Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-13-2019, 10:13 PM   #91
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
I don't really have a problem copy-pasting the patch from the previous set into the new one. And it is certainly less work (from where I stand) to run the patch to replace Georgia with Amasis than it is to rename Amasis to Georgia, especially now that the internal Amasis has all the glyphs I need and there's no reason to side-load it anymore. So if you say it's too niche then it's too niche
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:40 PM   #92
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
The best option would be for Kobo to fix Avenir - for this is the font that is used to display the device menu. And there would be no problem.

Adding to the fonts folder and using the patch requires you to perform additional actions after each reboot of the device...

Last edited by Semwize; 12-14-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2019, 02:37 AM   #93
afakler
afakler began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Custon Font Sizes

I have a problem with this patch on my Aura One. I normally read with the font slider approx. two third to the right. Under 4.19, the corresponding font size is suddenly much smaller than with 4.18. When i go now one step to the right, the font is not slightly bigger, it changes to a very large size.

I went back to 4.18 and everything is ok again.

Does any one else have this problem?

BTW, is a patch possible, that swaps the pages of the reading settings, so that it looks like in 4.18?
afakler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:20 AM   #94
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by afakler View Post
I have a problem with this patch on my Aura One. I normally read with the font slider approx. two third to the right. Under 4.19, the corresponding font size is suddenly much smaller than with 4.18. When i go now one step to the right, the font is not slightly bigger, it changes to a very large size.

BTW, is a patch possible, that swaps the pages of the reading settings, so that it looks like in 4.18?
Same problem here, also with Kobo Aura One, now I have no time for a screenshot because I disabled the patch. If I can I will post it tomorrow in the late afternoon (Greenwich time).
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:24 AM   #95
Svens
Enthusiast
Svens began at the beginning.

Device: Кіndlе5,NGL,PB650, KPW3,KPW4,KPW5, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by afakler View Post

I noticed the same problem using the patch "Custom font size". The situation is better when using the patch "Set font scale factor".
Svens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #96
afakler
afakler began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svens View Post
I noticed the same problem using the patch "Custom font size". The situation is better when using the patch "Set font scale factor".
That really does help! for the hint
afakler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:07 AM   #97
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svens View Post
new at this... this only applies to custom fonts, correct? asking because I was using a Kobo Clara font and had the same issue after setting the other patch. went to read and it was all different so I tried to adjust and it was huge. took a good bit of tweaking to get it back where I needed it. I tried other Clara fonts and the issue persisted.

thanks
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #98
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
The best option would be for Kobo to fix Avenir - for this is the font that is used to display the device menu. And there would be no problem.

Adding to the fonts folder and using the patch requires you to perform additional actions after each reboot of the device...
Yes, and I've submitted the request to Kobo, but who knows if they'll ever get to it. Plus I like replacing Georgia with Amasis

Last edited by dmapr; 12-14-2019 at 02:48 PM.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #99
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I've released v57 with fixes for "Custom font sizes" and the aforementioned changes from jackie_w.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #100
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
It's Avenir that needs fixing now.
Yes, of course, Avenir. Corrected the post)
Old 12-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #101
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
I don't really have a problem copy-pasting the patch from the previous set into the new one. And it is certainly less work (from where I stand) to run the patch to replace Georgia with Amasis than it is to rename Amasis to Georgia, especially now that the internal Amasis has all the glyphs I need and there's no reason to side-load it anymore. So if you say it's too niche then it's too niche
We'll see how it goes. If enough people keep asking for it, it can be made "official". I take your word that using the Kobo-improved Amasis instead of Georgia solves a GUI problem for Russian users. However, I wonder if it solves any problems for Vietnamese users?

Re: the copy-pasting. I'm never sure how many kobopatch users know this...

Using nickel.yaml as an example, are you aware that you don't need to copy your customised nickel patches out of one nickel.yaml into the next after each fw update?

You can put all your customised nickel patches into a separate file (e.g. nickel_custom.yaml, but can be any name) and change each patch name slightly in the custom file. Then tell your kobopatch.yaml file to read both nickel.yaml/nickel_custom.yaml. In this way you can leave the official nickel.yaml untouched and let your custom yaml files and kobopatch.yaml travel from one firmware to the next.

It can save a lot of work at firmware upgrade time, but it isn't 100% foolproof for all customisations. Kobo sometimes make changes which prevent an old custom patch working, which then requires comparing old nickel_custom.yaml version with new nickel.yaml version and replicating the new bits in the custom file.

I won't elaborate more in case you already know all this.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:28 AM   #102
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

I won't elaborate more in case you already know all this.
that main kobopatch.yaml file can be customized too, right? I guess you could keep a modified yaml and just overlay the important info each time too, right? does the kobopatch.yaml stay the same each time or does it change?

still so much to learn
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #103
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
using the Kobo-improved Amasis instead of Georgia solves a GUI problem for
Georgia font is fine, problems with Avenir, which lacks glyphs.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #104
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
What is a simple and easy way to carry over my settings in the patches in the previous firmware to the current one?

EDIT: Read Jackie_W's post #101. Seems this topic was covered and I overlooked it.

I'll just go ahead and compare the old/new ones and enable/disable as I go just so there are no surprises when I do the upgrade and patch.

Last edited by tayseidel; 12-14-2019 at 10:57 AM.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #105
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
that main kobopatch.yaml file can be customized too, right? I guess you could keep a modified yaml and just overlay the important info each time too, right? does the kobopatch.yaml stay the same each time or does it change?
There's no "One True Way". geek1011 has provided various options. Do what suits you best.

My kobopatch.yaml is used as Mission Control and gets used as-is from fw to fw. The only things that get changed (except when I'm doing beta testing) are:
- the 2 occurrences of firmware number up at the top
- when I want to add a brand new patch to my list of enabled patches.
- when I've decided to permanently disable a previously used patch

I never change Enabled: no to Enabled: yes in the other yaml files. All on/off control is done in kobopatch.yaml.

Some people like to keep a full list of all patches in their kobopatch.yaml but I prefer to restrict mine to just the ones I'm going to enable - mainly because there are already so many in there, without cluttering it up with ones I'm never going to use.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching