even sent me a pre-paid shipping label after a bit of coaxing. They ended up replacing the motherboard and updating the firmware. However, upon getting my reader back, a new set of problems have surfaced. Details here, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15374